West Texas Switchlug

I kicked around the idea of putting together a WTO switchlug setup for about two years. After reading everything I could find and talking to guys on here I pulled the trigger at the end of January. I had WTO do all the work. I went with a tikka action, two matching PBB 20” barrels, one in 22cm and the other in 6cm, a trijicon credo 2.5-15, UM rings, and it’s sitting in a Rokstok.

So far I am very happy with it. The 6cm has been consistently around .75 moa for 10 shots. I have shot 5, taken the barrel off/put it back on, and shot 5 more, on 3 occasions and had it be within the cone/zero of this barrel. I shot 5, took the barrel off, put it on and shot at 4/5/700 something, spun the turret back down, took the barrel off and on, and shot 4 more rounds, all right in the first 5. I don’t have as much data with the 22cm cause it took longer to find a load for the 88’s.

The only downfall is re zeroing for each barrel but if you keep good records it’s pretty simple. So far when my 22cm barrel is zeroed the 6cm barrel is around 5 moa low and 2 moa right. Now that my 22cm load is finalized I’ll be able to test this more and lock in the exact numbers.

Last thing. If you send in a new Tikka just know that some times the original barrel might not be able to be retrofit to work with the switchlug setup. I sent in a brand new 7mag in hopes of having the 22/6cm and a 7mag but the 7 was a no go. Not the end of the world but definitely something to keep in mind. I’ll 100% be adding more barrels to this setup.

Any question's fire away and I’ll do my best to answer them.
IMG_5598.jpeg
IMG_5343.jpegIMG_5344.jpegIMG_5478.jpegIMG_5746.jpeg

TaperPin

WKR
That’s really cool! I’ve never thought of checking how close the point of impact returns to zero after unscrewing the barrel and replacing it.

I’ve been collecting calibers pretty quickly to this point, but now different barrel profiles in longer and super short lengths have been catching my eye. Lol

OP
david2duck
That’s really cool! I’ve never thought of checking how close the point of impact returns to zero after unscrewing the barrel and replacing it.

I’ve been collecting calibers pretty quickly to this point, but now different barrel profiles in longer and super short lengths have been catching my eye. Lol
I had read where it’s supposed to be within 1/2 moa after taking a barrel off and on. I wanted to test it to see myself, plus I feel like it’s important if anyone is going to be shooting longer distances. So far, I haven’t needed to move the scope a single click. Definitely need a bigger sample size to be positive but it’s looking very promising so far.

have you drop tested it? I dont know if it is a problem with the WTO system, but I know that the mausingfeild quick change system did not hold zero with side impacts.

OP
david2duck
With future barrels do you have to send your action in again or can they make you a prefit properly headspaced?
I’ll get an exact answer from WTO but I don’t believe so. They have all the info on my setup and should be able to get it to headspace correctly without.

TaperPin

WKR
I had read where it’s supposed to be within 1/2 moa after taking a barrel off and on. I wanted to test it to see myself, plus I feel like it’s important if anyone is going to be shooting longer distances. So far, I haven’t needed to move the scope a single click. Definitely need a bigger sample size to be positive but it’s looking very promising so far.
After thinking about it a bit, since I tend to swap scopes with the barrel, and take the action out of the stock to change barrels, it’s safe to assume those change enough to need a new zero. That’s super cool yours returns so well. How much torque is used when putting the barrel back on?

OP
david2duck
After thinking about it a bit, since I tend to swap scopes with the barrel, and take the action out of the stock to change barrels, it’s safe to assume those change enough to need a new zero. That’s super cool yours returns so well. How much torque is used when putting the barrel back on?
30 inch pounds

OP
david2duck
Already posted this in the 22cm thread. This barrel is really starting to come together in the last 30+ rounds.

• Wow
Reactions: NSI