Weightlifting coaching

JStol5

WKR
Yah, *zap* this is a great point that is often missed. You need to define “fitness” for yourself. Rippetoe makes an argument for strength being the end-all-be-all. He’s getting up there in age (maybe 60??) and can still deadlift 600, and regularly squats 500. He is self admittedly fluffy but he also argues that having some excess BF% is not a bad thing.

Me personally, I take what anyone says with a grain of salt and run it through my own judgement and set of goals. Strength is not the only goal I have, and I suspect all others on RK would agree that climbing the mountain for days on end is just as important. But I also can’t argue that being strong makes one better in all areas. I recommend starting with getting measurably stronger and then adding in the conditioning and other things to meet your own goals.

JStol5, glad you got the book. Read it. Pay attention to the definition of a novice and the linear progression that is laid out. I did a NLP in my mid 40s and got to be the strongest I’ve even been, and I was a collegiate athlete. I stopped doing any formal training a few years after that because of a divorce and then covid. At the beginning of this year I’ve started a NLP progression again, I’m 52 and I’m progressing on the program exactly as written and the results are exactly as predicted. The program works and is THE best way to put on measurable strength in a relatively short time.

Appreciate the response, I'm excited to get it. I have chronic tightness though and my goal is to get stronger without hurting myself, hence the dedicated yoga/mobility work.

*zap*

WKR
if you cannot do the basic stretches for hams, quads and hip flexors then you need to work on that. there is certainly lots more than the basics but they are a good way to self evaluate. Don't forget dead hangs and active hangs...they can be a game changer for upper body strength and mental toughness.

Last edited:
I'm a fan of incorporating body weight exercises along with my strength training sessions. Doing full stretch pullups/chinups, dips, air squats to full ATG, pushups between chairs, and hanging inverted rows. These help in extending my ROM and have kept me from injuries as well as helped my strengths grow. At 62 years old I'm still ego lifting and utilize primarily a full body circuit training 4-5 days a week. The 5x5 plan has been my go to regimen on allll lifts not only the compounds and on occasion I switch to lighter weights and do a 20 rep. program or a to failure workout. Changing up my workouts has not only helped my strength but also muscle stamina.

LostArra

WKR
Just to be clear for those who haven't read the book, Starting Strength is not about 1RM or powerlifting or body building or strongman competition. It is about the average Joe or Josephine or their grandparents just getting stronger by weight training not exercising.

Rip comes across as an old Boomer curmudgeon which is partly just an act but he knows how to make regular people strong.

Loper

WKR
I just read this thread as I realized in the last mo th or so that im not getting much stronger and my workouts are beginning to be a little stale. I’ve never heard of Starting Strength but I did notice a gym by that name show up in the last six months in a plaza we frequent. It’s VERY small and I just assumed it was for overweight people who’ve never been in a gym before. However you guys give it a lot more credibility than what I assumed it was. I may actually check out the gym now just to change it up and get in a proven program that may help me gain strength.

JStol5

WKR
Update- I picked up Starting Strength and have been working on getting my form dialed before jumping into the programming. It has been an incredible, incredible resource. I cannot thank this thread enough for helping me get the awareness of it. I've wanted to get stronger for a while but have never known exactly where to start.

I used to have such poor lower back and leg strength that I could barely squat or deadlift more than a 53lb kettlebell, and historically had several injuries due to improper barbell lifting.

Now, in a few weeks, I've significantly increased my capacity for barbell deadlifting and squatting, without getting hurt, and feel much stronger. I keep the book with me in the gym to reference it and it has been great. It gave me more structure in my lifting and exercise routine and has been an invaluable resource. Cannot recommend it highly enough.

BBob

WKR
Update- I picked up Starting Strength and have been working on getting my form dialed before jumping into the programming.
👍 Once you get your form down you can jump into something like Wendler’s 5/3/1 programming. Some of his stuff (books) I find pretty scattered but once you figure it out it’s pretty simple. He’s got lots of suggestions for auxiliary lifts to supplement the main. Because I’m impatient, lazy and want stuff over as quick as possible I tend to do the Boring but Big because it’s generally a shorter workout. There are online and app calculators to calculate and create the plan so it’s pretty easy. Same goes for other programming plans. Pick one and go!

Figure out a good pre lift warm up routine too. My pre lift warm up is the Agile 8, 10 on the stationary bike and mby some medicine ball throws. Then on into warming up with the bar.

OP
B

bbell

WKR
Nice work JStol5!

I was just thinking of giving an update as well. Last couple workouts:
Body weight- 86kg
Squats- 120kg
Deadlift- 130kg
Bench- 88.5kg
Press- 47.5kg
Clean- 62.5kg

Been really happy with the progress. Starting to slow down a bit so may be switching to intermediate on a couple lifts soon.
Enjoy getting stronger!