What I learned my first Kodiak blacktail hunt

We’ve done 4 guys in a Beaver with a decent camp for a week, shot 9 deer and came out in one load. But I have used more than one plane before, man the cost sure goes up so I do my best to get everything we’d actually need into one.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
I'd guess we were around the same 500lb total as you when you add all four guys personal gear, camp gear, and food.

We had 42lbs per person on group items not counting stove fuel. My personal gear was 73lbs.

I don't have complete number like I did on our last trip. When we decided to do a Beaver and a 206 for this trip rather than just fit in a Beaver I knew we were not going to be anywhere near our weight limit so I didn't track it as close. We bought more fresh food on Kodiak to go with the bigger kitchen.

Looking at where things added up on Excel, we used a Jetboil Full Gen that's a lot heavier than the MSR Windburner set we used last time. We rented a big propane bottle to run it. We didn't need that much, but it was insurance in case we got stuck out longer. Our bear fence was another heavy item we never packed before, as was the 15'x15' cook tarp that weighs 7.5lbs. We also took two 2 man tents and a bigger 6 man tent. We wanted the option to spike out with the smaller tents if we decided to. Also as I said earlier, 2 guys slept in the big tent and we all stored our spare clothes bags in there. The other two of us slept in the smaller tents. Having the space was nice with 4 of us.

Next time we will be lighter and more streamlined. It was nice having some of the stuff but we didn't need all of it. Looking at my caribou list I was at 52lbs of personal gear, 19.5lbs of group stuff. That hunt was with 3 guys also so the camp weight split was different.

I think Seahawk Air could take 1500lbs on their Beaver too if I remember correctly. That could be the difference between 1 and 2 planes for a lot of groups. A couple of the guys in our group really needed to get home on time if at all possible. We thought our odds may be better of that happening with Island Air, just because they had more planes. I saw nothing but good reviews on either transporter.

Edit: That weight on the caribou trip was from my after-trip revised list. After these hunts I re-save my list with any changes I’d make while its fresh in my mind. I was a little heavier on the caribou trip but thats close.

Last edited:
OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
One thing we tried that didn’t work great was the UCO candle lanterns. They are good for lighting but less for heat. All the heat they produce goes out the top vents. I could touch the glass even after it burned for a while. I tried the single candle one in my Kuiu Storm Star, the guys in the 6 man tried the 3 candle version. They may help a little with condensation, but not enough I’ll bring them again.

Voyageur

WKR
One thing we tried that didn’t work great was the UCO candle lanterns. They are good for lighting but less for heat. All the heat they produce goes out the top vents. I could touch the glass even after it burned for a while. I tried the single candle one in my Kuiu Storm Star, the guys in the 6 man tried the 3 candle version. They may help a little with condensation, but not enough I’ll bring them again.
After using the UCO candle on a caribou hunt I came to the same conclusion.

VernAK

WKR
I've used UCOs extensively for years. They don't produce enough BTUs for serious space heating but I've spent the night on the mountain wrapped in a space blanket with an UCO between my knees. I keep a three candle UCO in my vehicle for winter travel. It will melt snow in a metal cup on top.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
Mine ended up back in my winter truck kit also. I could see them warming things right up inside a space blanket. Seeing the blanket trick was what drew me to them in the first place. I carry a couple Exotac Nano candles in my survival kit in my pack partly for that reason.

I like using reflective blankets and fire in winter when I can. We do a winter camp out each February on the river to make sure there isn't a blue cat that forgot to move downstream to deeper water. So far there has not been, but it's fun to get out anyway. Wide open sand bars make for a good spot to have a fire, so I use a 5x7 space blanket to reflect heat back into my waxed canvas 9x9 tarp. Break the wind with the tarp and it gets nice and warm in there.

In the tent I think to much of the heat stayed up at the top of the tent, or was lost out the top with nothing reflective up there to send it back. Did you ever find a good way to warm a tent with them?

Attachments

• 0CF5EEBD-0D00-4907-97D0-7EA9AA17B96E.jpeg
    0CF5EEBD-0D00-4907-97D0-7EA9AA17B96E.jpeg
    372.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 629D8274-913D-407C-B9D8-F5BBCE7B67CC.jpeg
    629D8274-913D-407C-B9D8-F5BBCE7B67CC.jpeg
    442.9 KB · Views: 48

HuntNaked

FNG
@mcseal2 This is a fantastic post. I am planning my first DIY trip on Kodiak for October 2023 and all the research is overwhelming. This is very helpful information. Thank you very much for the great intel.

Thanks, we are planning a first black tail hunt on kodiak in early September. Doing a lot of reading and learning. Appreciate the time and effort of your post.

Beendare

WKR
Wow, what an incredibly detailed write up- well done.

We go in with 4 guys a beaver- bowhunting…but we have refined our gear down over the years.

My bet- you are smiling at that👆🏼 comment thinking about how much lighter you would be on the next trip- fyi, it never changes- grin.

I was on Raspberry last yr…headed back to Kodiak this yr late, this time recurve only.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
Wow, what an incredibly detailed write up- well done.

We go in with 4 guys a beaver- bowhunting…but we have refined our gear down over the years.

My bet- you are smiling at that👆🏼 comment thinking about how much lighter you would be on the next trip- fyi, it never changes- grin.

I was on Raspberry last yr…headed back to Kodiak this yr late, this time recurve only.

We definitely can cut some weight out. Some of us are going on a 2024 boat hunt. We won’t know what to do only needing hunting gear and no camp, food, etc.