What if you shoot 20 great arrows?

Colobwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
Do you keep going?
Or do you stop shooting and go to bed feeling like Superman?
I’ve been shooting a lot for the last few months getting ready for Elk season and after tonight’s practice was wondering what other people do after shooting awesome!

Hondo0925

Lil-Rokslider
This post cracks me up. I was just thinking the same thing. I called it after 15+ arrows and I’m going to bed Superman.

jimh406

WKR
Unless you are trying to build endurance or evaluating an arrow build or tuning, there is no reason to keep shooting. You are wearing out equipment and increasing the chance of damaging arrows.

Actually, you'd be better off shooting one arrow which is more similar to hunting. Well, hopefully, you usually shoot one arrow at each animal.

Reactions: Zac
I only shoot 1 arrow at a time then walk up and pull it. Usually about 3 weeks before the season starts. Repeat this about 8-10 times in a session at different ranges. Rest of the year I’ll shoot 2-4 arrows at a time.

There are two ways to rank yourself as an archer...

1. "You're only as good as your last arrow"

2. "You're only as good as your next arrow"

Neither one gets you over the hump of self doubt and insecurity (speaking from personal experience).

The fix is to know your shot well enough to know that you can make the next shot perfect because your shot process is bulletproof and blueprinted.

applesauce4000

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a new archer (about a year). So I've been just trying to pump arrows through. For all of the activities I've done in life, I've found the most success when I focus, have fun (don't worry too much), and do it a lot. Archery's been mostly the same, but I definitely need to focus more on form at times.

Neither one gets you over the hump of self doubt and insecurity (speaking from personal experience).

The fix is to know your shot well enough to know that you can make the next shot perfect because your shot process is bulletproof and blueprinted.
This

BTLowry

FNG
I generally keep 5-7 arrows in my hip quiver and try and shoot 3-4 rounds at 2 different targets (one 20yds behind the other) and don't have any kind of routine. I may shoot first from 40yds or 15yds, I just pick a distance on the way out to where my target is

I like to end on a good shot BUT if I start out with a few crappy shots I will put the bow up and come back later with a fresh outlook. No need to get frustrated and continue to chip at confidence :)

Like has already been said, the first shot is the only one that usually counts when hunting

For me each shooting session is done with purpose and that changes the number of arrows released. I set up my own bows and I shoot a lot more arrows getting them dialed, sometimes 100 or so. I am breaking in the bow and don't care how well they shoot or group. The initial set up gets me close. Each arrow is still shot with form as first and that never changes, but I'll shoot a lot to get things to settle then shoot less the next time.

I don't set an arrow count. If I shoot 20 great arrows I'll keep shooting another 20 (or a 100) if I can shoot them great. Form takes a lot of practice. I have heard some archery coaches talk about shooting 1000 arrows in a day. For me this is not possible, but the more arrows I can shoot in a session with the same form and consistency the more likely I am training the mind and muscles into habit. I stop shooting when the form breaks down. Unless I'm building endurance and muscle. I often don't care where the arrow goes as long as the form is good, and the arrow flies well. If the form is good and the arrow flies off then I can start to narrow down the problem. Good arrow flight and good form is the focus of my shooting sessions. The goal is to get consistent small groups then I can sight in to make the groups hit the point of aim.

When it's hunting season I think the first arrow of each session is the most important for me as it mimics the one arrow on an animal. Those sessions may come once a week or once every few days so that first arrow stone cold with no practice tells me a lot about how well I have muscle memoried my form. I don't stop with one shot. I will keep shooting again focusing on form.

Maybe that's too serious for some, but I enjoy the challenge of it. To each his own, I don't really think there is like a wrong way to practice per se.

Rembo

FNG
sometimes I shoot great sometimes not so great but at the end of the session I realize it was still better than not shooting at all. And if I shot great I try and forget it, so don’t feel overconfident next time out.

miket

FNG
I dont think I have shot 20 straight in years. I used to shoot a lot. Kept shooting till I just decided I was done for the moment. Then I started developing target panic. It crept in slowly and it took a while to recognize. The worse and more I shot, the worse it got. I did the blank bale thing etc and it helped but the only thing that really keeps it at bay was not shooting at a dot and not shooting often. The less often I shot, the better I got. I go months without shooting and pick up my bow and shoot a couple and its like I never stopped as far as accuracy goes.

Thankfully the target panic never transferred to shooting at animals or 3d targets. Its the dot that gets me.

In prep for deer season and my moose trip next month I have been shooting 3-6 arrows a day. Thats it.

Beendare

WKR

Bingo...good post!

Muskykris

Lil-Rokslider
when it comes time to start getting in bow shape for archery moose, i try to shoot 25-50 a day.
sometimes i shoot twice if its a day off during the week. its always nice to end on a high note but i generally shot till i had enough.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I don’t hardly shoot 20 arrows getting ready for hunting season, must less in a day. Got about another month before it’s time to start practicing. Season starts October 15th.

Avgjoe77

FNG
I might shoot 3 and call it quits...
But I try to shoot a few most days of the week, starting 3-4 months before the season starts. I've found I shoot better if I consistently shoot 15-20 minutes every day.

I either have 3 or 5 arrows in my quiver. If it is three, I shoot 9 times. If it is five, I shoot 10 times. That is it.

In terms of building endurance, rather than shooting a bunch of times, I find it much better to hold my arrow for a full 30 count before releasing. When I am hunting, I am much more likely to have to hold at full draw rather than shoot 5 arrows really fast.

Practice like you play.

WCB

WKR
I screwed on my broadheads the other day...Took one shot at 40 and one shot at 50. Went back inside.