What are the essentials for hunting camp?

CC268

FNG
Hey guys just wondering what your essential gear/items are for carrying in your hunting pack for setting up camp? I will be honest most the hunting I do, I end up back at the truck at the end of the day to setup camp. I don't really do any camping away from the truck when I hunt. I am just trying to come up with a list of items needed for hunting camp. I suppose I could always keep extra items back at the truck.

I am thinking more of a list of the things I would need while out on a hunt (cooking stuff for lunch, etc)

- Tent
- Sleeping Bag
- Mat
- Jetboil/MSR Pocket Rocket
- Eating utensils

Of course I will have a pack (possibly the EXO Mountain Pack) as well.

Also jetboil or MSR pocket rocket? The MSR is quite a bit cheaper, but my buddy has a jetboil I used one time and it was nice.

What else?

Basically the ten essentials....

Sunglasses and hat
Water bladder and tabs or filter
Map/compass or GPS
Fire starter
First aid kit: pills, bandages, tape and triple antibiotic ointment.
Extra clothes: raingear and puffy and wool cap
Extra food
Knife, multi tool.
Signaling device: Phone or spot messenger or whistle or mirror.
Mountain money aka TP

I'll also carry.....
Tarp
Axe
Para stove
Camp chair (scouting) self inflating butt pad (hunting)
Optics: scope, tripod, binos and camera.
Kill kit
Coffee and snow peak mug
5 mil contractor bag
Whiskey

Throw in a sleeping bag, pad, bivy and jet boil and that's pretty much my standard list.

As for utensils you only need one, a snow peak ti spork. Mines easily the oldest piece of equipment I use probably twenty years old and looks brand new.

Last edited:
OP
C

CC268

FNG
Thanks a lot!

Any other suggestions from others is greatly appreciated!

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Justins Peanut Butter, Hydration tablets or drink Mix I take my cook kit + an extra cup with Lid for coffee or eating my mountain houses out of.

Sanitary Wipes to clean yourself.

Sleep agent whatever your pleasure is. Puffy Coat other layers as needed for the weather. I take a Thermarest seat pad also cause its rough sitting on the ground all the time.

Otherwise Brood covered most of it.

This is where its important to get out on hiking overnight scouting backpacking trips so you can put your gear to use and see where you are lacking. youll find yourself going ok didnt even use that dont need it or crap wish I had that on this trip.

Im big on keeping myself clean out there. I take toothbrush toothpaste and the wipes to clean up. its huge for keeping your moral up and also keeping your scent down.
Youll find yourself wishing for some creature comforts or find that you dont need them.

OP
C

CC268

FNG
Thanks for the help guys, I know there are some general lists online from like Cabelas and REI that I can reference as well.

I will need to buy a MSR pocket rocket or Jetboil soon.