Weather Station ideas?

COJoe

Lil-Rokslider
I'm sitting here inside my house listening to the wind hammer us outside and was wondering what the lastest wind gust reading was. The front range is getting the brunt of the wind today with more tonight. My Accu Weather phone app says the max wind gust so far has been 58 mph but I would like to know what it is in my backyard, lol. Anyone use the La Crosse weather station from Costco? The last post about it was in 2022 unless I missed another one. I am mainly interested in wind meter but a rain guage would be cool too. I had a weather station many years ago and enjoyed seeing the local conditions. Any other suggestions out there? I can watch the weather while I wait for my draw results to come in. :sleep:

Bluefish

WKR
I had one of the cheaper ones that was about $100. Anemometer lasted about 2 years. Replaced it with a Davis, better quality and went longer between battery changes. There is one that’s vortex based instead of an anemometer https://shop.tempest.earth/?ref=YHgyuMNh-XXN3l. I have not used it, but it would be my next purchase.

front range wind beats up a unit. I think we saw 70+ mph during a few winter blizzards.

Titan

WKR
I’ve used 3 or 4 brands. Only seem to last 2 years max. Lacrosse has been the most reliable and easiest to set up to view remotely.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
I have had 2 different Lacrosse systems that didn't last very long. If I were to to buy another, it would certainly be a Davis. Quite a bit more expensive, but I have been told good things about them from several folks.

OP
COJoe

COJoe

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks, looks like the Costco La Crosse is out of stock anyway. I'll check out the Davis unit and direct my sales pitch to my wife as it having greater longevity and worth the cost.....

Bluefish

WKR
Thanks, looks like the Costco La Crosse is out of stock anyway. I'll check out the Davis unit and direct my sales pitch to my wife as it having greater longevity and worth the cost.....
I would look at the tempest system. It’s all non contact, so no moving parts to wear out. even on the Davis unit I have never made the rain gauge work correctly. If I didnt have a functional unit I would be upgrading.

OP
COJoe

COJoe

Lil-Rokslider
fngTony, I was on that site this morning as I received an immediate evacuation warning for a large river bottom brush fire in Northeast Pueblo however the fire started yesterday but still smoldering today. I think it keyed in on my location for my work instead of my current home location on the Southside of Pueblo.

Bluefish, I'll check out the Tempest model also as the units with no moving parts would be interesting to checkout.

digixter

FNG
Check out the davis stations, we use those on a farm/manufacturing setting and they seem to work well, plus you can search for other davis weather station hosts on a map within the app and check out local weather at a glimpse.

Tater86

Lil-Rokslider
I love my Ambient Weather Station. I have mine set up my camp to monitor all of the weather up there including inside temp and humidity. It has been great for the last 4 years and tracks all of the history as well.

IDLassie

Lil-Rokslider
Ran Davis weather instruments for years on fire lookouts. The only one I know that quit was hit with slurry during a fire close to the lookout. It got painted red along with my windows.

LeftyWilbury

Lil-Rokslider
I'll second the Ambient Weather WS-2902. Have had it in my backyard 15 months now. No problems. Made the "mistake" to set it to update every five minutes instead of 1 or 2 so I don't get to see the instantaneous gust of wind ravaging my backyard, but batteries are still good after two winters transmitting 70 feet from yard to base in kitchen. App on my phone and URL in my browser for when I want to know how nice it is at home while I rot at work.

I've had an Acurite for years. One of the cups broke for the anemometer broke but I just glued it back and still going strong. No Wifi or app, but does have wireless transmission of data. When I need a new, going with a Tempest.