What did you do at the range today?

Hit the gun range/club on Sunday. Intent was to test some loads I had made for my buddy's 300 WSM, see if the 165 ballistics had the same POI as Accubonds in my '06, and see if we could push my wife's new 7mm-08 a bit further. All went well. Max load on the WSM shot great, ballistic tips had same POI. Was more interested in the 7mm-08 performance though. It was one of my wife's Christmas presents. I had worked up a load with 140 grain ballistic tips that shot well; 10 shot group at 100 just over MOA. Almost went agains Form's advice and tested some longer loads that would have required single feeding the Tikka T3X Lite, but realized I hadn't bought a trimmer bushing yet and the fired brass was measuring a bit long; so decided we'd shoot what we had. A few warm up shots at 100 & 200 yards, then she shoots 5 at 400. Just under 2" vertical spread and .5" horizontal. Think she can live with that.

Attachments

• 20220614_111611.jpg
    20220614_111611.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 18
Also need to buckle down on fueling for the day and controlling my caffiene intake, seeing my heart beat in the reticle first stage didn’t help.

I hear ya there. I used to shoot bullseye pistol and I had to be super careful about caffeine.

Can't wait to hear how you like that new tripod.

Went to the range yesterday and realized just how bad my eyes got since I last had my CZ 452 out… good news is I’m now obsessing over which scope to buy.

Kraft drill with the match rifle trying tripod rear for non prone positions. Wobbly props have force my hand, and if I want to continue to improve I see it as a necessity to learn.

Planned on selling the RRS ascend and using the 24l for everything when I had initially ordered. That won’t be happening, the 24L is a much beefier tripod. Very steady, but more than I’ll carry on anything beyond day hunting more than likely. The new anvil is also significantly different than my first ten. More to come on a comparison as time goes on.

Too embarrassed to even post what Xbr did behind 75eldm in my 223. 2moa bad, back to the drawing board.

6D5D1AD3-9D8C-410C-BA21-40855FC58160.jpegAE042BB1-CE57-43EE-B559-4D9FAE506C14.jpeg

What are your initial impressions?
It’s more adjustable, slightly smaller size.

I don’t have any r lock rails yet, but just ordered one to try. The pin dosnt have enough back pressure to even be noticeable on regular arca rails. I havnt had problems with rails sliding so we will see if this is something I care about or not when that rail comes.

The arca clamp is easily adjustable. Should be able to make anyones rail work. The clamp also locks, the little button needs to be pushed down to open it, not sure how I like that or not yet. As for being adjustable I only had one rail not work with my first gen anvil, so I don’t really see it as a big plus quite yet.

The design of the lever is a little different as well, I didn’t mess with it much in terms of clamping force yet but will likely give it less resistance once I play with it for a while.

I might be at the limits of my Slik733 tripod I think. Top left was shot standing with gitlite pint sized game changer on top of jim white head, top right was standing clipped into jim white head, bottom left (and one accidentally shot at bottom right) was shot standing with same game changer on the bed of my truck and tripod rear support, bottom right was shot seated off same tripod and same bag.

Had a right to left 12-15mph wind the whole time, and I adjusted .2 up after an initial zero shot, though I realized later that I should have trusted my gear and left my zero alone instead of adjusting after a single round.

Might be investing in a more sturdy tripod before the end of summer.
IMG_20220618_174326249.jpg

Most of my range chores are reloading related. Yesterday was chrono some 147 summit city FN to start a new batch. Usually use blue bullets but checking these out. If I don't have a reloading task I usually pick a few pistol drills to make progress on. A lot of times I'll try to validate something I've been working on in dry fire. For rifle lately has been has been working on holdover shots. Having an objective when going to the range makes it feel much more worthwhile especially with components and ammo being what they are.

Starting to feel good cheating on the tikka.

E2552B9F-F4DF-4AF9-9F6F-210A1D8840E4.jpeg

@MaraviaDave
The rlock rail came. Couple comments on the rail and setup as a whole.

First the rail. Very high quality. I got the 180mm but think the middle size would be about perfect for an eh1, with that small bump near the mag well full length just don't work right. I also like a spot for my hand without any metal, and have adapted to shooting with the tripod a little forward. Anyways the rail is nice, shuttles are super solid, click in place and it’s rock solid on the rifle. I’ll be getting a couple more for my other EH1s just because I see them as the only 7-9” universal option as of now, and that’s what the eh1 needs.

