What a pack probably should not look like

This is an invitation for people to laugh at me. Please roast and critique.
View attachment 751517

Just buy the biggest exo bag there is then you don’t have to meat shelf and strap everything to the exterior.

Honestly I wouldn’t be running all that climbing stuff. It’s not worth risking your life for unless you have serious alpine climbing experience.

Hope I don’t ever have to reppelling for a goat.
But this book is a very valuable bit of kit imo
Freedom of the hills
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/1680510045/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?ie=UTF8&qid=&sr=

You can learn how to fashion a harness out of piece of tubular webbing and even a Munter hitch for rappelling.

Alaska92

FNG
This is an invitation for people to laugh at me. Please roast and critique.
View attachment 751517
With your post void of many details, I can reply with certainty, that your overall pack weight is too heavy. Even with the minor details posted later (dropping weight at a trailhead), this number begs detailed scrutiny. Rest assured, virtually any mountain hunt with a 14 day budget can easily and safely be accomplished successfully with much less weight. I have partaken in this “trimming of the fat” evolution for many years in the mountains of AK. It will continue to be a work in progress for us all……albeit a fun and interesting journey. Always remember the phrase “it’s not that you can’t, it’s that you won’t”. This usually applies to how much you are willing to sacrifice. Generally, a higher percentage of success and joy from a backpack style hunt will be the result of the lightest pack possible that undoubtedly comes from the fine line of sacrifice for comfort without the sacrifice for safety. Without a doubt, that also could be subjective.

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
This thread was meant to be funny, because that pack was ridiculous.

Climbing gear was not needed, nor 14 days of food. 5 days, 46 miles, 21,500 ft of elevation gain. 2 goats down (and a marmot). As I hiked mine out on the first second day, then came back to help my partner, 20 of those miles where under a 110 pound plus pack.

Weather was less than nice, but more than workable, we had one nice day, had several days of fog and rain with wind up to about 55 mph.

Last edited:

IDVortex

WKR
If I had to hunt with a pack like that for the rest of my life to be able to convince my wife to move to AK for the hunting opportunities, id be all over that pack.

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
The last time I had a pack that weighed 75 lbs at the start, I was hauling in a 12pk of beer, a big bota box of wine, two 5ths of fireball, 3 rockstars, 3 liters of water and 2 cream sodas for my kid! I was younger then.........
That is getting salty.