What a mess...

chisana

FNG

Anozira

WKR
Something smells fishy about that story. I'm not experienced with brown bears but the article writer downplays the efficiency .338 RUM at 470 yards. They claim they put a round in the boiler room (lungs) among two other shots. Not knowing what exact bullet they were shooting, a quick google search shows there should have still been ~2800 ft lbs of energy at 500. I don't understand.

Can someone with first hand brown bear experience explain? Are they really that tough or was the shot not as good as they claim?

Ive been guiding out of King Salmon for 20 years, don’t know her. I’m back there Sunday I’ll check into this but seems weird at best.

Britt-dog

Lil-Rokslider
The review is the local news rag here. This is just another example of their fine reporting. What a joke.

OP
chisana

chisana

FNG
Ive been guiding out of King Salmon for 20 years, don’t know her. I’m back there Sunday I’ll check into this but seems weird at best.
I believe they are relatively new to the area. Her husband is or was a pilot for the National Park Service.

gelton

WKR
Yeah, the issue here wasn't due to the proficiency of the shooter or the caliber. Such a strange way to write a story...to imagine a bear would charge you from 470 yards away and having a bolt action jam and not have time to clear the round??? Lots of unanswered questions for sure...and for those saying they are unqualified for those types of shots...these are the guys you are talking about. I would guess they are more proficient than 90% of the members on this site including me.

Yeah, the issue here wasn't due to the proficiency of the shooter or the caliber. Such a strange way to write a story...to imagine a bear would charge you from 470 yards away and having a bolt action jam and not have time to clear the round??? Lots of unanswered questions for sure...and for those saying they are unqualified for those types of shots...these are the guys you are talking about. I would guess they are more proficient than 90% of the members on this site including me.

I was keeping my mouth shut when the first few people compented. The whole family is a bunch of really exceptional people and great hunters, not to mention great shots. The write up certainly isn’t the best but podcast explains it well and Treavor (the shooter) explained it well on his Instagram page. Also Tanya isn’t a guide as stated above. She is Trevors sister so he is able to hunt with her in Alaska as a Idaho resident.

gelton

WKR
If anyone wants to hear what happened from the horses mouth, here it is...fast forward to 44 minutes if you want to get right to the meat of the story:

I was keeping my mouth shut when the first few people compented. The whole family is a bunch of really exceptional people and great hunters, not to mention great shots. The write up certainly isn’t the best but podcast explains it well and Treavor (the shooter) explained it well on his Instagram page. Also Tanya isn’t a guide as stated above. She is Trevors sister so he is able to hunt with her in Alaska as a Idaho resident.
Agree with Timberline001 on this 100%. These are great people that come from a great family that are straight up hunting machines. The podcast really puts you in their shoes and tells the story how it is. Crazy freak accident that absolutely could have easily been catastrophic.

I 100% respect the dedication it takes to shoot accurately at long range and fully believe these guys are capable of hitting targets at unreal distances. That said I'm sorry, I don't care how good you are on paper at 1000+, an 800+ yard shot on a moving black bear doesn't strike me as very ethical...many BC guides have rules to keep shots on bears 100 yards and under regardless of personal shooting ability and there's a reason for that. I've personally never shot a bear past 30, they're much more fun up close anyway ;)