Western Nebraska/Eastern Wyoming...Winter Time Activities

WildBoose

FNG
Headed to Eastern Wyoming first part of December to shoot some ducks. Driving from Ky.....Building in an extra travel day, what is there to do? See? Eat?

jmez

WKR
Scottsbluff area I assume? Really isn't much out there.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk

Dirtbag

WKR
Lived in Western Nebraska for quite awhile. You are on the right track with ducks. Waterfowl and coyote calling is about it.

Laramie

WKR
Prairie Rose in Laramie serves a great breakfast. They were on Diners, Dives, and Drive-ins recently. Green Chili smothered breakfast burrito is my recommendation. Pheasant hunting is decent in some of that area. Plenty of Bars to visit. If you are a single guy, your best pickup line is "I drive a U-Haul". Most women are dying to get out of those small towns lol.

jayhawk

WKR
You’re brave to make that drive in December. Weather can turn very bad very fast.

Fort Robinson, fort Laramie, and Museum of the Fur Trade, are all great places to visit

TaperPin

WKR
I spent 10 hrs Christmas Day right on the WY/NB border with a bad alternator, but it was -10, roads were icy, wind was blowing - a good time to hunker down and watch Rockford Files reruns. Had we not had sleeping bags as part of an emergency kit we definitely would have developed hyperthermia - even with help on the way, we were a lower priority after an accident in one direction and suicide in the other. Welcome to eastern Wyoming!

The craziest wreck on I80 has to be the giant pileup between Cheyenne and Laramie that burned a giant patch of the asphalt and a number of bodies were completely turned to ash - a judge had to declare the missing bodies dead.

The most memorable wreck has to be four horses standing sideways on the road, hit square in the middle by a semi - nothing but big pieces of disassembled horse all over the place. Driving through it was like a maze - go past the hind quarters of the big blackie, hard left and do a 180 around the neck of the appaloosa, then weave through the patch of large organs, and finally shoot the gap between the front and hind quarters of the brown horse.

If the weather is bad you’ll have a chance to watch people from warm states do the darnest things. 🙂

wytx

WKR
I spent 10 hrs Christmas Day right on the WY/NB border with a bad alternator, but it was -10, roads were icy, wind was blowing - a good time to hunker down and watch Rockford Files reruns. Had we not had sleeping bags as part of an emergency kit we definitely would have developed hyperthermia - even with help on the way, we were a lower priority after an accident in one direction and suicide in the other. Welcome to eastern Wyoming!

The craziest wreck on I80 has to be the giant pileup between Cheyenne and Laramie that burned a giant patch of the asphalt and a number of bodies were completely turned to ash - a judge had to declare the missing bodies dead.

The most memorable wreck has to be four horses standing sideways on the road, hit square in the middle by a semi - nothing but big pieces of disassembled horse all over the place. Driving through it was like a maze - go past the hind quarters of the big blackie, hard left and do a 180 around the neck of the appaloosa, then weave through the patch of large organs, and finally shoot the gap between the front and hind quarters of the brown horse.

If the weather is bad you’ll have a chance to watch people from warm states do the darnest things. 🙂
If you're talking about the Harriman pileup not quite what happened but close.

And he will not be driving from eastern Wyo to Laramie to eat a Jay's, at least I hope not.
17th St has good breakfast also.

Expect bad roads, cold weather and snow. Not much extra driving around I bet.
Hoping we're not frozen up by then, some years we get no waterfowl hunting due to freeze up.

Might be a neat drive into Sybille Canyon to see bighorns and and elk, Highway 34 from Wheatland.
Check into pheasant hunting also over there, East side.

TaperPin

WKR
If you're talking about the Harriman pileup not quite what happened but close.

And he will not be driving from eastern Wyo to Laramie to eat a Jay's, at least I hope not.
17th St has good breakfast also.

Expect bad roads, cold weather and snow. Not much extra driving around I bet.
Hoping we're not frozen up by then, some years we get no waterfowl hunting due to freeze up.

Might be a neat drive into Sybille Canyon to see bighorns and and elk, Highway 34 from Wheatland.
Check into pheasant hunting also over there, East side.
The crash I’m talking about is over a decade before the Harriman pileup in 2015.