Weatherby Backcountry Guide

bluedrew2

FNG
Not sure who has seen it, but Weatherby just released a new rifle. Mk V action, carbon fiber barrel, carbon fiber stock, fluted bolt handle, fluted bolt, 2 spartan adaptors inset in the stock, barrel supposed to be shorter than other models threaded with a break. Honestly, it checks a lot of my boxes, and is light which is never bad unless you're shooting a lot and packing a little.

I have a MK V 6 lug synthetic model in 25-06 that I was looking at doing almost this exact build on. It seems like Weatherby is listening to the populous and I think it'll be a solid rifle. I am looking at getting a peak 44 stock early next year for mine, keep the bolt as its, likely keep the barrel as is for now or maybe get it threaded so I can run a suppressor (also high on the list for end of the year purchases). Anything you would do different?

-Drew

It seems like Weatherby is listening to the populous and I think it'll be a solid rifle.
Take an already stiff bolt lift (because 54 degrees) and heavy action (because pretend its 1960 and we need 9 lugs for the pressure) and make it less smooth by fluting it and cerakoting it. Then put a BSF carbon barrel on it because people think it's cool, never mind that BSF barrels have a history of walking when they get hot. I'm sorry but this reminded me of this clip about democracy being government by the/of the/for the people:

the people.gif

I am looking at getting a peak 44 stock early next year for mine, keep the bolt as its, likely keep the barrel as is for now or maybe get it threaded so I can run a suppressor (also high on the list for end of the year purchases). Anything you would do different?

^this sounds a lot better than the new one if your current barrel shoots well.

Marshfly

WKR
Not sure who has seen it, but Weatherby just released a new rifle. Mk V action, carbon fiber barrel, carbon fiber stock, fluted bolt handle, fluted bolt, 2 spartan adaptors inset in the stock, barrel supposed to be shorter than other models threaded with a break. Honestly, it checks a lot of my boxes, and is light which is never bad unless you're shooting a lot and packing a little.

I have a MK V 6 lug synthetic model in 25-06 that I was looking at doing almost this exact build on. It seems like Weatherby is listening to the populous and I think it'll be a solid rifle. I am looking at getting a peak 44 stock early next year for mine, keep the bolt as its, likely keep the barrel as is for now or maybe get it threaded so I can run a suppressor (also high on the list for end of the year purchases). Anything you would do different?

-Drew
Go Peak 44 Bastion. I bought my Blacktooth about a month before they released the Bastion and wish I had that instead.

OP
B

bluedrew2

FNG
Sounds like the people have spoken, 25-06 is the way to go with current barrel (sans CF) and new stock with threaded barrel @ around 20" will be the ticket for now.

I too felt so much better behind the bastion stock vs the black tooth.

Thanks NSI, Blackfly, wind gypsy, and thinhorn_ak for the input.

Best,

-Drew

Reactions: NSI