What and how do you carry your sidearm in the highcountry?

Agree with IS, water is much more important. I’ve hunted Idaho and Wyoming around Yellow Stone and never cut a grizzly track.
If a cracked out sheep herder comes after me, I’ve got 5 nice sharp broadheads to fight with.
I find it almost beyond belief that you've hunted those areas and not saw Grizzly tracks. I hunted Wyoming around Yellowstone, and saw actual Grizzlies nearly every day and plenty of tracks. I would never go without my Springfield 10mm, usually in an Ivory Holster on my Exo, but there's plenty of Grizzlies where I live! I see the actual bears, tracks, and get many many trail camera pictures of them.

striped1

FNG
The Gunfighters Inc, Kenai is the best option out there. It stays on you when you take your pack off and when you take your bino pouch off. How many wear a pack or bino harness when quartering an animal? A firearm not on you in bear country is not worth much. Ask the elk guide killed outside of Jackson a few years back by a griz and a bowhunter who had no idea how to handle it.

Beendare

WKR
Funny stories, I have been glassing on a knob with my big binos on a tripod and moved away from my bow and pack....then had a Javelina snort while sniffing my pack

And on another trip, same deal, glassing from a hillside and a black bear sauntered up behind me and a buddy 8' away so quiet it was shocking. In both cases they were more afraid of me than I was of them.....

I typically have a bear tag which is the best repellant...but pawing through Alders on the AK islands or in areas near YNP- I'm never far from my G20...and I figure right about the time I have my pants down around my ankles will be the time they decide to charge.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
In AK or high grizzly population hunts it’s either chest harness or under my bino harness. Neither one gets in the way of rifle shooting.

The_Yetti

Lil-Rokslider
I have a S&W M&P Shield EZ in 30 super carry that I carry in a Eberlestock nosegunner. Works well for me.

psp8ball

FNG
I carry a Glock 30 chambered in 460 Rowland with Buffalo Bore hard cast bullets. I personally love this setup as I have 44 mag power in a semi auto platform I'm comfortable with.

As for carrying. I use the Kenai chest holster behind my FHF binocular harness. (which has bear spray on the bottom of it). As others have mentioned, the whole point of the sidearm is to always have it. The standalone nature of the chest rig means I have it on when gutting, pooping, sleeping etc.

Article 4

WKR
Glock 10mm with buffalo bore 220 hard cast. I have been within 50 yards of Grizzly and less with moose. It’s a lot of gun but if needed, I’ll be glad for the weight and all 15 rounds!!

You assume correctly, 95% of the time archery, 80% solo. It’s not about stone size, it’s about being smart IMO. Always keep a clean camp, always be situationally aware. If you’re sitting around the campfire, your pistol better be in your hand. Most folks never fire a gun in a high stress situation, so they’re just flinging lead in hopes.
I’d be interested to know how many people who pack a gun hunting have ever had to draw and fire in self defense.
TV will rot your brain and give you nightmares.
You`re a better man than I am, Gunga Din! I guess it`s the things that might be beyond my personal control that give me cause for pause. I`d rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I`ve found that to be a wise adage in my 7 decades on the planet.

GreyBeck

Lil-Rokslider
anyone ever carry when you hunt with a guide? i'd expect some guides cringe @ the thought of a sidearm.

I have a Hosking chest holster for a G20. just not sure i actually want to carry it or even need in for hunts in Idaho.

Fmarji

FNG
Northwest retention systems - now Invader Concepts holster. Custom molded for your gun, optic, light, barrel length. Lots of color options as well. Great company to work with. Added some extra grip wrap. Buffalo Bore 10mm hardcast. Easy to adjust above your bino harness and the wide straps are comfortable. Never regretting having it and that light is 1350 lumens with a green laser. Quick target acquisition for low light situations. Definitely will light up the night. Peace of mind for solo hunting. This set up has worked well under multiple bino harnesses. IMG_6881.jpegIMG_6882.jpeg

I also use the invader concepts recon chest holster under my bino harness. It's very similar to the Kenai chest holster and works well.

LaFever

FNG
Keltec makes .32 that weighs 7 ounces, empty, I always thought the north American arms mini-revolver would be good ,If you're thinking u need a pistol to protect you because your elk rifle won't be enough
If it's grizzly country then I want a .44 magnum ,in Colorado the weight of a heavy pistol isn't necessary

lintond

WKR
I’ve carried them in a ton of different configurations. My preference is on my pack belt but realize that’s an issue when you don’t have your pack on.

This year I have the razco ROMR setup which allows me to move my holster from my pack to my bino to a chest rig. I’ll carry the chest rig in my pack to be used either around camp or when processing an elk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strider

Lil-Rokslider
When hunting alone in grizzly country I carry a handgun in my pack. Bear spray on my bino harness. Spray doesn't work well when your in a bivy sack or tent. Hence the gun for around camp and in the bivy sack. Having had multiple bear encounters the spray is the best bet. Unless you can actually handle a handgun at a level of competency I don't have nor have seen. There are a couple spring bear spots that I hunt that you are watching grizzlies as you are stalking blackies. I do take a handgun in a chest holster on those days. Becouse of the boosted sense of security I hunt better. Whatever gets you out there enjoying the woods right?