What active layer

archp625

WKR
I’m trying to decide what active layer I should buy. I always wear a KUIU 120 SS shirt, then I will wear a KUIU 145 or Stika Heavyweight Hoodie depending on temps. Sometimes both. While glassing I wear a Montbell puffy. I need that in between. In the past I’ve worn some type of fleece. I’m looking into the KUIU Kenai, SG Cirque, Sitka Ambient 100, or the Arc’teryx Atom LT. What is everyone wearing?

I want to be able to get down in single digits.

Bump79

WKR
I didn't care for the fit of the Kenai whatsoever. My only other experience is with the Ambient or older version. That's my vote.

Wapiti151

WKR
Ambient or Patagonia nano-air (or nano air light) would be my vote. Cool to cold weather active hunts, I never take the ambient off, I actually have the arrowhead MDWi version by Sitka…but essentially the same thing. Loved it so much I bought two more as back ups for a long time coming if they discontinue. Merino base, ambient (mdwi), dehaviland, dew point, Grumman has me covered for just about anything. Merino and ambient never come off because the ambient breathes so well, just layer over the top of that as needed.

I love my Patagonia nano-air and N-A lights equally as much though. I like those a bit better than the Atom, find that they breathe better.

The cirque is really warm comparatively and I replace the ambient with that if it’s REALLY cold. Definitely doesn’t breathe nearly as well…even the cirque light is much warmer than an ambient or nano air IMO and unless it’s at freezing temps or a little less, have to strip those if I’m hiking hard. Not so with the ambient, but the cirque is a lot more wind resistant too, which is a plus.

Last edited:

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
You’re looking for something to wear over your base and mid when you’re too active for the puffy? Or looking to replace some of the mid layers with a warmer version?

OP
archp625

archp625

WKR
You’re looking for something to wear over your base and mid when you’re too active for the puffy? Or looking to replace some of the mid layers with a warmer version?
Wear over my base and mid. I’m not a soft shell guy. I’ve had two and to me they are a waste. Not warm and just there. If moisture is falling I just throw on my dew point and go.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wear over my base and mid. I’m not a soft shell guy. I’ve had two and to me they are a waste. Not warm and just there. If moisture is falling I just throw on my dew point and go.
Outdoor Research Deviator hoodie. It’s very similar insulation to what’s in the Ambient but mapped with grid fleece across the back and under the arms. I’ve been able to be more active in it than the kenai and it layers better too.

stv117

Lil-Rokslider
you already have grate suggestions but am mainly comfortable with the KUIU Kenai, or the Sitka 100.. just you stick with your brand.