What are reasonable goals for group size?

Generally for 10 shot group under 1.5moa @ 100 is what I consider sufficient for a rifle I plan to shoot out to 1000 yards and hunt out to 600 yards.

Ideally I’d get closer to .75-1.25moa but thats not always possible with the tier of rifles typically buy/build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vern400

WKR
I agree basically with the first response post.
10 shots in 1.25 in is very good especially for a standard weight deer rifle. 100 yds. On a bench, the expensive rifle helps you. In the field I think shooter skill is a bigger Factor by far.

You should be able to do this more than once on different days.

The only caution is: if you have large extreme spread of velocity in your ammunition, you will not find it at 100 yards. If you're going to hunt at 400 you need to shoot at 400. I have found my groups at 400 yards are pretty much a hair bigger than 4x the 100 yd results if it's not Gusty wind.

Past 400 yd with a modern rifle is where ALL the variables start to matter- spin, altitude, temperature, barometric pressure and all that good stuff. That's also where you'll start seeing the difference between Speer and Berger bullets.
Maybe that's a poor example, but it's true.

BKM

FNG
This is a fantastic topic, most people including myself until recently have no idea what is good better best for the gear they shoot.

This is especially true when you search on line and guys are shooting anything from a $500 up to custom level guns in the same thread about accuracy

I totally agree that with a factory barreled gun 1 1/4 inch 10 shot groups are great with a handload or factory that the gun likes.

Many guns are realistically not going to shoot that well with anything and 1 1/2-2” is all your going to get

WCB

WKR
If you can hit a pie plat every shot out to 400 yards in real world hunting conditions, you're doing better than 95% of the people who are walking around you in the woods.....

Including the guy wearing $1,500 worth of Kuiu gear......just saying.
You mean a pie plate at 200 yards...The 95% are I think worse shooters than most think

2-Stix

WKR
I agree basically with the first response post.
10 shots in 1.25 in is very good especially for a standard weight deer rifle. 100 yds. On a bench, the expensive rifle helps you. In the field I think shooter skill is a bigger Factor by far.

You should be able to do this more than once on different days.

The only caution is: if you have large extreme spread of velocity in your ammunition, you will not find it at 100 yards. If you're going to hunt at 400 you need to shoot at 400. I have found my groups at 400 yards are pretty much a hair bigger than 4x the 100 yd results if it's not Gusty wind.

Past 400 yd with a modern rifle is where ALL the variables start to matter- spin, altitude, temperature, barometric pressure and all that good stuff. That's also where you'll start seeing the difference between Speer and Berger bullets.
Maybe that's a poor example, but it's true.
This is exactly my experience.

ajf243

FNG
Sitting behind a 245 gr bullet doing 2900 and trying to shoot 15-20 shot groups is a guarantee my groups will open up.

I have a target for 100, 300, and about 500 yards. each has 3 aim points, cold bore, 2nd and 3rd shot.
If I'm starting at 300yrds I put that target up and shoot to each aim point.
I care more about these groups than shooting 20 rounds in the same session at the same aimpoint.

Rippey715

FNG
I like to shoot 9-12 shot Kraft drills for groups. I assume the rifle and ammo are better than me so I try to test myself as the weak point in the system. From there I’ll look at overall group size and mean radius. And while I always want a smaller group, it’s incredibly rare I shoot at anything under 1.5 moa so that would be my maximum threshold at any distance. Good luck 👍

davidl

FNG
I think a lot of people would be surprised to see how rare it is to shoot consistently under 1" 5 shot groups

Dmoua

Lil-Rokslider
I’m ok with 1/2 moa for a 10 shot group. 1/4 minute gun won’t make a difference if the individual can’t read conditions down range.