WeBoost Drive OTR test?

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
How far towards the back is the outside antenna installed? Inside antenna stuck on the side of the console with wide flats facing horizontally towards the doors?
Like this

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 39
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    384.3 KB · Views: 38
OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Id say thats your issue. See how the flat surface on the inside antenna is pointing up towards the outside one. Move the external as far back as you can and try mounting the inside one on the side of the console so its facing in a different plane. The signal of the 2 antenna can cancel each other out
That’s lame. I’m certainly not doubting you, but nowhere in the instructions does it mention antenna placement being so specific. Or planes, or bla bla bla. Just says get internal and external apart. The stupid thing shouldn’t be so particular.

I’ll try your suggestions and will report back.

Gonna have to find a different place than the drivers side of the center console though. That’s where my truck gun rides.

That’s lame. I’m certainly not doubting you, but nowhere in the instructions does it mention antenna placement being so specific. Or planes, or bla bla bla. Just says get internal and external apart. The stupid thing shouldn’t be so particular.

Gonna have to find a different place than the drivers side of the center console though. That’s where my truck gun rides.
It was in the instructions for mine, as well as covered on some YouTube videos I watched. It states they have to be at least 6' apart horizontally or something like that. I couldn't find any decent locations so ended up mounting mine in the tie down port all the way back by the tailgate (I have the OTR antenna). I stuck the internal antenna to my dash facing me.

Remington92

Lil-Rokslider

No problem and hopefully that fixes your issues. When they're working they're the cats ass. I keep trying to get my current employer to buy them for our rigs in the name of "safety".

Thats why I could never get them to work on Deere gators for ranchers; could never get the antenna far enough away or faced differently to not fight each other. I guess they figure on semi or most crew cab pickups its not an issue. Never dealt with the models with the shark fin outside antenna to know if they're less sensitive or anything.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Id say thats your issue. See how the flat surface on the inside antenna is pointing up towards the outside one. Move the external as far back as you can and try mounting the inside one on the side of the console so its facing in a different plane. The signal of the 2 antenna can cancel each other out
Also, if I move the antenna towards the back of the rack, now it’s closer to the AM/FM stereo antenna. Isn’t that bad?

Remington92

Lil-Rokslider
Also, if I move the antenna towards the back of the rack, now it’s closer to the AM/FM stereo antenna. Isn’t that bad?
That I cant give you a good answer on as I've never mounted them near each other. If I had to guess I'd say different frequency's and wouldn't be an issue. Just speaking from other experience deere put business band 2 way radio, am/fm, cell signal, and wifi antenna all on the roof within inches to feet of each other and no cross signal issues

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Well I just moved the external antenna to the back of the rack. And moved the internal antenna to the vertical surface of the center console by the shifter. I can’t get them any more further apart. Zero difference. Cannot tell one bit of improvement with the thing on vs off.

Drove around the hood to some spots where I know signal is week. Switched the thing on and off. Did a bunch of those speed tests with it on and with it off.

This thing is a turd. I’ll spend some more time with it before I give up, but it sure feels like I got taken with a gimmick. At least I look cool with the overlanding cool kids.

Last edited:

Raider4044

Lil-Rokslider
Well I just moved the external antenna to the back of the rack. And moved the internal antenna to the vertical surface of the center console by the shifter. I can’t get them any more further apart.

Drove around the hood to some spots where I know signal is week. Switched the thing on and off. Did a bunch of those speed tests with it on and with it off.

This thing is a turd. I’ll spend some more time with it before I give up, but it sure feels like I got taken with a gimmick. At least I look cool with the overlanding cool kids.

When you turn it on, does the light on the box flash red and green? If so, that means there is signal interference between the two antennas. You might’ve gotten a bad unit, but they are certainly not a gimmick. They’re worth their weight in gold for me in West Texas. Nearly every oilfield vehicle you see around here has one.

I will add that in areas where you already have decent service, it doesn’t seem to help as much as it does in low service areas IME.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
When you turn it on, does the light on the box flash red and green? If so, that means there is signal interference between the two antennas. You might’ve gotten a bad unit, but they are certainly not a gimmick. They’re worth their weight in gold for me in West Texas. Nearly every oilfield vehicle you see around here has one.

I will add that in areas where you already have decent service, it doesn’t seem to help as much as it does in low service areas IME.
No. The light just goes straight to green.

I’ll spend some more time with it, but there should be an easy way to test it. It shouldn’t be this hard.

Raider4044

Lil-Rokslider
No. The light just goes straight to green.

I’ll spend some more time with it, but there should be an easy way to test it. It shouldn’t be this hard.

If it goes straight to a solid green then it’s supposedly working properly. Sounds like you might’ve gotten a bad unit.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Wilson said they’d do a return. Fingers crossed for better results with #2.

Remington92

Lil-Rokslider
Damn that sucks. Let us know how the replacement works. Once you get used to having a good one it'll be tough to ever be without it again.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
UPDATE: Got a replacement WeBoost Drive unit. This new one actually works! Huge difference and it’s obvious. Also obvious the old one was defective. Happy camper now.

nphunter

WKR
These things work awesome in areas that have poor service, I can take work calls and not drop in areas I've always dropped calls. Also when hunting areas like NV or other areas with poor signal they are awesome. I pulled mine out of the truck last year in NV on an antelope hunt and put it in the tent plugged into my jumper box. Without the weboost we couldn't even make a phone call only text slowly, after putting the antenna in the tent we could use the internet and had great phone service.

nphunter

WKR
I just posted a brand new in the box Weboost Drive Reach in the classifieds. I already am using these in two of my vehicles and don't need this one.

Dented

WKR
Does the weboost use a standard coax cable to connect the antenna or is it something special?