Well sheeeet....

Well I've been prepping my Kimber Montana all summer, new scope, suppressor, load development... It was off at range today so I figured I'd strip her down and remount everything. Found this hairline crack in stock when I got home. One week until my mule deer trip. I'm guessing this isn't fixable right?

20240929_155153.jpg

Wyo_hntr

WKR
I see two cracks. That's a bummer man.

Don't feel bad or alone. I too played the kimber roulette and lost.

SloppyJ

WKR
Maybe the bottom metal has a bit of interference on the stock and when it gets cranked down it split. I'd put some JB weld on the dude and roll. Does it shoot well? If the answer is yes, send it.

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
On a hunt that I had planned for all summer, I would worry about that breaking in the field.

You could sand, overlay with a few layers of fiberglass on the outside, then use it. I bet Kimber refuses to warranty it if you do that though.

Other option is go get a new rifle as Kimber will not have you a stock soon enough, and even if they did it might need to be bedded. Either way, you need to decide now if you want to be hunting in a week.

Thegman

WKR
Take a look at my posts on this thread. Epoxy alone probably won't work. Start with my post a couple up from this.

Last edited:
Hopefully you have another rifle you were using prior to this one. I would not depend on that in the woods. Well… I would depend on it to break…..

Kyguy

FNG
If it's just the paint, don't worry about it. Pull the action out and see if it's cracked on the inside?

TaperPin

WKR
Fiberglass/carbon fiber stocks are pretty strong - has the rifle had rough treatment? If the stock has pressure applied, do the cracks move? If not, my assumption would be the cracks are from shrinkage of the outer coat of filler and or epoxy/polyester and aren’t structural. Polyester shrinks much more than epoxy and cheap polyester filler can be hard and brittle.