What are you sleeping on?

First off, my current camp setup consists of a tent (Marmot Limelite) with a footprint, and a thermarest z-lite sleeping pad (non inflatable). I have been wanting to upgrade pads to a Neoair lite to save room and it looks alot more comfortable.
However, since I have discovered rokslide, I am very interested in tarp-style shelters (no floor)
I have a few questions here;
If I stick with my tent do I really need a footprint under it?
If I switch to a paratarp or something similar should I be concerned with puncturing an inflatable pad?
Are you tarp guys even using sleeping pads? inflatabale/noninflatable)? How are you protecting them?

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
BC, I generally use a tent or bivy with floors and without a footprint. I use a NeoAir and have not had any issues with punctures. On a couple of occasions I was a little concerned, but I go as light as possible, so I never pack a footprint. The NeoAir can be a little noisy if you move around a lot, but I found the comfort to worth the noise. The only issue I have had was at higher elevation and cold air. My issue was if I blew it up in warmer temps, it would lose a little pressure as it got cold during the night, not much but some. Overall, I love mind and it has worked well so far.

6x6

FNG
I would say no to the footprint. Just extra weight to me. In my supertarp, I use a z lite closed cell pad most of the time. If I do bring the air pad, I use a piece of tyvek under it. I've never had much of a problem with punctures.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
We usually use NeoAirs inside a floored nest when we camp in our GoLite Tipis, but I wouldn't have any hesitation about putting them directly onto the ground. The floor of our nest provides some protection sure, but I doubt it would really prevent a puncture if something super sharp were underneath. Honestly just picking your camp spot carefully and moving any really sharp rocks or sticks should do the trick. The main reason I prefer a nest is that it provides bug protection and keeps moisture and debris (moss, twigs, dirt, etc) away from clean/dry clothes and sleeping bags. When Luke camps without me he takes a bivy sack for his pad and bag, but when we camp together we are in zip together WM bags and so the nest is nice.

My issue was if I blew it up in warmer temps, it would lose a little pressure as it got cold during the night, not much but some. Overall, I love mind and it has worked well so far.
We experienced something similar and For this reason, we typically set up camp and inflate pads as soon as we decide to stop for the night. Let them sit until just before bed, while fixing dinner, eating, etc. then top them off with air just before crawling in. This has really reduced the amount of deflation. In the event you leave your camp set up in one spot for more than one night, be sure to let a little air out in the morning or the heat of the day could potentially cause a leak as the pressure increases with daytime temps.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Becca is right on point, I do the same system with mine. But it did take a couple of nights to figure it out though.

dotman

WKR
Currentlu I only use a zlite, thinking about an air pad but probably just use the zlite only again this year. I have a supertarp, no foot print used but will put some tyvek down under the pad.

All my camping occurs in a floorless shelter. I use a z lite foam pad, or a big agnes insulated air core, or both one on top of the other!

Doj4Whlr

Lil-Rokslider
3-4 years ago I finally went back to an inflatible (NeoAir) due primarily to the added comfort with the light weight small form bonus. I had much reservation about this given prior years of experience and the desire to have something between me and the cold ground other than a flat air mattress. It has been a good decision so far. My opinion is that it's best to use some sort of ground cloth though.

Lawnboi

WKR
Im a firm believer in the closed cell foam pads, then an inflatable shor one on top of the foam when it gets cold. Closed cell pads just have too many uses for me not to take one.

D

david long

Compass,

I have backpack hunted for over 20 years and have never used a footprint with any of my tents.....i have never punctured my pad or put a hole in the floor of any tents. Footprints are simply extra weight!

I use the BA Air Core Mummy Pad.

littlebuf

Banned
i use a thermarest pro lite 4.looks like im the only one too,use to be a pretty popular pad.i love it and sleep very comfy on it.i am going to pick up a neo air in the future.if it is a suitable replacement it will be nice weight savings

Does anyone have a hard time keeping the NeoAir pad under your sleeping bag? I can stay on a BA Air Core all night, but last summer I tried the NeoAire to save weight and it kept squirting out from underneath me. I had to readjust my sleeping set-up three to four times a night. I eventually took on the extra weight and went back to the BA.