WeBoost Drive OTR test?

SDHNTR

WKR
How do I know if this thing is working at all? I can’t tell a difference one bit. $600 paperweight? I never see bars increase. I’ll get to a spot where I have say 2 bars and will switch it on, nothing changes. I’ve even gone through the signal strength tests and the rsrp (whatever the heck that is) number never changes either, off vs on. Green light on thingamajig is on, what gives. FYI: I hate this kind of crap. I like tech when it works, but have zero interest in tinkering or downloading apps or bells and whistles, I just want the utility of a stronger signal. WeBoost customer service not very helpful. Hard to trust that it’s working when I’ve seen zero affirming evidence. Those of you that have this thing, how do you know it’s working?

Westernduck

Lil-Rokslider
Following. I recently got the drive reach flex fleet but I’m having similar concerns. I need to spend more time testing it though

GotDraw?

WKR
My brother has it and it definitely works. Not sure how to test/ensure that it is functional/optimized, but when he was stationed in the Navajo Nation it added tremendous range and reduced dropped calls.

JL

GotDraw?

WKR
Seems to me that you're best served asking WeBoost Tech support how to test/ensure proper installation/performance. They have no doubt done this many times.

Good review here: WE BOOST REVIEW

JL

Last edited:

FOS373

Lil-Rokslider
My experience - I have one sitting on the bench in the garage. Could never tell any difference in reception.

elkivory

FNG
I sent one back, no signal improvement at Pagosa Springs, Colorado house. I use wifi calling with ATT when I'm there. I do see various cellular antennas on other houses there, so I guess they work for some.

I hooked one to a Milwaukee drill battery and used in the ground blind antelope hunting. Worked well. You need to go to airplane mode after activating it seems. Signal bars don't necessarily show up but texts and internet definitely worked in my case.

Raider4044

Lil-Rokslider
When it comes to adding bars, sometimes I’ll gain three bars and sometimes it doesn’t add any, but mine makes a significant difference regardless. I used to drop calls all the time, now it very rarely happens. Make sure your antenna is clear of the cab and as far away from the interior antenna as you can get it.

Here’s what a speed test showed on mine with the booster on, then off.

967f010dcc03e6badf6a686a4419ddbc.jpg

45723135efbbaf1a28af5f1d8b434c4f.jpg

Ebby

WKR
Not sure if WeBoost is the same as some of the others but your phone has to be pretty close to the internal antenna. Like within 12-18" or it won't help. Holding your phone in your hand and making a call agaianst your ear usually won't get any improvement. Setting your phone near the antenna and making a bluetooth call works great though. At least that was my experience with a couple of other brands.

Lee

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
When it comes to adding bars, sometimes I’ll gain three bars and sometimes it doesn’t add any, but mine makes a significant difference regardless. I used to drop calls all the time, now it very rarely happens. Make sure your antenna is clear of the cab and as far away from the interior antenna as you can get it.

Here’s what a speed test showed on mine with the booster on, then off.

967f010dcc03e6badf6a686a4419ddbc.jpg

45723135efbbaf1a28af5f1d8b434c4f.jpg
How do you do this?

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Seems to me that you're best served asking WeBoost Tech support how to test/ensure proper installation/performance. They have no doubt done this many times.

Good review here: WE BOOST REVIEW

JL
I did. Read OP. Waste of time. They said don’t use our app, it’s glitchy. Don’t use the iPhone test mentioned on our app, it doesn’t work. It should just be obvious that your signal is stronger when you turn it on. The conversation definitely did not inspire confidence.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Just did the speed test thing 6-8 times. No conclusions. Sometimes it gave faster readings with booster on, sometimes faster readings with booster off. Totally random. Frustrating.

If you never had service it won’t gain you any, however if you live in a lot of 1-2 bar areas(not 4g) then you’ll see a more stable signal and usually won’t drop

Remington92

Lil-Rokslider
Do the new weboosts still have the garbage friction push to connect connections?

I used to work for a Deere dealership doing tech field support in remote MT and my weboost otr (black box booster) with thread connections was a god send. You did have to have your phone fairly close to the internal antenna for best results (bluetooth calls like mentioned above) . We even installed them on Deere machines since the factory modem relies on ATT who had zero signal in a lot of areas. There's also a recommended distance the internal and external antenna have to be from each other and the flat surface of the internal antenna should not face towards the external antenna. We couldn't put them on side by sides because you couldn't get the antennas far enough away from each other

That all being said the last few I installed of the new red box booster style had push on connections and they were absolute junk! If you looked at them wrong they would come loose and fall off.

I installed a couple of dozen of them over the years in combines, sprayers, tractors etc and they all worked great when setup correctly.

Setup matters. The exterior antenna needs to be a decent distance from the interior antenna. And they can’t be in sight of each other.

Phone needs to be close to the interior antenna. Like touching it.

And after you kick it on turn your service off then back on, on your phone.

I go from nothing to 4G with a booster. I have also had them installed wrong and they don’t seem to help.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
It’s installed on a Toyota 4Runner with a roof rack. Antenna is mounted to rack and sticks up 18”+ higher over anything else.

Internal antenna is stuck to center console by cup holders.

Booster unit is under driver seat. All connections are screwed in and tight.

Anything wrong with setup?

I've got my antenna mounted all the way at the rear of my truck bed. When I switch it on my phone will go from 2 bars to full strong signal. At that point usually I can't seem to get any data to load, basic web pages, etc. Turn it off and everything starts working fine again. I plan to do some more testing before giving up.

Remington92

Lil-Rokslider
It’s installed on a Toyota 4Runner with a roof rack. Antenna is mounted to rack and sticks up 18”+ higher over anything else.

Internal antenna is stuck to center console by cup holders.

Booster unit is under driver seat. All connections are screwed in and tight.

Anything wrong with setup?
How far towards the back is the outside antenna installed? Inside antenna stuck on the side of the console with wide flats facing horizontally towards the doors?