Wet conditions hiking boot

prm

WKR
What boots have worked well in very wet conditions? Creek crossings, bogs, wet vegetation, etc. while also putting on miles in both flat and steep terrain. I was watching some Alaska hunts and curious what boots have proven effective.

The goretex liners don't seem the same since they had to change them for the environment, so keep that in mind. For me the best waterproofing has been on the outside of the boots before it gets in and then the liner is a second layer only. IMO a good leather boot maintained and treated properly is the way to go. I just went back to Danners for this reason. Just don't buy their imported junk.

Muck boots are by far the best for keeping your feet dry in wet conditions, but they're absolutely miserable to hike in.

LoneStar

Lil-Rokslider
I've gone through a lot of brands over the years. Danner's, Lowa's, Meindl, and Lathrop and Son's. The only ones that I was really disappointed with are the Lathrop and Son's. They are very comfortable and a great boot, but for the price I would expect them to be waterproof for more than 2 hunts. I've had boots wear out prior to loosing their waterproof qualities. Take care of the boots as stated above and that will be your best chance.

yfarm

WKR
Simms G3 or G4 with the vibram sole and stocking foot hip waders or Simms wader pants. Coastal Alaskan guide go to combo

Andouille

Lil-Rokslider
Schnees Granite 200g served me well on an week-long Adak hunt trip where I crossed a lot of swampy terrain and several creeks daily, and the weather was too damp and cool to dry the boots when camping three consecutive nights. Water never made into the boot and the leather held up well with Nikwax treatment. These boots worked well but definitely require cleaning and treatment of the leather on a regular basis so that the leather doesn't become saturated, which makes for cold feet even if the inner waterproof liner is doing it's job.

My brother used Zamberlan Hunter Pro EVO GTX on the same trip with similar results.

I should note that both of our boots were relatively new (under 20 miles or so prior to trip) and we wore DexShell Merino waterproof-lined socks as insurance, but they were not necessary.

Reactions: prm
OP
prm

prm

WKR
Schnees Granite 200g served me well on an week-long Adak hunt trip where I crossed a lot of swampy terrain and several creeks daily, and the weather was too damp and cool to dry the boots when camping three consecutive nights. Water never made into the boot and the leather held up well with Nikwax treatment. These boots worked well but definitely require cleaning and treatment of the leather on a regular basis so that the leather doesn't become saturated, which makes for cold feet even if the inner waterproof liner is doing it's job.

My brother used Zamberlan Hunter Pro EVO GTX on the same trip with similar results.

I should note that both of our boots were relatively new (under 20 miles or so prior to trip) and we wore DexShell Merino waterproof-lined socks as insurance, but they were not necessary.
Perfect thanks. Those are the type of boots I'm looking into. I have some Crispi Guide GTX which are similar, but I need to replace for a larger size.

Macro

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been running in wet shoes for a few months now; I’m soaking them again nearly daily before they have a chance to dry. No blisters, no big deal. Saturday I hiked 20 miles with wet feet for 18 miles. No blisters, no big deal. Footwear combo is either Injinji socks with Altra Lone Peak 3.0 or no socks and New Balance Minimus V4.

OP
prm

prm

WKR
I like my Altras for hiking, but only in warmer temps and not a lot of weight. Hiking with a heavier pack in rockier areas I find I need a boot with a decent sole. The bottoms of my feet got pretty beat up on an elk hunt where I was hiking many miles on rocky trails. I forget which boot I was wearing, but I knew to wear something with more protection after that. At least for that rocky area.

Andouille

Lil-Rokslider
I'm trying not to laugh at the above two posts which ironically disregard the key words of "Alaska" and "hunting." As an avid hiker and backcountry hunter in Alaska I emphatically state that Altras are NOT the shoe the OP is asking about. Wet Alaskan terrain and any sort of a heavy pack are a recipe for a sprained (or worse) ankle, and shoes full of mud while in the backcountry. A stiff rand, lugged sole, and ankle support are paramount if you are any distance at all from your transportation. I would consider rubber Muck or Lacrosse boots or waders only if less than 2 miles or so from my car or boat.

