Weekend Scouting Trip

Went on a 3 day hike and covered about 13 miles last weekend. I was in the OTC unit I will be elk hunting this fall.

This picture was taken from the door of the Sawtooth! Thats a exciting start to day two!

Overall, we were in elk most of the weekend. Can not wait on September to get here!

OP
sanchomaes
This tough little 12 year old was my scouting partner for the weekend! This was his first big hiking trip and he did very well. Proud of him making the 13 miles in total and carrying all of his own supplies to be self sufficient! We went 6.5 miles on Sunday and 6 of the 6.5 was above 11,000 ft. it was a pretty tough hike but he handled it well.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Very cool! Looks like you have a great hunting partner in the making right there....

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
X2 nothing better than finding quality bulls on a scouting execpt having along your kids a trip niether of you will soon forget

OP
sanchomaes
I had to talk him up a few climbs but he did well overall. We had a 1,100 ft elevation gain right off the first day! He is my friends son but I look after him like he is mine...

lintond

WKR
Very cool of you to mentor somebody else's kid and show them the ropes. Two thumbs up! :cool:

Looks like a great time! Great that you are taking the time to mentor a young guy like that. Wish I would have had someone to teach me the ropes, intead of learning it all the hard way! Pass on our great traditions

shaun

WKR
Looks like a killer trip man! Was hoping to sneak over there this year to scout but wasn't able to make it happen.

bz_711

WKR
Love posts like this! Especially for us stuck here in the cornfields of IL - Elk scouting is not an option until my kids are old enough to carry there own packs/supplies.

Kuddos for getting the young man involved - kids do not get enough outdoor adventure these days - We all need to get more kids out!

I can not wait until I can take my own boys with me, it sure will make it easier to get permission from the wife. Can you tell me what pack the boy has? I will be looking in the next 5 years to get something from my son when he turns 11.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome!

I took Bitterroot Spike with me last weekend as well. Kids and scouting are a great combo.