What are your 16” 223 Speeds?

My T3 lite order got canceled so back to the drawing board. Wondering about tikkas 16” threaded options but concerned about the velocity

Saw some promising data in the 223 for everything thread but only a few with 16” bolt 223 data.

If you don’t mind posting your load data as well that would be appreciated! Bolt guns only please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
T
If I needed one today I’d have a hard time not buying that 16” Roughtech

That’s were I’m at.. the lite would be ideal but by the time I have to have it cut and thread for $150 and wait 1-2 weeks to have it done (difference between using it this year or not for hunts), it’s not as appealing as the roughtech. And it’s thread 5/8-24 which saves me $50 in supp end adapter.

Just wish it was 18” or 20” long for the extra velocity

Lawnboi

WKR
That’s were I’m at.. the lite would be ideal but by the time I have to have it cut and thread for $150 and wait 1-2 weeks to have it done (difference between using it this year or not for hunts), it’s not as appealing as the roughtech. And it’s thread 5/8-24 which saves me $50 in supp end adapter.

Just wish it was 18” or 20” long for the extra velocity

That 2” won’t matter. It’s still a 223 and will still be one at 20”.

It’s threaded already and imo if your going to use a rail a glued on factory rail is the best option. They are friction fit and glued, one less thing you need to do. That is assuming they treat the Roughtech like the ctr

OP
T
That 2” won’t matter. It’s still a 223 and will still be one at 20”.

It’s threaded already and imo if your going to use a rail a glued on factory rail is the best option. They are friction fit and glued, one less thing you need to do. That is assuming they treat the Roughtech like the ctr

Good point… I keep trying to wring out as much velocity out of the 223 to get me to that 600/700 yard range if needed (most my shots are 350-550)

My plan was to use UM or sport match rings so the rail would be of to much value to me. Or would you stick with the rail and pic rings?

Lawnboi

WKR
Good point… I keep trying to wring out as much velocity out of the 223 to get me to that 600/700 yard range if needed (most my shots are 350-550)

My plan was to use UM or sport match rings so the rail would be of to much value to me. Or would you stick with the rail and pic rings?

If the factory rail is glued/pinned like all the other factory tikka rails I would buy a quality set of picatinny rings.

Re the 223 at that range. Personally I don’t see it as a viable option past about 350-400 yards. You will not out BC the bullet with a couple hundred fps, and at the end of the day your really limited less by impact velocity, but wind imo.

At my home range, a 77tmk in my home environment is a 4mph rifle. At 400 yards, one single mph of wind is moving that bullet a tenth. Great training tool, great killing machine for okay wind callers(what I’d consider myself) at 350-400, but past that, just the lulls and idiosyncrasies of wind can move that bullet much farther than I am comfortable with. 600 yards with the 223 in field conditions… you better have that wind dialed.

Tikka compact 223, barrel cut to 16.5" with 1/2x28 thread and Harvester Evo can.

Factory BH 77gr TMK average 2641
Factory Fiocchi Target Max 55gr FMJ average 2706