Western gear for white tails?

Hey guys! First post here. Have been reading tons of stuff on here through google searches to make purchasing decisions and figured I’d join. I want to buy stuff on the classifieds as well but have to make a certain amount of posts first. Well here goes one. I’m a southern whitetail hunter in Georgia and have always gravitated more towards western or mountain hunting gear as I am a pretty active bow hunter. However, I realize it is not ideal for tree stand hunting. I’m a run and gun tree stand public land hunter. The only struggle I have found with western gear is staying warm while sitting for hours at a time and also being quiet. What quiet “puffy” or insulated pieces is everyone wearing to stay warm in the stand and quiet, but also be able to stuff it in your pack and hike for long stretches? Thanks in advanced

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Randle

WKR
Welcome to Rokslide

I dont sit for long periods out here for whitetail
Sit til i get cold then move, its a great way to hunt Whiteys
and the ground and cover ground.
As far as s layer I use a light puff or a mil surplus field jacket liner under my wool or fleece oiter layer.

OP
archer1416
Welcome to Rokslide

I dont sit for long periods out here for whitetail
Sit til i get cold then move, its a great way to hunt Whiteys
and the ground and cover ground.
As far as s layer I use a light puff or a mil surplus field jacket liner under my wool or fleece oiter layer.

Thanks for the input. I should consider moving more probably. I always get nervous if I’ll be climbing down a tree and get busted haha

Randle

WKR
Half the fun is being on the ground and meet them on their terms. I dont archery hunt as much for whiteys as I do elk, so I stay on the ground and mobile.
If I bump them then I go after them . Its a rush when you get back on them.

OP
archer1416
Half the fun is being on the ground and meet them on their terms. I dont archery hunt as much for whiteys as I do elk, so I stay on the ground and mobile.
If I bump them then I go after them . Its a rush when you get back on them.

Haha I like your style. Westernizing whitetail hunting

Randle

WKR
I have killed a couple bucks on the ground with my bow.
I just find after a month of bow season chasing elk ,I am ready to reach out alittle bit and change weapons when hunting deer

OP
archer1416
I have killed a couple bucks on the ground with my bow.
I just find after a month of bow season chasing elk ,I am ready to reach out alittle bit and change weapons when hunting deer

I can understand that

Lowg08

WKR
I myself use 75% western gear. Mostly first lite. I like it and fits me. Big deviation I have is bibs and coat for late season. I wear the furnace base layers but outside of that. It’s corrugate/ catalyst foundry, zip off bases, Klamath and etc.

OP
archer1416
I myself use 75% western gear. Mostly first lite. I like it and fits me. Big deviation I have is bibs and coat for late season. I wear the furnace base layers but outside of that. It’s corrugate/ catalyst foundry, zip off bases, Klamath and etc.

I recently switched from first lite to Sitka and Kuiu and I still use first lite merino base layers. However I find Sitka (the few things that fit me) and Kuiu, to be of better construction. It’s all preference though and it’s all good. I have a similar layered system to you and use the Kuiu proximity pants and I had the jacket but it wasn’t 100% windproof which bothered me for the bulk of that jacket. Still a great jacket but if I’m going to lug that around it should be Windproof. So now I hike in in the proximity pants and FL fuse bottoms with the zippers unzipped a good ways on the proximity. I just wear a FL wick long sleeve and a Kuiu peloton 240 to walk in and then when I get to the stand I’ll add another layer up top. That’s what I’m stuck on right now is which puffy to pack in and wear in the stand. I’m not opposed to wearing a peloton 240 or a Kuiu axis hybrid soft shell over the puffy to quiet it down but I still want to start with the quietest puffy I can that still has the features and warmth I’m looking for. I’m torn between the stone glacier cirque, FL uncompaghre 2.0, and the Sitka Kelvin aerolite jacket or the Sitka Kelvin down lite or another down jacket. The Sitka Kelvin down lite is very loud from what I’ve been reading though. Idk if wearing a soft shell over would work with that one. The uncompaghre I’ve had before and it’s not that loud but it’s very baggy in the stomach area.

Lowg08

WKR
I recently switched from first lite to Sitka and Kuiu and I still use first lite merino base layers. However I find Sitka (the few things that fit me) and Kuiu, to be of better construction. It’s all preference though and it’s all good. I have a similar layered system to you and use the Kuiu proximity pants and I had the jacket but it wasn’t 100% windproof which bothered me for the bulk of that jacket. Still a great jacket but if I’m going to lug that around it should be Windproof. So now I hike in in the proximity pants and FL fuse bottoms with the zippers unzipped a good ways on the proximity. I just wear a FL wick long sleeve and a Kuiu peloton 240 to walk in and then when I get to the stand I’ll add another layer up top. That’s what I’m stuck on right now is which puffy to pack in and wear in the stand. I’m not opposed to wearing a peloton 240 or a Kuiu axis hybrid soft shell over the puffy to quiet it down but I still want to start with the quietest puffy I can that still has the features and warmth I’m looking for. I’m torn between the stone glacier cirque, FL uncompaghre 2.0, and the Sitka Kelvin aerolite jacket or the Sitka Kelvin down lite or another down jacket. The Sitka Kelvin down lite is very loud from what I’ve been reading though. Idk if wearing a soft shell over would work with that one. The uncompaghre I’ve had before and it’s not that loud but it’s very baggy in the stomach area.

