Wet conditions hiking boot

wapitibob

WKR
I've got a wet trip scheduled this year and I'm going to take synthetic boots with the hope that the waterproofing lasts as long as possible and that they'll dry faster than a leather boot. Any thoughts on my reasoning? I'm used to dealing with snow vs constant wet conditions.

I've found it impossible to waterproof the mesh so water goes straight in between the outer and the gore bootie. Hydraulics force that water thru the gore-tex at the forefoot hinge point. Snow may be OK.
I put 7 layers of thinned silicone sealer on a pair of Salomon x-ultra and they still leaked.

OP
prm

prm

WKR
I've got a wet trip scheduled this year and I'm going to take synthetic boots with the hope that the waterproofing lasts as long as possible and that they'll dry faster than a leather boot. Any thoughts on my reasoning? I'm used to dealing with snow vs constant wet conditions.
I had the same question, hence this thread. In my experience I have been unable to waterproof a synthetic boot. I do need to send an email to Crispi to get their opinion. I am even leery of any synthetic other than the upper portion of the boot. All leather can at least be well treated so whatever makes it to the gore-tex should be limited. But, as you said, drying an all leather boot is tough when out in the woods.

OP
prm

prm

WKR
Crispi responded quickly. Basically matched my thoughts. Indicated that a properly treated leather (waterproofing cream) would be preferable, though either synthetic or leather could work.

Muttly

WKR
So two part answer..I live in SE Alaska, been wearing Hoffman armor pros at work last 4-5 years or thereabouts. In and out of a fuel truck all week, wear em year round. Enough water pouring straight off rain gear into, your feet can get wet, but I,ve only done that a couple times.
And semi dry, by SE standards, wear Scarpa Grand Dru on the weekends. I don't try to turn em into waders, but been out in some pretty heavy rain dumps, and feet have stayed dry.

OP
prm

prm

WKR
I ordered the Crispi Kenai boots. I like the idea of the full grain leather and a softer mid sole. We’ll see if the theory pans out.

gbflyer

WKR
I ordered the Crispi Kenai boots. I like the idea of the full grain leather and a softer mid sole. We’ll see if the theory pans out.

I would think those would be great. I wear the Valdres nearly year around. I like them so well that I have 2 pair for fear of them changing something. I treat them with Nikwax, which was the recommendation from Crispi. We don’t get quite as much rain as the poster above. Only about 90”. The only time I don’t wear them is on ice, I have studded Icebugs for that which are also awesome by the way, and the Xrtratuff which is SE Alaska official footwear when I’m around the nasty concrete or on the boat. They absolutely work but wear out quickly (now produced in China) and suck for much hiking in my opinion.

Reactions: prm
I've found it impossible to waterproof the mesh so water goes straight in between the outer and the gore bootie. Hydraulics force that water thru the gore-tex at the forefoot hinge point. Snow may be OK.
I put 7 layers of thinned silicone sealer on a pair of Salomon x-ultra and they still leaked.
If they’re cordura panels you can wax them with a wax bar and that does really well. If it’s the true mesh like Merrells and Salomon Quest uses there’s nothing that can be done.

I have had the best luck with zamberlan as far as long term waterproof, it’s always wet around here so that’s important to me. I have one pair that’s 2 years old that are still completely dry.

Synthetic panels are always going to shorten the life, between dirt, salmonberry thorns and blackberries, synthetic leaks… all leather and well maintained is a big plus for staying dry.

Asolo is another that I have had good luck with for being dry long term, the hunter gv is the best value boots I have ever encountered, at 230$ on Sierra, it’s a heck of a boot as long as you don’t have wide feet… they fit perfectly on me.

There are still plenty of days blacktail hunting when it’s dumping all day, and I will still wear xtratufs on a regular basis, I think they have better traction than any footwear I have ever worn, and way better than other rubber boots that are flat out dangerous in slick conditions, like climbing over a buckskin log, or wet rocks… I will pick xtratufs over anything for that type of stuff, and they are pretty comfortable… I have put a lot of miles on xtratufs, and are still part of my lineup for hunting