What is the deal with latex gloves?

I have shot a lot of animals in my day and have never once worn a pair of latex gloves while skimming, gutting or cleaning an animal. I have never seen anyone I have hunted with in Tx use them either. But seems everyone out of Texas is scared to get bloody?? I don't have any disease from it. Guess I don't get it.

Shrek

WKR
I get the fitted surgical gloves and I find that it makes it easier to clean . I get a better grip and my hands don't get as cold it seems. Clean up is easier also. I keep a couple of pairs with me and if I get hair sticking to me and getting on meat I'm handling I just change the gloves. Very nice when you don't have running water to clean your hands while you work.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was 10 when I shot my first deer, couldn't wait to get in there and gut it. Apparently I had a cut on my hand and when I came into contact with its insides I caught something. Shit green for 3 weeks before telling my mom something was wrong and went to the doc. After some tests the first question they asked me was if I had been in contact with any wild animals. Now I always wear gloves. Call me a puss but I don't want whatever I had 14 years ago lol.

Craig4791

WKR
I' am sure someone with a medical background will chime in here but it just seems like a reasonably easy way to reduce risk to me. I just started using them myself last year and now wear a pair of light weight cut-less gloves over the latex to prevent against small cuts and pokes.

I love the outdoors and hunting and i want to stay healthy so i can continue to do it.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
When I remember to where them I am glad I do. Simply, when 7 plus days in the back country and limited water, it is nice to keep the blood and guts off of them. I am sure it is safer also having a barrier between the animals fluids and our open cuts on our hands, but I am no doctor.

Brad W

FNG
What he said, bears can be nasty. Sepsis is a possibility with any animal blood. I usually have cuts and scratches on my hands before the skinning anyway, from work or devils club or something else.

Tag stew

Lil-Rokslider
I never used them at all growing up, not on wild game or butchering lambs for the freezer, until I had kids. I felt it was one thing to take any risk for myself but I didn't want to bring anything back to the little ones if I could help it. If you think about it, it's almost impossible to get it all off in the field especially the stuff you cant see with the naked eye, then you hop in your truck touch all kinds of stuff there, get home touch your front door, ect, then my kids touch all that well you get the picture of transference. No way to completely avoid some contact but gloves will help with some of that. Like blb078 said why not wear them?. And just because you don't have any disease from it does not mean you won't someday(knock on wood).

It helps keep blood and bacteria from getting into your bloodstream. Also you need to change after 20 minutes. Latex will weakin and allow things thru.

IrishnId

WKR
Tularemia. Look it up. I know a guy that had contracted it from muskrats, and I want nothing to do with it.

I started wearing them a couple of years ago I think you get a better grip and the cleanup is a lot easier. Plus I would rather not get infected because I always seem to have a nick or something on my hands or fingers

I don't wear them just because it's another thing to remember and I typically hunt in areas with plentiful water. I also don't gut anything though just use the gutless method which to me is very low risk for infection. View it just about the same as cutting and wrapping the meat at home. I also hardly ever get blood past my wrists this way so clean up isn't bad. Sure don't miss the days of blood up past the elbows from gutting deer or elk!

Mike

Thanks, didn't realize that. Thought it was either.

Not trying to say not to wear gloves, just passing some info along.

If you are going to wear gloves, make sure you buy the right type. You want medical exam gloves. The automotive and food safe types will not protect you the same way and if your going to pack them you might as well have the proper ones.

Personally I have never seen or heard of anyone wearing gloves while cleaning animals until I started to follow this forum. I guess it's not hurting anything by using them.

I just can't see myself packing them.

Daniel_M

WKR
Trichinosis is transferred to humans from eating infected meat and not through blood contact, so gloves aren't doing anything for you on this one.

To clarify- its consumption of raw or undercooked from an animal that carries the appropriate larvae/tape worm.

Every black bear I've killed or helped pack out had a gut full of worms. My 2012 fall bear was loaded with worms! Cooked properly is avoided and I've never been sick, black bear from the right terrain is my favorite!