What distance between water holes make sitting effective?

jaric

FNG
Hey guys! I need some advice. My first archery pronghorn hunt coming up August 1st. I’ve located pronghorn I’d like to target and their primary water source. It has no structure or vegetation surrounding it so my pop up blind will stick out. It’s also BLM land so I am not legally able to place the blind prior to hunting.

My question is how far will pronghorn travel for water if their primary hole is disturbed by a pop up? The next nearest water hole is 2 3/4 miles away. Am I spinning my wheels trying to sit water in this situation?

deertrout

Lil-Rokslider
I hope this doesn't come across as negative but unless you have some type of physical handicap, you don't need a pop-up blind, why risk spooking em? I'd challenge yourself to use the terrain to get close enough for a shot. It'll seem daunting at first, might take several days of scaring antelope around the plains, but it's doable.

Ryansven

FNG
You will be fine hunting the water hole. Antelope will still use it with the blind. If it is a reservoir that is holding water, don’t set up around the dam as goats typically water opposite your n my experience.
Some folks like the stalk others like sitting water. Success is typically higher on a good active water hole but both ways are fun.

Rich M

WKR
Is there a place on their approach path with any cover for you to sit without blind?

Dont pigeonhole yourself into 1 technique.

OP
J

jaric

FNG
I’m not opposed to varying my tactics, but I’ve looked over the area pretty well and there’s not much density (I’m the only archery tag for the unit) so I don’t want to go blowing the herd up on the first day it’s a 21 day season and I plan on sitting the first 3 days and then changing things up from there.

zrodwyo

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn’t worry too much about disturbing them with a pop up I would just put it up as early as you can.

Most archery seasons are in the rut and a rutting buck is pretty dang loyal to his territory bubble. You can run them off and they will come right back most of the time.

It sounds like you are in a low density unit so sitting water is probably the right move. Stalk repetition and luck is the name of the game when archery spot and stalk antelope hunting. You need lots of antelope for that.

I’m not opposed to varying my tactics, but I’ve looked over the area pretty well and there’s not much density (I’m the only archery tag for the unit) so I don’t want to go blowing the herd up on the first day it’s a 21 day season and I plan on sitting the first 3 days and then changing things up from there.
Absolutely put up a pop-up blind!

I think that advice to go spot and stalk is lame, and sounds prideful. Like some folks look down on deer baiting, or using a compound bow, etc. Archery at water is way way more effective.

Like mention no problem leaving a blind up on BLM. Get yours up before another hunter does.

One thing to remember is they often like to come to the far side away from the blind, so make sure you can shoot across if possible. Black out the inside and make sure no flapping parts.

I hope this doesn't come across as negative but unless you have some type of physical handicap, you don't need a pop-up blind, why risk spooking em? I'd challenge yourself to use the terrain to get close enough for a shot. It'll seem daunting at first, might take several days of scaring antelope around the plains, but it's doable.
It sounds prideful and condescending. Like why use a tree stand for deer if you can walk?

Jimss

WKR
A lot depends upon the weather and if it happens to rain. If it's hot and super dry you likely won't have a problem. If it's wet the antelope can likely drink in puddles on roads and in draws. I'd pray for the hottest, driest weather possible and that your water source doesn't dry up. You may want to have several options with backup plans in mind.

If you aren't picky with bucks I'm sure you'll do fine if there is a 2 miles between waterholes with no other water sources for miles and miles. If you are picky and just hunting 1 water source you may be stuck with what ever bucks are in that small area. If there are water sources beyond 2 miles things can change quickly. Be aware that if your waterhole dries up or the country dries up you may be screwed. I've seen total areas void of antelope that were loaded with antelope in the spring. Antelope may move elsewhere to greener pastures.

If you don't have many year's experience with your area there may be a sharp learning curve on what happens between now and hunting season. It definitely helps to have either on the ground experience or someone local that is aware of what happens from 1 year to the next and what happens in wet vs super dry summers.

Archery in most Wyo antelope units is well before the rut and generally doesn't get started until the rifle seasons open.

Last edited:

huntngolf

Lil-Rokslider
The blind won’t bother the antelope like it would a deer. If it’s really the only water for 2 3/4 miles it would be wise to sit there as much as possible if it’s hot and dry

HiMtnHntr

WKR
Antelope are very territorial and habitual. If you can create a blind situation that is well concealed, antelope that had been using the water will continue to do so. If they sense something out of place though, they will be very timid and may choose other water sources.

It takes a bit of work to find a waterhole that works, choosing a blind and setting it up in the best spot.

If it’s very dry, if you have an isolated water source, my experience is the antelope will eventually come in…

cfdjay

WKR
Absolutely put up a pop-up blind!

I think that advice to go spot and stalk is lame, and sounds prideful. Like some folks look down on deer baiting, or using a compound bow, etc. Archery at water is way way more effective.

Like mention no problem leaving a blind up on BLM. Get yours up before another hunter does.

One thing to remember is they often like to come to the far side away from the blind, so make sure you can shoot across if possible. Black out the inside and make sure no flapping parts.

And to piggy back off this...sitting in a blind dressed in all black in the western summer for 15 hours is no f'n picnic. It's a different kind of suck. One, that some would say, is harder than spot and stalk but is worth the reward.

OP
J

jaric

FNG
Thanks for all the responses! I appreciate everyone’s time. For more clarification I’m hunting Nevada and there’s a pipeline that provides water to an old mining ghost town, the the department of wildlife has made 3 guzzlers from it. The one the pronghorn are hitting heavy is the farthest west and it’s 2 3/4 miles from the middle one, the next one is another 2 miles away from that. Other than that it’s pretty bone dry out there.

That sounds like a great spot. If you’re positive the next WH is +2miles away, you should do well if you’re “on the hole”

My experience with them is they so shy from newly set blinds in areas that get hunted, but if pressure is light, water scarce, they may commit the first day.

There is nothing worse than watching a buck from a mile or more out coming to you, only to see the blind, and shy away.

As others said, know the rules, if you can set the blind up preseason, all the better.

Rich M

WKR
That you have the only permit is amazing.

Get a good hub style blind and set it up 13 days before opener. Anchor it down good. Check it a week before from a distance and be ready for opening morning.

Good luck!