Weaver grandslam 4.75x40

Waterboy

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have info on the grandslam scope made by weaver? I bought one at a yard sale and I’m pleasantly surprised at the view through it. I know it was made in Japan. Not sure what the value is for it new or used. Curious about the durability and wonder when the line was produced. It has Rocky Mountain elk caps on it if that makes a difference idk.

wekilldeer

Lil-Rokslider
i have the 6.5-20 version. Very nice scope for what i paid. When I bought it years ago it was regarded as a high value scope. i still like it and have had zero durability issues.

Grand Slams are very good scopes. They had a reputation for having solid internals, but that was before current durability testing methods saw widespread use, so they may have sucked and the owners never knew it.

KU_Geo

WKR
They are good scopes. I had a 4.75x that I had on a tikka. Used and abused it for 3 years. I took several falls with it and it never lost zero. Eventually sold it on the rifle to a friend who needed starter kit for their kid. Always thought they had good glass.

OP
Waterboy

Waterboy

Lil-Rokslider
They are good scopes. I had a 4.75x that I had on a tikka. Used and abused it for 3 years. I took several falls with it and it never lost zero. Eventually sold it on the rifle to a friend who needed starter kit for their kid. Always thought they had good glass.
I like how bright it is. I think I may have the same plan as your friend. I’ve never really thought about a fixed power scope on a hunting rifle and I’m not sure why. Hell I keep all my scopes on the lowest power when hunting. I’ve heard weaver made good scopes but I’ve never handled one. I’d say that I think I made out like a bandit buying it for $10.

KenLee

WKR
I bought one new back about 2000-2001.
I thought it was good glass, but eye relief was too short for the 45-70 I bought it for.
I think it eventually left riding on a 30-30.

OP
Waterboy

Waterboy

Lil-Rokslider
I bought one new back about 2000-2001.
I thought it was good glass, but eye relief was too short for the 45-70 I bought it for.
I think it eventually left riding on a 30-30.
I agree. Scope isn’t mounted but I’ve played with it a few times. Eye relief is kinda short.

OP
Waterboy

Waterboy

Lil-Rokslider
i have the 6.5-20 version. Very nice scope for what i paid. When I bought it years ago it was regarded as a high value scope. i still like it and have had zero durability issues.
Is the eye relief short on the variable you have?

kurtiss00

FNG
Anyone have info on the grandslam scope made by weaver? I bought one at a yard sale and I’m pleasantly surprised at the view through it. I know it was made in Japan. Not sure what the value is for it new or used. Curious about the durability and wonder when the line was produced. It has Rocky Mountain elk caps on it if that makes a difference idk.
I have one on my 270 for around 20 years, has yet to fail me.

kurtiss00

FNG
I like how bright it is. I think I may have the same plan as your friend. I’ve never really thought about a fixed power scope on a hunting rifle and I’m not sure why. Hell I keep all my scopes on the lowest power when hunting. I’ve heard weaver made good scopes but I’ve never handled one. I’d say that I think I made out like a bandit buying it for $10.
10 dollars is a steal.

OP
Waterboy

Waterboy

Lil-Rokslider
I thought so too. I saw Japan and heard $10 and I was sold.

OP
Waterboy

Waterboy

Lil-Rokslider
So I got it back out and I think the eye relief might be fine but the eye box is a little small.

Shepman

FNG
I had some grand slams when they blew them out on clearance and was satisfied with the glass.

Crusader

WKR
Not sure if my model (magnification) is really relevant to you but about 10 years ago I bought a 3-15x50 model from Natchez when they were supposedly closing them out. Bought it for my Savage 10ML-II muzzleloader stainless model; the scope is silver finish and looks great. More importantly, it has performed great. Very clear, bright glass in low light conditions. Two weeks ago I used this rig to harvest two whitetail does at the end of the day during our ML season here in MO.

I have a 4.75 GS. Great scope. Very rugged. About as lightweight as you can get in a reliable scope, IME. I had 2 at one time and regret selling.

Unfortunately, mine doesn't see much use these days; anything I'd put it on pretty much gets a 6X SWFA. If the GS had a measuring reticle I'd carry it often. Not that I couldn't do a vast majority of my hunting with the 4.75 and not feel too slighted, but nice to have a reticle with which you can do something.

Just the same, I'll likely never sell mine. Never know when the urge to put together the ultimate LW rig will strike. Until then mine rides on a rig for younger hunters. Don't have to worry about having the power cranked up at the wrong time and I know it'll handle any accidental drops and rough handling they can dish out.