What Am I missing? Custom Gun build VS Pre Fit.

DW1996

FNG
The guy making $20/hour is loading parts into a fixture that is virtually idiot proof and the G-code program was written but someone likely more skilled than a 1 guy shop gunsmith. It then is getting QC’ed by a separate person. There is no reason why mass produced parts are going to be worse and they likely pull it off at a fraction of the cost. Off the shelf prefits are cheaper and available to ship today. Economies of scale in manufacturing are mind blowing and do not require cutting corners in precision.

If you are shooting factory ammo in a modern cartridge there is zero reason to tweak chamber geometry or change twist rates. That is the stuff you had to 20 years ago for a precision rifle with cartridges designed in the 1960’s hot rodded for heavy for caliber bullets.

I honestly think the value in a gunsmith on a custom rifle has to do with feeding reliability more than accuracy. It’s a one stop warranty solution instead of sorting out issues that combined 3 or more companies components. The money saved by putting it together yourself will buy a 2nd barrel if the first one won’t shoot for some reason.

+1. Seems to be more hits than misses with most modern prefits.

OP
C

cjaviator

FNG
Alright... As promised here are the results... All shots were with factory Hornady Precision Hunter 175gr ELD-x

IMG_1824.jpeg

After a few rounds to get it close to zeroed, the first group was 5 rounds suppressed. I aimed to measure from outer edge to outer edge so .943 - .284 = .659

IMG_1827.jpeg

Second 5 round group. Still suppressed. .1.097 - .284 = .813

IMG_1828.jpeg

Third 5 round group. This time un-suppressed. Seems to like the suppressor for some reason? Could have been some variables in my shooting ability but I felt like they were all good shots. 2.068 - .284 = 1.784

IMG_1830.jpeg

Last group... Tried to really take my time on a 3 round group. .740 - .284 = .456

IMG_1829.jpeg

For a first time out with only one type of ammo to test things are looking good for this gun. I did end up buying dies and some Peterson brass to see what I can sneak out of it with some hand loads, however it will be a ways down the road until I have the time.

-Cheers

Alright... As promised here are the results... All shots were with factory Hornady Precision Hunter 175gr ELD-x

View attachment 732806

After a few rounds to get it close to zeroed, the first group was 5 rounds suppressed. I aimed to measure from outer edge to outer edge so .943 - .284 = .659

View attachment 732807

View attachment 732808

Third 5 round group. This time un-suppressed. Seems to like the suppressor for some reason? Could have been some variables in my shooting ability but I felt like they were all good shots. 2.068 - .284 = 1.784

View attachment 732809

Last group... Tried to really take my time on a 3 round group. .740 - .284 = .456

View attachment 732810

For a first time out with only one type of ammo to test things are looking good for this gun. I did end up buying dies and some Peterson brass to see what I can sneak out of it with some hand loads, however it will be a ways down the road until I have the time.

-Cheers
How do you like the Fuzion Ti?

Fireflyfishing

Lil-Rokslider

View attachment 732806

View attachment 732807

View attachment 732808

View attachment 732809

View attachment 732810

-Cheers
I bet it gets better the more rounds through the tube.

waspocrew

WKR

View attachment 732806

View attachment 732807

View attachment 732808

View attachment 732809

View attachment 732810

-Cheers
Hard to tell from the pics, but do you remember the camo pattern on your LRH stock?

OP
C

cjaviator

FNG
How do you like the Fuzion Ti?
Fusion TI is awesome. The titanium is a little weird, it feels more like a toy then the traditional steel actions that i'm used to. But the bolt movement is effortless. Really happy with it.

One more important thing to note... It feeds very well with the hawkins hunter dbm. I have done nothing to it and it is one of the best feeding rifles in my safe.

waspocrew

WKR
The picture that the sales rep sent me was labeled 40% ET base 30% Pecan 30% metallic silver. I was skeptical of the pecan color but I like it.

The pecan looks great. Thanks for the break down! Looking to purchase another LRH stock, but not sure I want the extended lead time of a custom order. Although your stock is certainly persuasive.

OP
C

cjaviator

FNG
The pecan looks great. Thanks for the break down! Looking to purchase another LRH stock, but not sure I want the extended lead time of a custom order. Although your stock is certainly persuasive.
Yeah I hear ya. I would keep an eye on their in stock items. I was able to find this one in stock and had it in 5 days. Maybe I just got lucky but definitely but worth the look.

wildcat33

WKR

View attachment 732806

View attachment 732807

View attachment 732808

View attachment 732809

View attachment 732810

-Cheers

Did you buy prefit and have a smith assemble or assemble everything yourself? Either way, congrats thats one hell of a rifle.