What am I forgetting?

Jaquomo

WKR
Sometimes you have to take the advice with a grain of salt. Last year the elk were scarce in my area, where normally in September it is great. I didn't find them in their usual places in summer, and they weren't there in the fall. The other guys I knew in the area who had hunted there for many years were experiencing the same. Locals were telling me the winterkill was way worse on the ground on that winter range than F&G was reporting.

I called the "new" young female biologist to talk about it. She was kind of snippy, said she flew that winter range in early February and didn't see any significant mortality. I pointed out that most of the mortality in that particular area occurred in March and April. She huffed, "Well, I guess you'll just have to hunt harder".

OP
Mw01313

Mw01313

Lil-Rokslider
Sometimes you have to take the advice with a grain of salt. Last year the elk were scarce in my area, where normally in September it is great. I didn't find them in their usual places in summer, and they weren't there in the fall. The other guys I knew in the area who had hunted there for many years were experiencing the same. Locals were telling me the winterkill was way worse on the ground on that winter range than F&G was reporting.

I called the "new" young female biologist to talk about it. She was kind of snippy, said she flew that winter range in early February and didn't see any significant mortality. I pointed out that most of the mortality in that particular area occurred in March and April. She huffed, "Well, I guess you'll just have to hunt harder".
You'd think that would be something a biologist would want to discuss. I know that any information I get will most likely be general and vague. Just figured any I got would be a plus.

Jaquomo

WKR
Definitely worth a shot. Just don't be surprised if some of the spots are popular. I wasn't a biologist, only a ranger and naturalist. Even so, I got so many calls and visits to ask about the same stuff that there were only so many different answers I could give. They get that times 50.

OP
Mw01313

Mw01313

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely worth a shot. Just don't be surprised if some of the spots are popular. I wasn't a biologist, only a ranger and naturalist. Even so, I got so many calls and visits to ask about the same stuff that there were only so many different answers I could give. They get that times 50.
I think the most important thing for me would be the logistical stuff. Roads etc. May keep from focusing on an area that may be impossible to reach that time of year. I am going solo so there's definitely a limit on how far away from the truck I can shoot something. On that note, would GW or FS be the best place to ask about an outfitter that is licensed to work that area that may be willing to pack?

Jaquomo

WKR
The last three WY packers I found were from asking around in the nearest town. Just understand that they aren't sitting around waiting for you to call with a dead elk, so it might be several days before they get back to you, and you may likely not have cell service where you are. I've found it's better to try to communicate with them via InReach.

Last packer I needed replied back (via InReach text), "Oh sorry, I forgot to tell you, my boss sent me to Nebraska on a job and I won't be back for three weeks."

WRO

WKR
I don’t hunt Wyoming so note that, but when I draw an out of state tag, I’ll call the bio, epic out door resources and read the internet allot. If I see a place mentioned a bunch I generally ignore it in fact I try to avoid most of the places mentioned because the easy information everyone has..

It’s worked well so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JFK

WKR
I have called Wyo biologists and wardens in the past. I’ve had better luck getting in touch with the wardens and they’ve generally been more willing to talk. One in particular really helped me out. Gave some solid hunting advice, even some spots to fish when we were done antelope hunting. Ended up talking for like 45 minutes. The biologists were helpful too but seemed busier and would give very short answers.

OP
Mw01313

Mw01313

Lil-Rokslider
The last three WY packers I found were from asking around in the nearest town. Just understand that they aren't sitting around waiting for you to call with a dead elk, so it might be several days before they get back to you, and you may likely not have cell service where you are. I've found it's better to try to communicate with them via InReach.

Last packer I needed replied back (via InReach text), "Oh sorry, I forgot to tell you, my boss sent me to Nebraska on a job and I won't be back for three weeks."
I'll try that. I will have an inreach with me. Probably wouldn't try solo without one since kids came along. I'll keep what you said in mind on the packer.

OP
Mw01313

Mw01313

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t hunt Wyoming so note that, but when I draw an out of state tag, I’ll call the bio, epic out door resources and read the internet allot. If I see a place mentioned a bunch I generally ignore it in fact I try to avoid most of the places mentioned because the easy information everyone has..

It’s worked well so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've been focused on looking at places that look good to me, I didn't think about doing searches to exclude areas. Could save a lot of time. Thanks

OP
Mw01313

Mw01313

Lil-Rokslider
I have called Wyo biologists and wardens in the past. I’ve had better luck getting in touch with the wardens and they’ve generally been more willing to talk. One in particular really helped me out. Gave some solid hunting advice, even some spots to fish when we were done antelope hunting. Ended up talking for like 45 minutes. The biologists were helpful too but seemed busier and would give very short answers.
I am going to contact several different types and see what info I get. Maybe combining 3 or 4 viewpoints will give me a little nugget that makes a difference.