What are you sleeping on?

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does anyone have a hard time keeping the NeoAir pad under your sleeping bag? I can stay on a BA Air Core all night, but last summer I tried the NeoAire to save weight and it kept squirting out from underneath me. I had to readjust my sleeping set-up three to four times a night. I eventually took on the extra weight and went back to the BA.

Never had this issue despite 50+ nights...typically we use two NeoAirs coupled together into a double mattress (with the velcro straps made for this purpose, by ExPed I believe?) and then zip our Western Mountaineering bags together, and this whole set up is inside a nest so perhaps this helps keep the pads underneath us? Even so, haven't felt much slipping at all, so maybe it's something to do with your sleeping bag outer material?

I accidentally bought one of the big neoair pads. The thing is huge and still about the same weight as my big agnes insulated aircore. It was amazingly comfortable on my brooks range sheep hunt but I will pick up a smaller one before my next big trip mainly so it will actually fit inside my tigoat raven bivi with me. I only have about a dozen days on it but sure do like it so far.

Rod

Lil-Rokslider
BA duel core & zlite, looking at either exped ul 7 or Neo Air to cut weight from the duel core.

ridgefire

WKR
i have been looking for a footprint for my fly creek ul2 but because i use a neoair pad but think im going to scratch that. i have not noticed much squeeking using the neoair with my marmot helium.

Segan

FNG
I switched to a Inertia X Frame last season the wieght is awesome at around 10.5 oz. with the pump. But thats not the best part it takes up hardly any space in my pack and will fit anywhere I need it to. Also you can depending on the size of your bag slip it inside the bag and your not chasing it all night. It is not as comfortable as others that i've tried but well worth it in my book.

JNDEER

WKR
I think useing the footprint really depends on where your going to be. Hunting high country with green everywhere is way safer than say our CA july A zone hunt with dry and dead grass/stickers everywhere.

I use the neoair trekker and it is very loud to sleep on, but sleeps very well.

Rizzy

WKR
I upgraded from the foam pad to the neoair last season. The comfort level it provides is well worth the weight, noise, and hassle of rolling it up in the morning. A good nights sleep is like a heated shelter in that it pays dividends throughout the hunt.

I use a Supertarp and put the neoair on a ground sheet, it keeps it cleaner. Gossamer Gear has some thin foam pads that look ideal for using under the neoair, especially during colder hunts. I wish they would offer the 1/8" thinlight in a bigger size.