What Emergencies Have You Had Before Season Start?

Fogalo

Lil-Rokslider
My truck frame rusted through. Was doing the ole pre hunt inspection Wednesday and found crack in about three feet of the frame. Wisconsin winters kill trucks…. I guess I’m going to have to buy a new truck.

On another note, anyone looking to buy a truck to part out?

IDVortex

WKR
Worse thing to have happen is some how 3 pins loosened up on my sight and now I need to re-sight my bow in tomorrow.

Fogalo

Lil-Rokslider
lol I broke a sight on a hunt and electric tapped it on the side of a mountain. Shot a bull the next day… at 4 yards. Didn’t really need the sight after all

MT_Fin

WKR
Not an emergency, but I had a walking boot out in this week due to a broke foot which, if all goes well, will keep me down until beginning of October. So rifle antelope will be the kick off most likely.

Colobwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
Wow, my problem seems insignificant compared to some of these!
On my final scouting trip my 4 wheeler left me stranded on the mountain. Spent the next day diagnosing and getting it fixed before season. Then I figured I would re-confirm my broadhead flight ( had my bow shooting lights out ). Figures it’s off! Spent the next day getting it back in tune, now I’m back to work until the 3rd and season starts the 2nd!
Hope I got everything fixed guess we’ll find out!

sambo3006

FNG
On opening morning of gun season one year, a folding pocket knife folded up on my trigger finger big knuckle like a guillotine. Layed it open good. I needed stitches, but shooting light was in about an hour. Bandaged it up and hunted. Later in the day it had swelled up to the point that it was very hard to get my glove off. I never did get the stitches and it took over a month to finally seal up all the way. For several years it would hurt when it got cold.
One year in Utah the upper limb on my new bow (a Parker) cracked badly. It was the first time I had not taken a back up bow on an out of state hunt. I had extra strings, cables, bow press, everything but a new limb. My buddy was also left handed, so we shared his bow.
About a week and a half before a Colorado elk hunt, the 300 RUM I had at the time trashed a 3.5-10 Leupold. Luckily they sent me another one in time for the hunt. On the second day of the hunt, I contracted some sort of awful lower GI bug. To make matters worse, the furnace in my sketchy camper quit. There I was, spending the whole night on the crapper in 20 degree temp schitting my brains out. I got so dehydrated that everything was spinning and it felt like someone was beating on my skull from the inside with a hammer. Montrose was a two hour drive without stopping every five minutes to butt spew, so I gutted it out until mid morning the next day. Went into town and stocked up on Immodium and Gatorade. The day after, I was sitting on an about 4 foot square flat rock that jutted out of a sea of thick oak brush on a steep slope, overlooking a basin below me. It hit me again with almost no warning, so I quickly reviewed my limited options, dropped trou, and hung off the side of the rock, schitting into oblivion below me. I wasn't about to crap on the only tiny, open, level spot for hundreds of yards. I killed my elk a the next day. When I got back home, I was 17 pounds under weight, having left for the hunt at 170 pounds and coming back home at 153.
About 4 years ago I was headed for south central Idaho for a deer hunt when my catalytic converter went out in Utah. The cat was so clogged up that the Subaru Outback would barely run. I crawled underneath in the parking lot of an O'Reilly Auto in Ogden and changed out the exhaust manifold after being up for nearly 24 hours already. I had to basically drop the entire exhaust system to get it done. That sucked.
Last year on a hunt in Utah, a front wheel bearing went out on a different SUV. I limped it to an auto parts store that had a wheel hub assembly in stock and changed it out. I always carry enough tools to do any repair I'm capable of on an out of state hunt. I got tired of all those repairs, so I bought a new truck this year.

Last edited:

williaada

WKR
I just pulled my calf muscle and can barely walk. I was told 5-6 weeks of not exercise.

ScottinPA

WKR
Not right before the hunt but in I was told I needed to have prostate cancer treatments after lining up a drop camp and drawing MT tags. Of course surgery was delayed until June and treatments until July. Not where I want to be physically but I'm shooting good and will give it my all.
Had worse cancer treatments in 2013 and had to postpone the hunt. Shot the bull in my avatar the next year. Maybe I'll have similar luck...

