What Emergencies Have You Had Before Season Start?

applesauce4000

Lil-Rokslider
Welp,

I was beginning to shoot my bow as many days as possible before Sep 2, but while shooting 3d yesterday evening my bow string came off in a violent fashion. A true "surprise" release that raked my arm and severed the arrow in half. Now I am figuring out ways to get to the bow shop that's 2 hours away... It's an old bow; we'll see if anything's salvageable.

This made me think, what gear related (or non-gear-related) emergencies have you had before the season that made you panic? Were you able to figure it out, or did you have to call an audible?

-AppleSauce

11boo

WKR
If that bow is a dozen years old buy another. Drive to a good shop with a range, and they will fix you up. I was worried about my old bow so I did that one day. They were honest, said it looks ok, but if you break a key component it will be hard to find parts.

And this late in the year any shop is bombed with work. Buy a new bow.

Last edited:

Gerbdog

WKR
Dry fired my bow a few days before season one year.... accidents and stupidity go hand in hand.... never pull your bow without an arrow in it.... even if you intend to let down..... in that situation nothing broke.... but man did it require an emergency trip to the bow shop to have it get a professional look over and man did it ruin my confidence in it.... everything worked out fine but.... ooof. I'll never do that again.

87TT

WKR
I wanted to get a new string and tune in May. The bow shop (two hours away) said I needed to drop off the bow to be done and pick it up like a week later. After some back and forth with the owner, they agreed that I could drop it off in the AM and pick it up later in the day. I paid for a string and “full tune up”. That included full tear down and deep cleaning. They called me after several hours and said it was ready. I had stayed in the city and been shopping so I went and picked it up. When I went to test fire it at their range, I saw that it did not appear clean. And in fact had not been. When I pointed that out, they said oops! Then told me I had to leave it as the tech that did the work had left.:mad: Right then I made the decision to get a back up bow and learn to do my own work. I now have three bows and all the tools to do my own work. I am the only one who has touched the last two bows.
Oh yeah, I have three because I dry fired the second one a week before elk season and it needed a part so…………………

OP
applesauce4000

applesauce4000

Lil-Rokslider
If you are near GJ red rock always has a bunch of used bows.
I'll keep it in mind. I'm a few hours from GJ.

Turns out my boss is headed in the direction of my preferred shop and will drop it off.

I suppose it doesn't hurt to try to see if it's worth repairing. Might be a rifle hunting kinda year!

OP
applesauce4000

applesauce4000

Lil-Rokslider
I wanted to get a new string and tune in May. The bow shop (two hours away) said I needed to drop off the bow to be done and pick it up like a week later. After some back and forth with the owner, they agreed that I could drop it off in the AM and pick it up later in the day. I paid for a string and “full tune up”. That included full tear down and deep cleaning. They called me after several hours and said it was ready. I had stayed in the city and been shopping so I went and picked it up. When I went to test fire it at their range, I saw that it did not appear clean. And in fact had not been. When I pointed that out, they said oops! Then told me I had to leave it as the tech that did the work had left.:mad: Right then I made the decision to get a back up bow and learn to do my own work. I now have three bows and all the tools to do my own work. I am the only one who has touched the last two bows.
Oh yeah, I have three because I dry fired the second one a week before elk season and it needed a part so…………………
Man, one really has to look after their own stuff. Sounds like a pretty dang frustrating experience.

Maybe over the next 6 years I'll have 3 bows!

Rolled my strings off my omen on let down. Turned out the 90 let off was pretty violent for that bow. Turned it down to 80 let off and got the strings back on. All was good and this was days before a hunt.

Kind of frustrating when my rule is at July 1st, its ready and dont mess with it.

OP
applesauce4000

applesauce4000

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah. Had a week long trip with buddies the following week. I drove into town the next day and got a new rest installed. Did a little bit of tuning and I was good to go. Could have been a lot worse and lot more money.
That's a quick turn around. How did the hung go that year?