What does your dream elk hunting tripod look like?

bodhitrip

FNG
Hello,
I am currently working on a project and would love any and all feedback on the components you look for in a tripod. I am mostly asking about lightweight tripods meant to be carried around, not truck tripods.

Some specific questions:
What is the ideal balance between how steady a tripod is and its weight?
How often do you bring a high powered spotting scope? How often do you just glass with binoculars/lightweight spotters?
Are there any features you would like to see added to a tripod? Or removed?
How many sections?
Flip locks or twist locks?

If anyone would like to give me more detailed feedback, I would be very appreciative. Feel free to shoot me a PM

Mrtoyz

FNG
IMO the holy grail of ultralight weight hunting tripods is as follows:
2lbs w/o head
64+” tall
Twist lock 1/4 turn
3 section is about as long as you’d want in a backpack
I’ve been down the shooting tripod rabbit hole for a long time. I was an early adopter of RRS tripods. I tried a bunch of Amazon tripods in an effort to not spend the big money. In my opinion the RRS
2 series was the bare minimum need to make hits with heavy rifles at distance. When I compared the 2 series to the 3 I found that I got a lot more stability for minimum weight increase by going to the 33/34 series. That’s were I ended up.
All that to say I feel I have a pretty good baseline for what’s needed to have a stable platform for shooting.
Having that experience has given me a pretty critical eye as to what I felt I needed in an ultra light weight hunting setup used mostly for glassing and some shooting. For me, I need this set up to be tall enough to glass and shoot while standing. That’s a problem.
Just purchased and received the new Aziak Frontcountry tripod. I’m impressed. It checks all the boxes I have for this type of setup. With the exception of really good twist locks. It is definitely a compromise for shooting. Obviously. A light weight rifle and distances less than 600yds will definitely help. Right now, it’s my solution

OP
bodhitrip

bodhitrip

FNG
Thanks so much for the thorough reply! That is great feedback that you like to be able to stand to shoot and glass. Are there any times where you would opt to take a tripod that only extended to sitting height (archery season?) or are you willing to carry the extra weight to matter what?

You definitely shoot better than me as well:)

Mrtoyz

FNG
Good question. For me, with the tripod I’ve chosen, it’s a 1lb penalty and worth it every time.