Weird diagonal grouping. Reduced loads. Tikka 300wsm

Well, before my Rokslide education I thought I needed a big gun to kill elk. I've since come to appreciate low recoil, spotting impacts, etc. I also enjoy reloading and shooting.
Are the bullets you are using going to perform on animals at reduced velocity?

OP
Jimbee

Jimbee

WKR
Are the bullets you are using going to perform on animals at reduced velocity?
I believe so, I'm just in the process of figuring out how much recoil I will have to keep the bullets above 1800fps at 400 yards. Maybe I'm just wasting time, but it keeps me out of the bar.

RadDad

Lil-Rokslider
I believe so, I'm just in the process of figuring out how much recoil I will have to keep the bullets above 1800fps at 400 yards. Maybe I'm just wasting time, but it keeps me out of the bar.
I like it. This is part of the fun of reloading.

Do you have a Chronograph? That may offer some data to help rule out any issues with the load.

- RadDad

OP
Jimbee

Jimbee

WKR
I like it. This is part of the fun of reloading.

Do you have a Chronograph? That may offer some data to help rule out any issues with the load.

- RadDad
Yes, it's a magnetospeed and kind of a pita to attach to a suppressor but I make it work. Hopefully I can get a velocity reading this evening.

RadDad

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, it's a magnetospeed and kind of a pita to attach to a suppressor but I make it work. Hopefully I can get a velocity reading this evening.
I have one as well and feel your pain. Looking forward to the results.

- RadDad

When I read your original post, I saw 175 Smk not tmk......

This isn't going to be any help, but just letting you know someone else feels your pain - sort of. I have a 2001-ish 300wsm A-bolt that throws factory ammo (Federal Fusion 165gr) that way diagonally. If I let the barrel cool and start over, the bullet holes nearly each other. First shot dead on every time. Was trying to work a handload up and it started showing major pressure signs really quick (cracked case) less than halfway between mid and max load using RL19 and 165 TSX's. I'm thinking there's a throat issue going on, and am debating on whether or not to just buy a new one, or take this to a good gunsmith. If you figure this out for yours, please keep us updated.

OP
Jimbee

Jimbee

WKR
This isn't going to be any help, but just letting you know someone else feels your pain - sort of. I have a 2001-ish 300wsm A-bolt that throws factory ammo (Federal Fusion 165gr) that way diagonally. If I let the barrel cool and start over, the bullet holes nearly each other. First shot dead on every time. Was trying to work a handload up and it started showing major pressure signs really quick (cracked case) less than halfway between mid and max load using RL19 and 165 TSX's. I'm thinking there's a throat issue going on, and am debating on whether or not to just buy a new one, or take this to a good gunsmith. If you figure this out for yours, please keep us updated.
I believe my groups were a result of slow factory twist (11), slow velocity and poor form. I now have a reduced load that shoots just fine out of a custom 9 twist prefit. I seem to shot much better prone than off a janky wooden bench. I am also figuring out that more recoil makes groups open up for me.

I believe my groups were a result of slow factory twist (11), slow velocity and poor form. I now have a reduced load that shoots just fine out of a custom 9 twist prefit. I seem to shot much better prone than off a janky wooden bench. I am also figuring out that more recoil makes groups open up for me.
Glad you got it worked out. Thanks for the update.