What do you use for racoon bait in traps

pirogue

WKR
Dry cat food, specifically, Little Friskies Seafood Sensations, and usually a marshmallow on top. Easier to clean than wet food types.

Laramie

WKR
I mix the cheapest generic cat food I can find with a splash of fish oil and a teaspoon of shellfish oil in a 5 gallon bag. Place a small amount in the DP trap- about up to the trigger. Place a golfball on top. That keeps the mice and most moisture out of the trap and it serves as an attractant to the coons in the dark. This method typically yields 80%+ catch rates per night all season for me. I have used plain catfood without the oils but my catch rate goes down as they don't put off as much scent. I do catch possums about 10% of the time but have only had one skunk in the last 5 years using this method.

pirogue

WKR
I mix the cheapest generic cat food I can find with a splash of fish oil and a teaspoon of shellfish oil in a 5 gallon bag. Place a small amount in the DP trap- about up to the trigger. Place a golfball on top. That keeps the mice and most moisture out of the trap and it serves as an attractant to the coons in the dark. This method typically yields 80%+ catch rates per night all season for me. I have used plain catfood without the oils but my catch rate goes down as they don't put off as much scent. I do catch possums about 10% of the time but have only had one skunk in the last 5 years using this method.
I like the golf ball idea for a mice deterrent, especially since living on a golf course, produces plenty balls ending up in the back yard.
And with all the bright colors to choose from now, I’ll have to try and see if they have a favorite.
color. 😝

Laramie

WKR
One addition, in colder climates marshmallows work great during the warmer months but they work less and less as it gets colder. Sweets aren't a big draw to raccoons during the winter.

mcseal2

WKR
I mix dry cat food and corn in a gallon bag, pour that in. I have a squirt bottle of fish oil and squirt a little of that on top.

I was running 3 traps in each spot at 3 spots for a week, 1 with only corn, 1 with only catfood, and 1 with the mix and fish oil in my experiment. It may just be the fish oil more than the bait, that experiment I did not do. Once the combo proved it was best, I just ran with it for the rest of my trapping. Maybe this winter I'll try the mix with fish oil vs the mix without.

For later in the season, I usually take cat food and add a little predator bait. Preferably federales from predator control group. It has a smokey smell that I think helps. It's probably 5 or 6 parts cat food to predator bait. Just enough to get the smell without making it too sticky.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
I posted this on a different thread, and someone mentioned it here too. I would shy away from cat food. Had a couple bad experiences with skunks. They seem to love the stuff. Canned tuna seemed like the way to go for us. For some reason, the skunks would not touch it or the coons beat them to it.

Scottf270

WKR
Skunks are a hazard but I'll take any turkey egg eater out and be happy. I'm trapping for predator control not dollars. I do use caution though....lol.

mi650

WKR
Peanut butter & marshmallows.

Not good to use before the bears hibernate. If I ever get a bear tag, I know what I'm gonna use for bait, though!!

hdk82

FNG
Peanut butter, marshmallows, jelly, tuna. Individual or a combination. I especially like the stink of tuna and the durability of the peanut butter

Primal-Understanding

Lil-Rokslider
Giving puppy sized dog food and liquid smoke a try. Will report back on outcome. I had Berry Nuggets out for 2 weeks and got 1 coon. Think that stuff sucked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honyock

WKR
I use the Duke dog proof traps. One sardine down the tube and a couple of little marshmallows around it does the trick.