I’ve never had any quality issues with my first lite. I have some of both. I’m actually getting ready to add the kenai set for mid season. I want to be able to hunt mid season out of my monster Fanny pack. Ill Use what ever is the best piece for the application. My problem is I have monkey arms and built like a silver back gorilla and fit can be an issue.

OP
archer1416
I’ve never had any quality issues with my first lite. I have some of both. I’m actually getting ready to add the kenai set for mid season. I want to be able to hunt mid season out of my monster Fanny pack. Ill Use what ever is the best piece for the application. My problem is I have monkey arms and built like a silver back gorilla and fit can be an issue.

Man I’m the same way! Tall with long torso and long arms but also very wide through the shoulders and chest. It makes it difficult to find stuff that fits in length and width without it being made for chubby guys haha I can’t stand a baggy stomach area on a jacket or shirt

Welcome. I hunt a lot of PA and NY hardwood forests and out west whenever possible. Our bow season starts October 1 which means I have 4-5 weeks of greenish foliage depending on the year. By November things are cold and for rifle and late bow it can be below freezing most days.

I mobile ambush and try to spot and stalk when I can. I run a mix of Sitka, First lite, kuiu and some old under armor and other real tree type camo. when I started doing more stand hunting I tried puffies under softshell jackets and pants. It works but it can feel like a bit of a squeeze And I think the puffies lose loft and warmth. So I started looking at dedicated whitetail gear from first lite and Sitka. the Sitka fanatic set gets high marks and their incinerator line is insanely warm but I felt like it was all super specialized for static deer stand hunting And it is $$$$. I opted for a set of first light solitude bibs and jacket for my long sits. they have been good to me into single digits with some layering and I have used them for a bit of duck hunting too.

I guess that is a long way of saying, you may want to consider a bib set.

additionally, one of my favorite pieces for out west and medium cold days is the Sitka cold weather traverse hoodie. They are on sale right now and I like them so much I bought an extra.

Lowg08

WKR
Man I’m the same way! Tall with long torso and long arms but also very wide through the shoulders and chest. It makes it difficult to find stuff that fits in length and width without it being made for chubby guys haha I can’t stand a baggy stomach area on a jacket or shirt

I hate baggy clothes. With wide shoulder and chest. It looks like a dang night gown hanging off. I think western clothing is labeled wrong. I swear most companies are way behind on whitetail gear with an athletic cut. It’s always been bubba and Busch light and big baggy overalls.

OP
archer1416
Welcome. I hunt a lot of PA and NY hardwood forests and out west whenever possible. Our bow season starts October 1 which means I have 4-5 weeks of greenish foliage depending on the year. By November things are cold and for rifle and late bow it can be below freezing most days.

I mobile ambush and try to spot and stalk when I can. I run a mix of Sitka, First lite, kuiu and some old under armor and other real tree type camo. when I started doing more stand hunting I tried puffies under softshell jackets and pants. It works but it can feel like a bit of a squeeze And I think the puffies lose loft and warmth. So I started looking at dedicated whitetail gear from first lite and Sitka. the Sitka fanatic set gets high marks and their incinerator line is insanely warm but I felt like it was all super specialized for static deer stand hunting And it is $$$$. I opted for a set of first light solitude bibs and jacket for my long sits. they have been good to me into single digits with some layering and I have used them for a bit of duck hunting too.

I guess that is a long way of saying, you may want to consider a bib set.

additionally, one of my favorite pieces for out west and medium cold days is the Sitka cold weather traverse hoodie. They are on sale right now and I like them so much I bought an extra.

Thanks for the input! I definitely agree that dedicated whitetail stuff like the fanatic and solitude are the best for that application. However, I think if I use a synthetic puffy (doesn’t matter as much if it’s compressed) and a Kuiu axis (basically windproof) over top, it should be good enough for our Georgia 20s and 30s temps in the late season. I may be wrong though. We will see haha.

OP
archer1416
I hate baggy clothes. With wide shoulder and chest. It looks like a dang night gown hanging off. I think western clothing is labeled wrong. I swear most companies are way behind on whitetail gear with an athletic cut. It’s always been bubba and Busch light and big baggy overalls.

You’re right on the money. Not everyone drinks a 12 pack at night and walks 100 yds to a box blind or permanent stand haha I like getting out there and pushing myself. It’s the only way I’ve found success on the highly pressured Georgia public land where everyone and their brother seems to hunt.

OP
archer1416
Also if anyone has any feedback on the first lite uncompaghre 2.0 vs the stone glacier cirque please throw that in. Im looking for a used cirque in 2xl right now but if I can't find one Im leaning towards the unc

OP
archer1416
I know where you are. I’ve often considered trying in rabun or habersham. Just never got around to it

I went to high school junior year in Habersham. It’s beautiful country over there. I’d rather live there but I bought a house in hartwell so oh well haha