What companies ship ammo to Alaska?

Devilfish

FNG
Here's a little update
I just set up an account with them a couple of days ago. I'm off work tomorrow and will probably be giving it a shot after I make a couple of calls to suppliers since the ammo won't be shipped to my billing address, but the Carlile terminal in Tacoma instead.
Here's the latest about what's happening. I was going to buy from LG Outdoors, but they gave me a hard time when I protested them charging me Washington sales tax. Besides which they were low on stock and their 45-70 ammo sold out before I could get it straightened out. Found plenty available at Reeds Sports in Minnesota at a better price, no WA sales tax, and less than 1/3 the cost of shipping to Tacoma. I did make my order and payed after business hours, but I'll call them in the morning and make sure everything is squared away.

I plugged my information into the Carlile MyConnect account and it looks like shipping will be under $20 to Anchorage. Now it's just wait and see how everything pans out. I never knew buying a couple of hundred rounds could be so complicated.

Devilfish

FNG
Under $20 to Anchorage?! Ok, you've got my attention.
The $20 is from Carlile Tacoma Terminal to Anchorage for a small package. Reeds Sports in Minnesota is charging $19.10 for delivery to Tacoma.

I made my order from Reeds last night at 11:35PM and it's already shipped today with no WA sales tax, or exorbitant shipping rates. The best way I've found to buy ammo in stock online is going to Gunbroker.com, find a seller with decent prices on what you want, then contact them directly with questions about WA sales tax exemption, and shipping costs.

OP
Antares

Antares

WKR
Just buy a cheap car, pack it to the brim with guns, ammo and whiskey and put it on the barge.

Fun idea, but in my experience with putting vehicles on the barge, they often specify that they are to be empty. Booo.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Fun idea, but in my experience with putting vehicles on the barge, they often specify that they are to be empty. Booo.
I've never been told it has to be empty, just under 1/4th of a tank of gas. You are paying for space, not weight so pack it to the brim. You arent supposed to have guns or ammo but they don't check.

Devilfish

FNG
I don't need that much crap anyways. More trouble than it's worth. All I needed was a couple of hundred rounds for my 45-70. I got the text from Carlile yesterday to come pick it up in Anchorage. It took about 7 days from the time it got to their terminal in Tacoma to up here. Cost me $20 and hassle free. Well worth it. Works like a charm.

A382DWDZQ

WKR
I don't need that much crap anyways. More trouble than it's worth. All I needed was a couple of hundred rounds for my 45-70. I got the text from Carlile yesterday to come pick it up in Anchorage. It took about 7 days from the time it got to their terminal in Tacoma to up here. Cost me $20 and hassle free. Well worth it. Works like a charm.
With MyConnect, did they invoice you when it arrived in Tacoma, or after it had gotten up to AK?

OP
Antares

Antares

WKR
Bringing this up again because I still haven't found a workable solution.

Question for you guys that are using Carlile MyConnect - Are you not telling them that your package is ammo? Carlile just told me there was a $77.18 flat-rate HAZMAT fee for ammo... plus shipping, plus fuel surcharge... It didn't seem any cheaper than any of the other freight forwarders (e.g., SPAN).

Bringing this up again because I still haven't found a workable solution.

Question for you guys that are using Carlile MyConnect - Are you not telling them that your package is ammo? Carlile just told me there was a $77.18 flat-rate HAZMAT fee for ammo... plus shipping, plus fuel surcharge... It didn't seem any cheaper than any of the other freight forwarders (e.g., SPAN).

Never declared. I don’t remember if they had that disclaimer last year anyhow. MyConnect to Kodiak is more expensive than Anchorage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Antares

Antares

WKR
What are you looking for?

5+ cases of Hornady .223 Rem for my new "Rokslide Special."

I can get .223 here in town, but it's junky FMJ stuff and it's not even that cheap. I'd really like the Hornady Frontier 68 BTHP... stuff is like $12-14/box down south. I might try to put in a special order with Alaska Ammo... but then I still have to have it flown down to me on ACE... fun stuff.

I was really hoping to get something to my door for <$0.70/round. I'll keep trying, but I may just bite the bullet and pay up. If I'm <$0.90/round, I guess I'll just have to be happy with that.

Have you considered just having it shipped to a friend or relative down south that may be coming to visit in the not too distant future? Or if you’re planning on a vacation down south, you could just bring it back up with you? My mom is coming up in a week and I just had a bunch of ammo shipped to her in Montana, that she will bring up on her flight. It seems like we’re either going down south for a visit or having folk’s visit us probably at least a half a dozen times a year, and I’ve done this many times. Anyway, it might not help you any, but just some food for thought.

OP
Antares

Antares

WKR
Have you considered just having it shipped to a friend or relative down south that may be coming to visit in the not too distant future? Or if you’re planning on a vacation down south, you could just bring it back up with you? My mom is coming up in a week and I just had a bunch of ammo shipped to her in Montana, that she will bring up on her flight. It seems like we’re either going down south for a visit or having folk’s visit us probably at least a half a dozen times a year, and I’ve done this many times. Anyway, it might not help you any, but just some food for thought.

Yes, thanks. I know that's a very good option especially with AK Air's 50 pounds/passenger policy. I've done it many times, too much in fact... I think I've "worn out my welcome" with the one friend I had A LOT of stuff shipped to. Probably not really, but I want to be respectful and find a different option instead of continuing to rely on them to do that favor for me. Most of my out-of-state travel (and most of my out-of-state friends and family) revolve around Hawaii... so that does no good on the ammo front.

Anyway, I was excited by peoples positive (cheap) experiences with Carlile, but my call to them this morning sort of burst that bubble.