What can I seal knife paracord wrapped handle with?

Would like to dip my paracord knife handles in something to limit blood & gunk absorption. So far I have considered:
-Boot liquid silicone but seems pretty runny
-Epoxy but seem too solid
-FlexSeal style rubber dip

Any other thoughts?

JFK

WKR
A marine type spar finish will work. That’s what I use anyway for west coast deckhand style fishing rods and gaffs. Couple light coats. It will go on looking cloudy but drys clear. Lasts several years and can always recoat them. You might test it first since I’m using seine cord, not paracord.

madgrad02

WKR
It is paracord - if it gets all gunked up, cut another dollars worth of paracord and rewrap... Personally, I like having the paracord as is just in case I (for some reason) would need some extra cordage and wouldn't want to risk it's structural integrity with chemicals or some coating. Just my 2 cents

It's paracord..takes at most 30 min to replace and costs probably less than a dollar, unless you using that fancy paracord with the reflective strip, then it might cost 2 bucks..my concern with coating it will limit its use for other things.

Rope wrapped handles on gaff hooks, fishing rods, ect.... get epoxy coated. Not so much coating, as the epoxy absorbs into the material. You wipe almost all of the excess off so the wrapped handle looks and feels much like there is no epoxy at all.

I don't think I'd recommend 550 cord for this. It seems pretty thick and soft with the sheath and core configuration. Usually I use a solid braid type cord like halibut gangion or similar.

The West systems G-flex 650 epoxy works great for handles. Others would work as well, just don't want brittle or fast cure type stuff.

Never could see the appeal of having a knife that the handle was wrapped with hay string, when real handles are still made.....
I think the appeal is for bushcraft survival type folks. The handle provides cordage and the knives are set up so you can use that cordage to tie them to a stick and make a spear or other type long weapon.

But if that's not your goal, and you plan to epoxy the cord on, maybe you should just start with G10 or other type phenolic scales and dispense with the cord.

TheTone

WKR
I think the appeal is for bushcraft survival type folks. The handle provides cordage and the knives are set up so you can use that cordage to tie them to a stick and make a spear or other type long weapon.
Close, I think the appeal is to make it look like you’re all bushcrafty and/or tactical. I’d guess a massive % is never used for anything but a knife grip

uglymud

FNG
Classified Approved
I just pulled the cord off mine and put some shrink wrap tube on there. We'll see how that does.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
Elk blood. It usually quits stinking around March and is as hard as a rock at the point so it can’t really absorb any more.
….and then next time it gets wet the whole stink and bad bacteria cycle starts all over again.

I would say dip it in some kind of plastic, but then there is no advantage to the para cord and blood will still get in there underneath it.

Bottom para cord is for folks that want to look cool, but it’s not functional at all.

jpadia

FNG
Classified Approved
It is paracord - if it gets all gunked up, cut another dollars worth of paracord and rewrap... Personally, I like having the paracord as is just in case I (for some reason) would need some extra cordage and wouldn't want to risk it's structural integrity with chemicals or some coating. Just my 2 cents
100% this.

Ishisube

Lil-Rokslider
Rope wrapped handles on gaff hooks, fishing rods, ect.... get epoxy coated. Not so much coating, as the epoxy absorbs into the material. You wipe almost all of the excess off so the wrapped handle looks and feels much like there is no epoxy at all.

I don't think I'd recommend 550 cord for this. It seems pretty thick and soft with the sheath and core configuration. Usually I use a solid braid type cord like halibut gangion or similar.

The West systems G-flex 650 epoxy works great for handles. Others would work as well, just don't want brittle or fast cure type stuff.
Everything in this post is spot on. Varying thicknesses of string according to grip feel is the way to go, and like you said, wipe off the excess and you'll have an excellent grip that doesn't go anywhere and feels the way you want it to.

Once again, there are better types of line to make a handle wrap out of than paracord, and I suppose the best/only reason to go with paracord would be if someone was sold on the idea of having it available for an emergency of some sort.

GARLICSALT

Lil-Rokslider
A marine type spar finish will work. That’s what I use anyway for west coast deckhand style fishing rods and gaffs. Couple light coats. It will go on looking cloudy but drys clear. Lasts several years and can always recoat them. You might test it first since I’m using seine cord, not paracord.
YEP