Have a fuel leak in one the lines coming from the fuel pump. Lifted the bed up and confirmed where it is. Borrowed my BIL’s truck over Labor Day and killed my elk on the first morning. Now I just have to find the time to replace the line.

During a late season rifle elk hunt in Utah I rolled my atv 800+ feet down the mountain. I was stuck underneath it trying to keep it from rolling over the top off me since it was half on the trail and half off. I had to let go and scrambled out of the way and in the process ended up rolling like a tootsie roll about 70 feet down the mountain as well. My brother was behind me and saw the whole thing. He thought I was dead. Had to pull it out a week or so later with two atv’s and 3000’ of cable and rope.

WoodrowCall

Lil-Rokslider
I get to add to this after yesterday… Was getting some practice in before I leave next week. Nock broke upon release and derailed my bow. 2 bent cams and cut string. Lucky it didn’t completely blow up in my hand!

Was shooting darts prior to this. Feeling confident. Didn’t know whether to scream or cry when it happened…

Attachments

• IMG_7719.jpeg
    IMG_7719.jpeg
    294.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_7721.jpeg
    IMG_7721.jpeg
    308.6 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

TheHammer

WKR
Lastnight my bow decided to break for the 2nd time in 2 weeks. I’ve been talking about retiring it and mounting it with my first archery bull. Rushed to the bow shop and it was all hands on deck. Now I can’t get an arrow to fly worth a crap out of it for the first time in 13years(thinking the QAD finally decided to quit working 100% or I have a limb issue). Ended up buying a carbon era, they are up fitting it tomorrow and I’m picking it up Friday(string, rest, quiver, sight and arrows). Thinking maybe it’s a good thing now that I have a “normal” bow. I leave Tuesday for 2.5 weeks. 😂😂.

lseanm

FNG
Tore my tricep completely from where it attaches at the elbow of my dominant arm just 7 weeks before my DIY AK moose hunt this year. Had to have it surgically repaired. Put a stop to all of my work out prep for the hunt and getting all of my "honey-do's" done before hitting the road for 2 weeks....Not good!!

I have a doozie... I leave September 10 for a limited entry archery elk hunt. I was shooting last night at 35-45 yards and moving around after every shot to shoot between pins, range, etc. I somehow forgot to nock an arrow on shot 4 of a around and dry fired by bow... never have I ever done that. Unreal. Bent cam for sure, unsure of other damage. It's a 10-year-old Mathews so gotta think parts aren't readily available. Headed to bow shop later this afternoon. Not sure what will happen but sure will keep y'all posted.

I have a doozie... I leave September 10 for a limited entry archery elk hunt. I was shooting last night at 35-45 yards and moving around after every shot to shoot between pins, range, etc. I somehow forgot to nock an arrow on shot 4 of an around and dry fired by bow... never have I ever done that. Unreal. Bent cam for sure, unsure of other damage. It's a 10-year-old Mathews so gotta think parts aren't readily available. Headed to bow shop later this afternoon. Not sure what will happen but sure will keep y'all posted.
Welp, cam was bent. No time to fix. I bought a Bear Adapt as it was honestly the most economical choice. Switched all the accessories over - shooting great. I’ll be ordering a new cam but this is now by now for next month.

In early May of this year, the “new” circuit board on our kitchen stove caught fire the evening before I was flying out for a 14 day bongo hunt in Cameroon, Equatorial Africa. Luckily, my wife & I were talking in the kitchen at the time the electric stove blew.

Disaster averted with a fire extinguisher from the garage and stove was removed from the house in a rain storm. And Yes, I made the flight and we killed a bongo on Day 2 of the 14 day hunt. Happy hunting to all, TheGrayRider a/k/a Tom.

IMG_3228.jpeg

SwiftShot

WKR
50 percent tear of supra spinatus of my rotator cuff. Sucks because I bow hunt. Hell if I got one down I would be so screwed skinning and packing.

Dislocated my ankle a week ago, told by PT not to expect to be able to be able to navigate mountain terrain by the timeframe my very prime elk tag is open in Idaho. Currently considering utilizing my 4 wheeler as best I can, and hiring packers for if I shoot something.