What items do you carry multiples of while in the backcountry?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’ve been using lithium AAAs in my headlamps for 10+ years- they’re lighter, they operate much better in the cold and last a little longer. The only downside is cost, but I’m not using my lamps daily (I’d go rechargeable if I did).

Back when I was regularly carrying a Garmin GPS (don't carry that anymore with smart phone tech) I switched to lithiums. I switched in the headlamps too and never went back. They definitely make a difference.

TaperPin

WKR
I’ve been using lithium AAAs in my headlamps for 10+ years- they’re lighter, they operate much better in the cold and last a little longer. The only downside is cost, but I’m not using my lamps daily (I’d go rechargeable if I did).
Even back in 1995 the weight savings per $ spent made lithium AA batteries one of the most cost effective ways to save weight. That was a disappointment to learn at the time - I really wanted the latest lighter sleeping pad, and batteries aren’t as sexy. Lol

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I started bringing and using two headlamps. For long hikes in the dark I hang my little light around my neck to light up where my feet are. Safer and I can make better time doing that.

JohnB

WKR
Headlamps. Some combination of a Black Diamond Spot, Nitecore NU25 and the Petal E-lite in my first aid kit
Knives: Currently a Cold Steel Canadian Belt knife and a Havalon
Bic lighter: I think I actually have 3 between the first aid kit, bino harness and inside my pot
Tikka magazines: 3 round in the rifle and a 5 in my pocket

Clayman77

FNG
Fire - pyro putty bic / ferro rod
Trash bags
Knives large fixed small fixed
Socks
bandana
1 headlamp 1 pocket light - extra batteries
Ammo
Shirt- merino
Redundancy is smart

Hogs122

FNG
Rifle, Knives, bullets, lights, matches, head lamp, lighter and pairs of socks.
I’ve always felt the saying, “one is none and two is one.”

But when it comes to backcountry hunting, where weight is a premium you can get way too heavy quickly by packing your fears so to speak.

That said what items do you still carry multiples of in case of failure or misplacement?

For me the list is pretty short.

Headlamp. I’ve always got a spare. I thought about ditching my spare this year because it always lives around my neck anyway, but it’s just too critical of an item and too lightweight. I sort of view it any “spare”as being place to hold spare AAA batteries in case my main headlamp dies.

Bic lighter. Super lightweight and so critical it’s inexcusable not to have more than one.

Spare merino liner gloves. They are so lightweight it’s hard not to justify throwing them in. It really sucks to lose a glove when you are several miles from the truck and it’s cold.

Spare socks. This one goes without saying, but I have paired it down to just one spare pair as long as I’m not out for more than 3 days. I can usually dry out wet socks at night and keep them on rotation.

ETA forgot about knives! One fixed blade and one pocket knife. The pocket knife lives on me so I forgot to even mention it as a spare.

Smallie

WKR
-Two ways to filter water (have had a sawyer squeeze freeze on me for a bit)
-Two ways to start fire plus a bunch of cotton balls dipped in Vaseline
-Two headlamps and some batteries (keep one headlamp in first aid kit)
-Two knives and spare set of socks. Sometimes 2 pairs if on longer trips