What Emergencies Have You Had Before Season Start?

199p

Lil-Rokslider
A few years back the day before heading south to chase Tahr i cut my hand open on some broken glass and needed 4 stitches in my hand

This year about 6 weeks ago I ripped my toenail off my 2nd toe and still can't wear boots

Jermh

Lil-Rokslider
2021 my string jumped the cam a few days before leaving for Colorado and trashed the strings. Didnt see many options so I went to the shop and bought a new bow, swapped all my shit over, sighted in and tuned and left my old bow at the shop for strings so I could sell it when I got home. Killed a bull on day 4 of the trip and had my old bow sold within a week of being home after. I love upgrading gear as much as the next guy but that was cutting things a little tight

rayporter

WKR
bud left Ohio at 5 pm headed for Arkansas to pick me up.

at 7 pm i get a call that mom was flown to OSU and not expected to make it. before cell phones, so i could not contact him.

i flew to ohio and sat in the hospital for 2 days. finally fell asleep and when i woke up he was sitting beside me. by then season was over.

Had a bow get tipped off the porch by a young lab puppy 8 days before an elk hunt.

Drove 3 hours to the shop (there isn't one near me) got a new bow. Shot in my sight tape, broadhead tuned and on the 2nd morning of the hunt,killed my elk with one well placed arrow at a pretty long distance.

I bought the next year's model of my current bow to keep the feel as close as possible. The sight tape was really close and only needed a minot adjustment. I did hammer arrows through it before I left and upon arrival.

Accidents happen, but not much should derail a hunt if you're committed to finding solutions.

bucksnbirds

Lil-Rokslider
Last season. I've shot thousands upon thousands of arrows and never a single hiccup. A week before I left to Colorado, drew back, relaxed into my anchor point, and completely let my thumb release slip. About 1000 mph right into my cables. Severed about half the strands.

OP
applesauce4000

applesauce4000

Lil-Rokslider
Well, new bow is in hand!!! Working on getting FPs and BHs grouping together. I'm a little low with BHs at the moment, not sure if I have more space to move the rest up, but that's what I'll be working on this afternoon. Can't believe the wife agreed to let me get a new bow. And snagged a tag off the leftover. It's a good week. But I am feeling the heat to get this bow tuned. Might be a couple more long weekends to get to the bow shop for help.

broke my right middle finger a couple of days before the season. luckily it was not my trigger finger.
sure made setting up camp and processing the bull tougher. .

OP
applesauce4000

applesauce4000

Lil-Rokslider
And here I am, getting my shit lined out to process a crap load of wood on a table saw and bandsaw Friday. Gonna be on pins and needles the whole time now! Hands cut off? Bow's grenaded, tendons severed... geez. This thread is freaking me out
You. Will. Be. Ok. Ha! Seriously though, careful out there!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
In 2009 I had to have emergency detached retina surgery two days before archery elk season started. When the surgeon told me that I said "well, that's not gonna work for me.....elk season starts Saturday". Without a hiccup he replied "no problem, if you want to hunt blind the rest of your life". Then he asked "how long is the season"? I said "4 weeks". He said "Nope, you're not hunting this year". Then the Wednesday before the season ended I had an appointment and he said "Man, I've never seen one of these heal up this well this quickly". I just looked at him with a big smile and he said "Ya, you can go hunting".

So I called a couple guys and loaded up the truck and drove up Friday morning. Set up camp, had some lunch, and drove to one of my favorite spots around 1pm. Started hiking in and cow calling and then shot a 6x6 ten minutes later.

In August 2017 I broke my left wrist (left handed, draw hand) two weeks before CO's season. I told the Dr "no" to a cast. That was probably a mistake as I still have problems with it even these days.

LFC911

WKR
Just had my check engine light come on my '22 GMC 1500 and go into a low acceleration mode. Went to the local auto parts store and had them read the code, which was P1098. Evidently this is a known issue with GM's LM2 diesels and failing so fast they can't make the parts quick enough. The part is on b/o and dealer says it could be a couple of weeks or a couple of months before it comes in. I asked if it would hurt to drive it while we wait for the part. The service advisor said at some point it could/would go into limp mode with a max speed of 60 mph. I have an ID and WY elk tag and looking at what it would cost to rent a truck on my first trip out the beginning of September. The first trip is 3000 miles r/t and the second is just over 2100 r/t. I thought about taking an OBD2 reader with me and resetting the code when it pops up but don't know how long that would work. What would you do?

Jmort1754

WKR
2 weeks before leaving for Wyoming had a car pull in front of me, I missed her but I shattered my back in the process. Got a helicopter ride and emergency fusion, still have a number right leg, but.... I am not pissing and shitting in a bag.

wweaver

Lil-Rokslider
The only emergency two weeks out Iam dealing with is Kifaru taking two weeks now and still not shipped my bigger Hoodlum bag I ordered for a wilderness area backpack hunt in NV. Apparently this is a common issue. First world problems. I hope my recently healed up knee holds out and that is bad as it gets. Have back to back draw archery elk hunts in NM and NV, took all of sept off from work. Good luck to everyone heading out there soon,

OP
applesauce4000

applesauce4000

Lil-Rokslider
The only emergency two weeks out Iam dealing with is Kifaru taking two weeks now and still not shipped my bigger Hoodlum bag I ordered for a wilderness area backpack hunt in NV. Apparently this is a common issue. First world problems. I hope my recently healed up knee holds out and that is bad as it gets. Have back to back draw archery elk hunts in NM and NV, took all of sept off from work. Good luck to everyone heading out there soon,
Hope you get it soon!

TaperPin

WKR
September 11, the trade towers came down and we were on the hill September 14 for an early muledeer hunt - weird time as we made sense out of it all and planes weren’t flying at all. Only time we ever hunted Wyoming without seeing a single jet.

I’ve never had any accidents right before hunting season thank goodness but have had plenty at other times. Right now the check engine light is on (probably an O2 sensor) 4wd needs serviced/ repaired, tires are bald, atv front tire with a split in the sidewall.

A few years ago my dad was in the hospital with a blood clot in his lung and a hanging one in his heart. Almost killed him just a few months after my mom passed. He came out of the hospital on oxygen and killed his NM bighorn sheep one week later while toting an oxygen bottle around!

Attachments

• IMG_1595.jpeg
    IMG_1595.jpeg
    378.2 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1594.jpeg
    IMG_1594.jpeg
    364.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1593.jpeg
    IMG_1593.jpeg
    455 KB · Views: 30

TaperPin

WKR
Well, I already had the chance to use my newest favorite saying! *chuckle*

Our oldest likes a house, really likes it, but the sellers have to close in 10 days or they will take a cash offer from someone else. Kids know we will never co-sign or buy outright something they can’t afford to do themselves, so it seemed like an emergency to him. I said, “At least your hand didn’t get cut off,” at which he looked at me with that WTF look. I explained the hand, and since he’s a paramedic, appreciated the humor.

As long as he specifies they will get their earnest money back if it doesn’t work out, there’s no downside to putting their house on the market for a week hoping for a quick close, so crazier things have happened. Sellers have agreed to it just now. In our market so many Californians are moving in with pockets full of dough, that 25% of real estate offers this year have been cash.

There’s a deep clean, paint touch up and photos tomorrow, we ship the kid and his wife off for a week-long vacation to keep them from getting in the way, and take the dogs to our house so it can be shown as often as need be. He has crazy good luck so it will probably happen - the hand story has already helped. :)

Had a backcountry(in the wilderness) hunt planned. My wife’s water broke 2 days before that hunt, 7 weeks early. My son was born the day we were supposed to leave for it, thankful it happened before I left.