What is your go to bugle and cow call?

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
For me the bugle call is a toss up between the elk allstar diaphragm by Bugling Bull game calls and the Xseries Satellite diaphragm call by Berry Game Calls. The allstar is extremely easy to use and very realistic. The Xseries gives me a variation on the xtreme high pitch bulls make when enraged in close. It is a little more difficult to get the tones right., but very effective. Both give me excellent grunts and chuckles.

For a cow call I go to the Mellow Yellow Mama by Bugling Bull and the estrus excited call by Steve Chappell. Both can give you those sweet cow calls and are extremely easy to use.

What is your favorite call?

i like the Screamin Tormentor for both. i'm learning to use the Carltons Triple (the brown one) and really liking it. it seems to have a deeper tone and sounds bigger. i have 2 external reed calls that i really like too for cow sounds. the Temptress and the Fightin Cow. both great calls IMHO.

I have started using the Mossback Bugle Tubes in combination with Primos and the Mossback diaphragms. Reed calls -- IMAKADABULL Crazy from Primos and the Hyper Widow Maker from Mossback and a Trinity Wood and Game call made up in Denver I think.

JPhelps

Lil-Rokslider
Modified whiffle ball bat for my bugle tube. With my own diaphragms.

For cow call I also use one of my custom made cow calls and diaphragms.

>>>---WW---->

Lil-Rokslider
Raging Bull and Herd Master diaphrams and Elknut's Chuckler tube for bugles. For cow calls I also use the Raging Bull. Also the Scream-
n-Tormentor is good for both. I also use the Little Chuckler.

ElkNut1

WKR
Ross, you know my choice is the Chucklers! (grin) This year I will most likely stick with the Lil Chuckler exclusively, I have a different design that I really like the sound it has plus it's shorter & smaller diameter 2-1/4"! For reeds, I use the Challenge for far reaching & big bull sounds, my A/P (All Purpose) favorite reed is the Closer, this reed will do it all.

Ross, it took me a while to figure out who you were? I knew I recognized your face & now remember you! (grin) You're an excellent elk hunter!

ElkNut1

ceetoo

FNG
Use the Bully Bull grunt tube, but don't really have a 'go-to' reed. Seems every year I try out another half dozen calls. Don't have any of Paul's though - guess I better do something about that...

OP
Ross

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Appreciate the kind words Paul! Elk hunting for me, like yourself is a large part of my life, so I am always looking to learn something new, enhance my time afield and enjoy anything and everything elk. Good luck this coming year!

G Posik

WKR
I use a mini chuckler from those guys over at elknuts.com, like Paul small and compact easy to carry. I have another one of the chucklers as well but find I do not take it nearly as much. Great product Paul keep up the good work.

Glenn

buglelk

FNG
My go to calls are the same as TheBugler's....All-star diaphragm for all elk sounds with the Bully Bull grunt tube. I also like using the Temptress to get some variation in tone and sounds.

Corey
Elk101.com - Extreme Elk Magazine

flytrait

Lil-Rokslider
I like the Primos single dome, but just started using the Allstar as well. The Bully Bull Grunt tube is the only one I use.

I like the Screamin Tormentor for bugles and Mellow Yellow for cow sounds.

For bugle tube I have been going back and forth between the Bully Bull and Elknut Chuckler, and I can't decide which I like better. Both sound great!

The temptress brought in a few bulls last year. For whatever reason, the white reed from Primos has had a lot of success for me but I also like the mellow yellow and the closer.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Chuckler tube, Chappells blue reed, primos red and white, all Star, and the Temptress.

ridgefire

WKR
bully bull grunt tube with the brown reed from bugling bulls for bugling and the mellow yellow diaphram and the hyper lip for cow calls

thebugler

FNG
For me...... Diaphragm reeds: Allstar, and Raging Bull. Open reed cow call: Temptress. Bugle tube: Bully Bull. These calls (IMO)not only are the most realistic on the market, but they are built to last. I get all season out of a couple of diaphragms and the Temptress is designed to not get loaded up with spit causing it to freeze up. All of them are built by Bugling Bull game calls.