What if onX...

I don't think the issue is technical at all. It could be done and probably very easily. But there are easier ways to get more relevant data. All one needs to do is submit a Freedom of Information Request and get GPS tracking data from the state biologists.

OP
ODB

ODB

WKR
Understand guys, my comment was not really serious, but we live in a data-driven world.

Here’s how I see it:

people who use onX are likely more serious about hunting/ fishing/hiking than the average person and look for “better” places

they are likely more organized and will name waypoints accuracy and with the proper icon

waypoints from traveling hunters are probably based on more solid info than average

you could learn a hell of a lot about hunter trends, harvest rates, resource use by watching waypoints/tracks.

it’s no different than Apple/yelp/whatever deriving trends based on user behaviour, just applied to the outdoors.

I don’t think they do it, but if I were onX I’d be damn curious what folks are doing.

if you work at onX, at least give me credit for planting the seed if you start doing this.;-)

elkyinzer

WKR
I don't think that's effective or scalable as a product they could monetize. Thinking about the data security element of hunt mapping I think high profile individuals can and probably already have their maps hacked, but for the average dude no real worries there.

SonnyDay

WKR
No question individual software engineers could probably benefit from access to this data... but as a company money-making strategy I can't imagine it's worth the risk.

I'd be curious to look at their entire database to look at only true geo-located waypoints/breadcrumbs. Where are those spots that have none or very little traffic?

hbc07

FNG
Seems like a better strategy would be to mine the internet for EXIF location data on grip and grins, do some data science voodoo, and sell the output.

OP
ODB

ODB

WKR
I'd be curious to look at their entire database to look at only true geo-located waypoints/breadcrumbs. Where are those spots that have none or very little traffic?

See, now your’e seeing things from the data perspective. The negative space is as important as the positive.
It would be really interesting to map all of it. I bet they do it, just for fun. I would.

dtrkyman

WKR
How would you know what waypoints are worth selling? I drop tons of my waypoints from the couch e scouting, most do not pay off!

Backyard

WKR
Yep! Thats what they’re doing. Unless you have your tinfoil hat on when you mark one. Then they cant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you had access to all the client data, you could create a heat map of all the waypoints of a certain type (say the buck waypoint) and determine where more hunters are reporting bucks.

It would be a good starting point but if any company did that it would kick off a mass exodus of that platform

stonewall

WKR
Next time I run into some guys in my colorado spot I’ll give them some serious questioning about how they got my waypoint. 😉

it would be interesting to see heat maps across the whole platform tho. But yeah they’d be out of business if that got out

fwafwow

WKR
What if onX improved their interface? Maybe it's me, but it seems incredibly difficult to use, on the app and desktop. Well, not difficult, but it could be so much easier. And why if someone shares a waypoint with me am I unable to edit it? Sorry to hijack the post...

What if onX improved their interface? Maybe it's me, but it seems incredibly difficult to use, on the app and desktop. Well, not difficult, but it could be so much easier. And why if someone shares a waypoint with me am I unable to edit it? Sorry to hijack the post...

You can’t edit it because it’s a one way view of their live waypoint. If they edit it you will get the updated version. If you want to edit it have them text you the UTM grid. Then you can do whatever you want. I had asked their team if it was in the works and they said yes but a ways down the road. Requires quite a bit of changes to the way the sharing portion is programmed.

Still easier then KML files.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

406unltd

WKR
I live in Missoula MT where they are at. It absolutely blew my mind that I saw this thread right now. I was telling people at work during both 2017-2018 seasons that I have 4 spots that I hunt 95% of the time. Of those spots I have seen an unbelievable sky rocket in hunter numbers out of nowhere. I was telling them that I felt like these dudes COULD be using other peoples info for their own benefit lol. A handful agreed that some of the surrounding local areas they go have been flooded as of late as well. Idk if that’s really happening but all I know is that it came out of nowhere and all of a sudden a giant influx of people were in these areas that were largely unoccupied before. Im not saying nobody else ever goes there cause that’s not true. I’m simply saying that it had a noticeable jump in hunters almost overnight. Most waypoints marked whether they are for pooping, a blood trail or anything in between is important. They all show what parts of the mountain a hunter was on and or likes to use ie where the critters are. You’re not going ten miles down the ridge line to shit. The data they could possibly abuse will get anyone that knows what they are doing plenty close to steal spots. Again I’m not saying they do it but if more than a few people have started to wonder it’s definitely possible. As far as guys saying it’s not worth the risk to them I’d just remind you of this...... people do dumb shit all the time. Not just retards, but accomplished/ successful human beings do dumb shit and take stupid risks. In the end they are just people, and people are flawed. Hunters in this day in age who want to be popular and glorified do dumb shit all the time like poach. People get obsessed with killing the big one. Hell a guy I work with straight up shot a FN buck on two creek ranch by ovando cause it was big. Shot the damn buck that was on private with a barbwire fence. I worked on this ranch in high school cause the people that run it were the parents of my good friends I was in high school with in seeley lake. Then he gets caught by my friends uncle who helps run the ranch. He says he ended up getting away with it and he just made him feel like shit about it. Either way my point is sometimes when people have things they want rubbed in their face they do the wrong things. Holy shit what a rant 😂 I apologize.