What do you think you could make it by with?

Bbrown,,

Maybe since during the summer in Alaska a day is a bit longer than in the L48.. :)

P8300011_zps97dbe40e.jpg

You sir, are living right!

trdhunter

WKR
Amp713- Where in Utah are you located? I just ordered a Kifaru pack and be willing to let you check it out sometime once I get it. I know the feeling of not seeing the pack before buying and am a little nervous as I could not find a Kifaru to check out. The things that pushed me to just say to hell with it and order were I am tired of not liking the packs and thinking there must be something better and from lots of research, nobody says much negative about Kifaru. I also figured if by chance I hate it, resale is pretty good and would likely get most my money back to buy something else.

bbrown

WKR
Amp - I live an hour north but I will be in Longmont Saturday around noon if we can make it work out you can check out my bikini-T2. If not SHFT, Armyjoe and a few others are all in Denver and maybe you can work something out to check out theirs. Aron would be best but I think he is out of town at the sheep show.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Bbrown,,

Maybe since during the summer in Alaska a day is a bit longer than in the L48.. :)

P8300011_zps97dbe40e.jpg

HAHA I love that pic!!! I'm in the middle 3 Big Rigs on my pack (2 inside) paddles, tent and a bunch of other gear. That is the 8500 cu in Rondy bag there as you can see I was utilizing a fair portion of that 8500 cu in and then some ;)

Rizzy

WKR
I notice that you make mention of a medical condition that limits the amount of weight you should carry. Given this, I would advise against the high capacity packs because when the adrenaline of the harvest is flowing you will load it up with more than you should carry. The 4000 cu packs will work fine for the Rocky mountains if your using modern gear, especially early season hunts. If your mainly hunting local areas you have scouted then you will probably be mostly doing 2 or 3 day trips before you move to your next spot or harvest.

As far as meat hauling, lets geek out for a second;

4000 cu inches equals 2.315 cu ft

water weighs 62.4 pounds per cubic foot

2.315 cu ft x 62.4 = 144.46 pounds (units of cu ft cancels out)

meat is about 70% water

.7 x 144.45 = 101 pounds, this is about what you would be carrying if you filled your pack up with solid meat.

this never happens, there will be voids and you will probably be closer to 80 pounds (50-60%).

So, how much weight can you comfortably carry? I would be hesitant to get a large pack, because if you go solo Elk hunting you will end up making multiple trips to get everything out. After you get camp packed out, then you will be carrying all meat, this when it gets heavy. I found it to be comfortable carrying about half a boned out Elk in my Bikini frame and 4800 Highcamp. There was room to spare in the pack. I loaded all 4 boned quarters in the pack for the first mile, and I didn't like it, that was too much for me.

OP
amp713

amp713

WKR
TRD i live in Roosevelt, over by the monument and diamond mountian. Im not sure where springville is off the top of my head but id like that for sure!

bbrown- Thanks for all that info! But i dont really get these pack set ups all this high this and snowlids and t2's? I think i would end up with the wrong thing anyways. How do you pull off 5k? As for meeting up I dont have a vehicle as we are taking a group of us to the rodeo but i have a girl from there that i hang out with so maybe she will be down for a roadie! Idk denver but she lives there so that would help too.

Rizzy-Ive never actually weighed up what i could pack, Ive hiked the bowcast at the bird courses with 50 pounds and been ok, i packed a hind and front quarter out last year, then went back for the hide and some of the gear and was perfectly fine, Plus all the running up and down getting to snow to cool it. Dad hauled a hind and some gear while my uncle packed the backstraps, extra meat and the final quarter. I would think i could handle 80 fairly decent but it depends on how hard ive worked that leg getting to the point of harvest too......

bbrown

WKR
bbrown- Thanks for all that info! But i dont really get these pack set ups all this high this and snowlids and t2's? I think i would end up with the wrong thing anyways.

Ha - I hear you there. Times have changed and we now have way more quality options which can really muddy the waters.

Whats your style of hunting? Backpacking, truck + base camp or day hunts only. All that will be a factor in the best pack for you.

Personally I really like the design and pocket layout of the Timberline 2 pack. Main bag is around 3500 CI with another 1700 CI in 2 side pockets for tripods and spotters and 2 front pockets for misc gear, snacks and gloves. All that comes out to 5200 CI that packs up reasonably small but expands out and only weighs just over 5lbs. There are tons of other options for pockets and lids but focus on the bag until you found what you think is best for you.

Other options in that 3-5k CI are mystery ranch metcalf, Stone Glacier, and then there is a couple new packs from Paradox and Exo that look good too. I have never used it but have heard a good non-hunting brand option is the REI XT 85 and there was one in the classifieds recently. Then there is always teh good ol guide frame and bag from cabelas and lots of people swear by them.

