Western hunters out east?

It seems there are about half and half on here. Half of us live in the mountains and half of us live in the east. What do you western guys think about hunting whitetails if you have ever done it?

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I've been down to Missouri twice to hunt whitetails. Its a fun relaxing what to winding the season. Fun for sure, but I won't be moving out of AK any time soon to do that more. My A.D.D. only allows for so much tree stand time. :D

Plenty of whitetails in E Wa. I've hunted them several times and found them to be an extremely difficult hunt. After still hunting them several times it's pretty apparent that patterning, trail cams and multiple tree stands is the way to hunt them. The biggest difference between wt.s v. muleys and bt's, from what I've seen, is that whitetails don't mess around. They get a whiff of you they just take off to the next county. Extremely skittish compared to muleys and bt's.

I still get a chuckle every time I watch one run off just like a dog :)

I love to hunt Whitetails! I grew up in WI, lived in KS and hunted several midwestern states every year for deer. However, ever since I moved to Idaho, I have litterally no urge to go back east to hunt them anymore! With that said, I have three points for Iowa and will be cashing them next fall. That will be my last trip back east for awhile, not counting family hunting vacations at our cabins in WI and MI, which I love to go to just for the comraderie with my family and friends, maybe even shoot a few deer :)

Whitetails litterally used to be my life. Year round, from food plots, scouting every night, shed hunting, hanging stands, getting permission, helping buddies, and finally hunting every chance I got from Sep - Jan. I still love hunting them, but the west has opened my eyes.

I think what I like most about them is that you can shoot a pile of them every year and you can hunt other states on the cheap, out west you usually only get one tag... And that is not enough to keep me enterained :) Last year I shot a doe in Sept in Idaho. While I was happy to take my first muley, shortly after I thought to myself, "heck my year is over and it's only SEP!!" So I went and bought a NR tag for 300$! It was worth it and I will likely do that again if I am ever in that situation.

Titaniumman

Lil-Rokslider
Montana has a good number of whitetails and good bucks. I guess hunting them here might be different than in the east due to the terrain but we do have some good river bottom hunting. Jackie Bushman, the Primos gang and many other "TV" spend some time here every year. My biggest problem is the oil boom has messed up having somewhere to stay where I like to go in eastern Montana. Dang it!

I have been heading out to Iowa and hunting my families farm the last few years. I usually go during 2nd shotgun season and do well. I love it, it is a great time and extends my season well into December. I will say this, Iowa brings a whole new meaning to the word COLD. I have been in cold weather here in Colorado, nothing like the humid cold winters in Iowa. Not to mention the huge bucks that inhabit the woods of Iowa.

JNDEER

WKR
I have hunted KS and GA. They are like ticks so sightings are usually high and the action is usually good all day. I enjoyed the flat land, easy walking and all day non-stop action.

shaun

WKR
I have yet to hunt them even though I have family that owns property in Illinois and Tennessee.

2rocky

WKR
Only killed one in Northern Idaho, and that was rattling. At this point I'm not going to give up a western hunt to go to the midwest for whitetails.

B

bearguide

i always put in for whitetail in wyoming b/c i can harvest two deer that way. i learned to love hunting whitetail while i was in school in omaha. i am planning a hunt this year to texas for wt b/c i can extend my season into dec-jan

hodgeman

WKR
I grew up hunting whitetails in E. TN...I can't say that I miss it much.

Much prefer the spot and stalk of the big mountains to endless hours in a ground blind or tree stand. If that's all I could then I'd do it, but I couldn't get too excited about it.

I would love to go back east and shoot a whitetail because I have never done it, but like others have said. I would not pass up a mulie/elk hunt to go chase after a whitetail. we have a few here in southern Idaho but with only 1 deer a year unless you buy a non res tag my tag will get stuck on a mulie every year.

ckleeves

WKR
I enjoy whitetail hunting me and a few friends go to western KS every year for a week of pheasant and whitetail hunting and then I usally make a few more trips out there for the birds later in the year. But hunting there is not really different than other western hunting. I have only done the whole treestand thing for whitetails for a week in Mississippi and enjoyed it also.

bobhunts

WKR
buying points for Iowa. One thing to do in my life. I live in Colorado hunt here and Wyoming and Oregon when I have time to go see my daughter and brother. Pronghorn in New Mexico is on my check list in the next five years. Going to Alaska for Moose next year so nothing at home but points. Got some private in Kansas to hunt but the dates are always conflicting with another hunt or work but I'll work that one in during the next few years.Bob

dotman

WKR
Nice thing about KS, one week I hunt WT and the next MD :) nice that I don't have to draw since a resident archery tag is good for either. I'm kind of leaning towards mainly hunting MD this year.