What can I rechamber my 308 to?

AM_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Im hanging up my my first hunting rifle for awhile. I carried it for 8 years on numerous unsuccessful California hunts and last season was the last time I plan to carry it, at least for awhile. I replaced it with a Seekins Havak Element and that thing is now my go to Deer, Bear, Pig rifle for the foreseeable future.

My question is what should I do with it? Im not one for selling guns (especially in california) and since it was my first rifle and all the personal work I did to it I dont want to get rid of it. However I do want to give it a complete makeover.

In its current state it is a Remington 700 SPS 308 with factory barrel, clamp on muzzle brake, timney trigger, magpul hunter 700 stock, topped with a vortex viper HST. Aside from the action I plan to replace everything. Likely going in a MDT ESS with full top rail, barrel will either be a carbon fiber barrel or heavyish steel barrel with a proper brake, and probably a trijicon, NF, or leupold on top.

Now for the primary question and thread topic, what can I and what should I rebarrel it to for fun/accuracy but also some practicality? This gun will primarily be a bench and long range fun shooting gun, not necessarily for hunting unless my Seekins goes down for some reason.

I thought it would be fun to mess around with the 6ARC but I dont know if I can rebarrel that into a .308 action. Does anyone know of the options or have any recommendations?

Thanks!

Park it in the corner and get a tikka. That's what I did with my 700.

Tikka is better. Factory barrels shoot tight, Pre fit barrels are easy, UM tikka rings are bullet proof, and if you fall down the rabbit hole on this forum, more reliable action and trigger.

OP
A

AM_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider

Tikka is better. Factory barrels shoot tight, Pre fit barrels are easy, UM tikka rings are bullet proof, and if you fall down the rabbit hole on this forum, more reliable action and trigger.
Thats an idea but I dont need a new rifle, my Seekins is already the replacement for this rifle. Im looking for options and ideas on rebuilding this one.

Ringbill27

Lil-Rokslider
I’d go to a 7mm08 but I have been thinking of trying something crazy like 277-08.

But I like this idea more.

It doesn't seem like you have distinct purpose/use case in mind but more so just want to spend money on something because it sounds cool. Example - Carbon fiber barrel or heavyish steel barrel aren't really intended to be for the same thing.

Do you plan to use factory ammo or handload?

Last edited:

180ls1

WKR
Please excuse how blunt and abrasive I am about to be, I mean the best with what I am about to say.

If the goal is to become a better killer/hunter, keep the 308 and spend the $$$ on gas and time in field. Not gear, especially since you haven't shot anything anyways. You really don't need another caliber, you need to improve your skill set.

OP
A

AM_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Please excuse how blunt and abrasive I am about to be, I mean the best with what I am about to say.

If the goal is to become a better killer/hunter, keep the 308 and spend the $$$ on gas and time in field. Not gear, especially since you haven't shot anything anyways. You really don't need another caliber, you need to improve your skill set.

Appreciate the feedback but this is just for fun. The goal of this build is nothing to do with hunting, the build itself in no way reflects use in hunting and like stated is primarily for fun and for shooting. Spending money on this build in no way will affect how much time and money I will be spending on shooting my main hunting rifle, practicing, scouting or gas for hunting season.

OP
A

AM_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
It doesn't seem like you have distinct purpose/use case in mind but more so just want to spend money on something because it sounds cool. Example - Carbon fiber barrel or heavyish steel barrel aren't really intended to be for the same thing.

Do you plan to use factory ammo or handload?

Purpose case/use is for fun. Youre right in the fact that I want to do the carbon fiber barrel or heavyish steel barrel because it looks cool as I just like the look of the heavy contour barrel. I know a steel barrel is more ideal than a CF one but like I said I just like the look of the CF and this build is for fun.

I will likely just be reloading for it.

OP
A

AM_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
How well does the rifle shoot as is?
A "shooter" 308 is always a great rifle to keep around.
It shoots ok, its probably got 3000+ rounds through it at this point but with decent ammo it would group a little over an MOA to 1.5 MOA typically. Will definitely need a new barrel either way.

Purpose case/use is for fun. Youre right in the fact that I want to do the carbon fiber barrel or heavyish steel barrel because it looks cool as I just like the look of the heavy contour barrel. I know a steel barrel is more ideal than a CF one but like I said I just like the look of the CF and this build is for fun.

I will likely just be reloading for it.

What do you like about the MDT ESS? How does that fit the fun use case? Functionally for most applications, i dont see what it'd do better than a KRG bravo. I'd prefer a bravo. That is my point and it isn't meant to pick on you. It seems that a lot of people spend a lot of money on building rifles because they see other people doing it and they like the idea or appearance of them even if that doesn't amount to a real functional benefit. An ESS and a Carbon barrel gets you an appearance and $1000 less in your bank account vs a bravo and steel. If having a gun that looks a certain way amounts to fun for you, than what I have to say about it doesn't mean much. I just don't think everyone is honest with themselves about that.

If you're reloading for it i think I'd lean towards chambering in 6 BR for a "Fun" gun. Very low recoil and very hard to make shoot poorly but still with enough velocity and high enough BC bullets to shoot out there a ways. Brass lasts forever, you dont need as much powder, good barrel life, not going to foul as fast as some of the bigger cartridges, etc.

OP
A

AM_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
What do you like about the MDT ESS? How does that fit the fun use case? Functionally for most applications, i dont see what it'd do better than a KRG bravo. I'd prefer a bravo. That is my point and it isn't meant to pick on you. It seems that a lot of people spend a lot of money on building rifles because they see other people doing it and they like the idea or appearance of them even if that doesn't amount to a real functional benefit. An ESS and a Carbon barrel gets you an appearance and $1000 less in your bank account vs a bravo and steel. If having a gun that looks a certain way amounts to fun for you, than what I have to say about it doesn't mean much. I just don't think everyone is honest with themselves about that.

If you're reloading for it i think I'd lean towards chambering in 6 BR for a "Fun" gun. Very low recoil and very hard to make shoot poorly but still with enough velocity and high enough BC bullets to shoot out there a ways. Brass lasts forever, you dont need as much powder, good barrel life, not going to foul as fast as some of the bigger cartridges, etc.
I by no means feel picked on, I always enjoy peoples ideas and opinions so I can factor them in if need be. I like the ESS purely for its looks. Ive always liked the look of the chassis rifle with the full top rail like the remington MSRs and XM2010s so this is my chance to build one in a sense. I looked at KRG and XLR but I dont think they have a full top rail option, only the bolt on NV mounts. TBH the fun of this build is going to be the looks and the enjoyment of shooting it. Something low recoil to shoot out a couple hundred yards sounds fun. I like the idea of the 6BR. Leaning towards that, 6 or 22 creed, but am still curios about if I can do 6ARC or not.