Personally (after spending a ton of cash on other brands) I would avoid badlands, tenzig, blacks creek and even sitka and kuiu if you truly plan on hauling anything with any weight. I have personally seen all the brands I mentioned fail under moderate to heavy loads. Eberlestock works but its heavy to begin with and won't be very comfortable.

Last edited:

Rucker61

WKR
Ha - I hear you there. Times have changed and we now have way more quality options which can really muddy the waters.

Whats your style of hunting? Backpacking, truck + base camp or day hunts only. All that will be a factor in the best pack for you.

Personally I really like the design and pocket layout of the Timberline 2 pack. Main bag is around 3500 CI with another 1700 CI in 2 side pockets for tripods and spotters and 2 front pockets for misc gear, snacks and gloves. All that comes out to 5200 CI that packs up reasonably small but expands out and only weighs just over 5lbs. There are tons of other options for pockets and lids but focus on the bag until you found what you think is best for you.

Yes, it is a nice bag ;). If bbrown and amp713 are able to arrange a meet-up, bbrown can snag my T2 for you to check out, too.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
If your going to be in Denver why not just come down and see Aron at Kifaru. Then you can try them all on throw some weight in and bring your gear youd take to load a pack up. =-). Just saying........ Besides I dont know about these Co Rokslide guys. They maybe a bit sketchy..... :rolleyes:

OP
amp713

amp713

WKR
hahahaha sketchy huh? Is that where the main store is for kifaru? if its in denver ill just go there! As for my hunting style i drive to the mountains park my truck at the cabin, drive the rhino up to the trails then start hiking! I used to stay for about 4 days cuz thats what i could pull with my last job. My new job i work 8 on 6 off so i plan to stay back 6 at the least.... More if i still have sick days and have a good animal found!! Ive been doing the 4 day thing for a while so im pretty confident that i can pull two extra days without much more than an extra meal and a half. I was using the ox so i know all about not so great packs... Thing weighed like 11#'s empty!!!

OP
amp713

amp713

WKR
So whats the difference between the frames? the bikini and the hunting? And whats the difference between a duplex bag and a non duplex? I.E. the timberline 2 duplex or the timberline 2?

123 4/8 P&Y

Lil-Rokslider
Strapping stuff on takes a long time and doesn't carry well. I prefer a huge bag for multi day trips. I just throw my crap in and hit the trail.

If your going to be in Denver why not just come down and see Aron at Kifaru. Then you can try them all on throw some weight in and bring your gear youd take to load a pack up. =-). Just saying........ Besides I dont know about these Co Rokslide guys. They maybe a bit sketchy..... :rolleyes:

I think that's the weekend if the sheep show when he'll be in Denver??

Amp, I know they are new and you won't find one likely to try on, but Exo mountain Gear just announced some new packs that look promising. I believe they have a 30 day returnable policy and they are under $450 and have a 3500 cu in bag with integrated meat shelf.

I myself have run two Kifarus. A T1 and now a bikini framed DT1 and absolutely love them and don't see myself ever wishing for a smaller bag even with day hunt gear. Especially running a long hunter lid! If you can swing it I'd recommend them for sure but they are a big money commitment.

Mike

Stid2677

WKR
So whats the difference between the frames? the bikini and the hunting? And whats the difference between a duplex bag and a non duplex? I.E. the timberline 2 duplex or the timberline 2?

The Bikini frame is a lightweight minimalist frame good for lighter loads.

The Duplex frame is a full frame sheet made for heavier loads.

The Timberline 2 duplex is a bag/duplex frame combo meaning the bag can be removed from the duplex frame and used alone or have a different bag used with it.

The Timberline 2 has a built in frame and uses neither the Bikini frame or duplex frame but instead had the frame built in.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
The Bikini frame is a lightweight minimalist frame good for lighter loads.

This can kind of be misleading. As a Bikini frame is still just as comfy or more than my duplex for me up to about 110 pounds or so if you think that is light then yes. Heavier than that the duplex makes the weight suck less.

For me both the duplex frame and the bikini carry 100+ pound loads better than a Timberline (the backpack with the frame stays and the packbag integrated together..

Last edited:

Stid2677

WKR
When I said lighter, I was referring to loads less than the duplex. I'm sure all that he is asking is listed on the website.

OP
amp713

amp713

WKR
Is the "Hunting Platform" the duplex frame then? Or am i missing the duplex? Or is the bikini just the way to go and be done with it?

luke moffat

Super Moderator
When I said lighter, I was referring to loads less than the duplex. I'm sure all that he is asking is listed on the website.

Right, just didn't want to give the impression that the bikini frame was not capable of heavier loads as it very much is thats all, just didn't want to give him the wrong idea. As both frame can haul more than I can carry.