What is the most devastating .30 cal bullet you are aware of?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
I normally try to take out a shoulder to limit mobility if they do run but they just drop.

And you believe they are dropping due to the 338fed and not because you are breaking the spine?

Rich M

WKR
Nosler Partition gives some good bloodshot meat if that's what you are looking for.

No idea why you are worried about a "blow it to smithereens" type of bullet.

Punch a hole in the lungs is what you really need to be worried about.

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
178 AMAX/ELD-M is phenomenal in a 308. Huge amounts of damage. I almost blew a coyote in half with one once. I couldn't believe how bad it was. They cause consistently bad damage (almost too much).

I hunted for a while with 155 Lapua Scenar match bullets in .308. Not as devastating as the AMAX, but really effective and accurate in a 308.

06 SB

FNG
And you believe they are dropping due to the 338fed and not because you are breaking the spine?
I generally make the same shots with other cartridges. Also, I do not aim or normally break the spine with any shots. I cannot explain it either…

I was a little devastated to learn my new to me 300 WM was way more gun with far more recoil than I need for any game in North America. She does look good on the wall. :)
20220113_115518.jpg

FLS

WKR
150 Nosler Ballistic tips out of a 300 WSM. I shot several does in the neck and the only thing holding the head on was a strip of skin. Shoot one in the shoulder and the front end was wrecked. I switched to 180 NBTs and there was significantly less damage, tougher jacket and slower impact velocity, but decided that was still way more gun than I needed to kill a deer.
125 NBTs and Sierras out of a 308 will make a mess too if the impact velocity is high.

Last edited:

FLS

WKR
I’ve had deer drop on the spot, yet when cleaning / butchering them there is no apparent damage to the spine. My guess is they were stunned, I don’t know the medical term, by the impact and bled out before they could get up? I’ve shot a lot of deer and this is pretty common.