Re the head and pin. You can easily adjust clamp force on the head, and I had to increase it from factory to tightly secure my A419 rails. With it tight enough to hold onto rrs spec tight the rail dosnt slide, so to index the pin, I need to do the halfway deal on the lever and push it into place. So pretty much the pins not doing much of anything unless your rail is sliding, and in that case it’s solid as a rock. I see this being nice for like a bipod that’s always attached, essentially secures it even more solid. Where it is nice and why I see what they did, is working with others non rrs spec rails. Iv had one and I’m sure most others have had something that just wasn’t quite as tight.

It’s also a bit more trim then my first generation, the head is smaller width wise.

So after a little playing, new arc head worth it if you have an old one that’s working fine? I don’t think so. I won’t be replacing the head on my ascend with its rlock counterpart.

If only others pick up the rlock spec on their chassis and stuff then I can see it being the cats ass for quick solid adjustability.

Last edited:
Had to pick up my trailer this afternoon, which is stored on the property where I shoot, so I threw in the rifle to do a kraft drill. Forgot to actually grab my targets, luckily I had one left in the truck that made due. All 12 from standing. Still on my Slik 733
IMG_20220627_142531057_HDR.jpgIMG_20220627_143819167 (1).jpg

7B52B731-C0A1-42E2-9D1A-D67B813F0568.jpeg

Match gun load went to shit, like 2moa bad. Last box of 140 eldm might be the problem… notice the mis aligned tips.

Luckily now that we are into the year I have enough bergers to make it till the end.

Last edited:
Hornady isn’t the first place I look for bullets anymore. Between the 6.5G ammo I have and boxes of bullets that vary too much in base to ogive I rarely load anything from H. If I know I’m hunting at 150 yards and in I’ll use them. I should finish sorting what I have.

Hornady isn’t the first place I look for bullets anymore. Between the 6.5G ammo I have and boxes of bullets that vary too much in base to ogive I rarely load anything from H. If I know I’m hunting at 150 yards and in I’ll use them. I should finish sorting what I have.
Iv had some goofy things happen with Hornady, and prefer not to use them for precision stuff but I had no choice on these. Iv got enough Berger 144s to finish out the year now that we are half way through.

I did a really quick & dirty load 'workup' for my T3 Swede.
Took a known load (from an old rifle) with 129s & dropped off a half grain for safety's sake, loaded up 19 130gn TGKs at 3.155" (I'm at 3.195 to lands) & shot em.

I used the old 129s to get a rough zero, then 9 of the new 130s to dial it in (looking for around 1.5 high at 100)

10 rounds for group & got this. Not bad for the first 24 shots it's ever had, with a dirt cheap, bottom shelf, $100 PA scope. I sure as hell ain't mad at it! 😆

20220712_161245.jpg
20220712_152838.jpg

Last edited:
USPSA kicked me off the range today so it’s dry fire only.

Need to work through some brass before the end of the month and make sure these Berger 144s continue to shoot.
273DF896-C58D-47D7-9DBE-635F0DA37F94.jpeg

Final charge weight identified. Hid some 8" steel gongs at500,600,700 yards in the hills as I have shot up most of the white rocks. Then loaded up 20 to adjust tuner brake and will go back out to verify dope

Shot my 6.5CM at 100 yards and sulked that there isn't any range that is within 2hrs of me that extends beyond that range.

Scoped up my sheep rifle to sight in for opener. 6.5 prc shooting 140 AB’s at 2975fps. It loves 2 shots, without a couple minute cool down it will toss the third a little.
F7D77499-0518-48C4-94BF-CEB9BEB5E42E.jpeg

400 yard
8F287030-A633-48FC-862A-9DAE854E05FB.jpeg

500 yard @ 7” gong

9D29B3D1-1D7F-4B2D-A4A0-007CEEB2FA1A.jpeg

Just for fun I backed up 9 3/4” gong to 745 yards. Seems to hit a couple inches low out here vs what the ballistics app calls for.

8B269326-5531-4721-A8E5-AE63137483AE.jpeg

Back