What do you guys prepare instant mash potatoes in

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I do half the bag at a time, one serving. I cook them in my Jetboil, while my mountain house meal is rehydrating.

OP
C

Califhuntn

Lil-Rokslider
I was trying to find a less messy way. I guess freezer bags would solve that. I assume they hold up in boiling water.

BuckSnort

WKR
Yep, they will hold up fine to boiling water... The Ziplock brand are tougher than generic... But I have not even had those fail...

I found some great dried eggs and tried to cook them in freezer bags in boiling water.The problem was that if the bag was not totally submerged it melted anywhere it touched the pot.How do you get around that .
Tim

Beastmode

WKR
I found some great dried eggs and tried to cook them in freezer bags in boiling water.The problem was that if the bag was not totally submerged it melted anywhere it touched the pot.How do you get around that .
Tim

Im pretty sure Doug does the same thing I do and pour the water in to the freezer bag with the potatoes. I also do oatmeal for breakfast in the same fashion and have never had an issue.

FYI...with freezer bag cooking you don't put the freezer bag in the boiling water to cook things, you boil the water first, THEN put it into the freezer bag with whatever needs to be cooked/rehydrated. You then seal the freezer bag, put it into something insulated (like a cozzie, wrapped up in a fleece jacket, or in some other insulating piece of gear) and then let it rehydrate. Idahoan instant mashed potatoes will rehydrate immediately when you put the hot water in with them so you just need to stir it up well to make sure you get all of it mixed in with the water.

As for cooking something like powdered eggs in the boiling water, and not melting the bag, you can use the snack sized zip lock baggies (which are narrower and may fit better without touching the sides) or seal the egg and water mixture in a vacuum packed bag and then immerse it in the boiling water. You can use a binder clip to hold the plastic bag and suspend it on the lip of the pot with a narrow stick/twig (a chopstick would be perfect) if that works better for you.

Last edited:

Yukon

FNG
Reading this brought back some good memories from a hunt this past summer that I will share.

I packed around a package of instant mashed potatoes, instant gravy , some olive oil and montreal steak spice for 10 days this past summer looking for a Ram for my brother. The idea was that it would be the victory meal and would be tasty after MH and instant oatmeal.

After a week of no luck in one zone, we hiked out and hiked into a new range. Since we only had three days left, we decided to go lightweight and left the tent and stove in the truck and only packed in food we didn't have to cook. I took the "victory meal" not thinking that I had no means to heat up water.

We were fortunate to connect on a ram the following evening and we packed it down to tree line and started a fire to roast up our "victory meal". I felt stupid and frustrated having packed around the potatoes and not having a way to heat up water.

It then donned on me that people were boiling water way before stoves and pots. I heated up a bunch of rocks in the fire and dropped them into a tupperware type of bowl filled with water. Several rocks later, we had our hot water and the victory potatoes were delicious (perhaps a bit ashy) with some ram ke-babs on the camp fire.

This thread brought back some good memories. Impossible to top freshly harvested meat after a hard day of hunting. Anyways. If your stove conks out maybe this can help you out one day.