I've worn Altras for years of trail running and light and fast day hikes in dry terrain, so I should have a good understanding of their limitations.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I'm trying not to laugh at the above two posts which ironically disregard the key words of "Alaska" and "hunting." As an avid hiker and backcountry hunter in Alaska I emphatically state that Altras are NOT the shoe the OP is asking about. Wet Alaskan terrain and any sort of a heavy pack are a recipe for a sprained (or worse) ankle, and shoes full of mud while in the backcountry. A stiff rand, lugged sole, and ankle support are paramount if you are any distance at all from your transportation. I would consider rubber Muck or Lacrosse boots or waders only if less than 2 miles or so from my car or boat.

I've worn Altras for years of trail running and light and fast day hikes in dry terrain, so I should have a good understanding of their limitations.
Altars are great!!!! For wearing at work or hitting the gym. As an actual outdoor shoe, that’s a hard pass.

Andouille

Lil-Rokslider
Perfect thanks. Those are the type of boots I'm looking into. I have some Crispi Guide GTX which are similar, but I need to replace for a larger size.
Crispi Guide GTX-type boots are what a lot of folks use for AK hunting. Add some good Goretex gaiters and you can stay pretty dry in wet terrain with water below your ankles, or occasional below-the-knee creek crossings. Additionally, you can pack some Wiggys Waders for deeper stream crossings or use Chota hippies (and just let your boots get saturated). Finding the correct waterproof hunting boot setup sometimes seems more challenging than the remaining logistics of a backcountry hunt :p

Reactions: prm

MThuntr

WKR
I didn't get to use them on my recent trip to POW but I have a pair of Hoffman Armor Pro 8" boots for wet conditions...they are much too warm for early season but work wonders for Spring bear hunts and mid to late season creek crossings.

You'll see a lot of guys using Wiggies or very likely changing into a pair of sandals/water shoes and even going in underwear

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gore-tex boot liners in my experience are waterproof to a point, but in long, sustained wet conditions they're going to wet out- simply as that.

I agree that an all leather boot, properly treated in combination with a gore liner is your best bet, even then it's very possible to end up with wet feet.

If I know there is going to be some stream fording ahead of me hunting, I'll bring a light pair of trail runners and don them (removing my boots/socks)

Agree that good gaiters help the cause.

OP
prm

prm

WKR
Pretty sure I’ll stick to a Guide GTX-like boot with something else for deep crossings. The Guide, Nevada and Briksdal all seem reasonable. I may avoid the Briksdal as I don’t think I’d ever want a boot stiffer than the Guides. Stick to the 3 flex rated boots.

To narrow it down, my real question are what other mountain suitable boot brands/models provide good water resistance over a few days? I agree with mtnwarden that about anything other than a rubber boot will wet out eventually. Certainly that is my experience. But they are not equal and interested who makes a boot to best deal with that.

Last edited:

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
If the wet happens to be snow (and it's a little colder), the pac boots from Schnees, Hoffmans do really well. Not your typical pac boots; I've hiked up to 15 miles in day with mine over some devilish country. Mine are 25 years old and still going strong (one resole). I have the tallest ones and negates the need for gaiters.

I seam seal the sticking where the rubber meets the leather and then thoroughly coat the leather with Schnees Pitch Blend and they stay dry (linings might get damp with sweat).

Again this is a "winter" conditions boot.

OP
prm

prm

WKR
If the wet happens to be snow (and it's a little colder), the pac boots from Schnees, Hoffmans do really well. Not your typical pac boots; I've hiked up to 15 miles in day with mine over some devilish country. Mine are 25 years old and still going strong (one resole). I have the tallest ones and negates the need for gaiters.

I seam seal the sticking where the rubber meets the leather and then thoroughly coat the leather with Schnees Pitch Blend and they stay dry (linings might get damp with sweat).

Again this is a "winter" conditions boot.

I do have Hoffman pacs. But they are so much larger, I wouldn’t want to hike in them unless it was really cold AND significant snow (as you stated). But there is no better way to stay warm than those!

Last edited:

wapitibob

WKR
I’m going the pack boot direction this year as soon as I find a brand that tapes the seam between rubber and leather.
I haven’t had a boot remain waterproof for more than a mile in wet grass out of more than a dozen brands/models.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've got a wet trip scheduled this year and I'm going to take synthetic boots with the hope that the waterproofing lasts as long as possible and that they'll dry faster than a leather boot. Any thoughts on my reasoning? I'm used to dealing with snow vs constant wet conditions.