We went to Alaska

Man, awesome write up! Superb documenting! Being on a moose hunt, even if you aren't the shooter, is special. I'm sure Colin couldn't be happier with the way it turned out. Way cool and great memories.

Looks very similar to my cousins bull.... going to say 58.5" 55.5” (after seeing the video)

Last edited:

RR2012

Lil-Rokslider
Fantastic write up! Loved following along. Thanks for sharing congrats!!👍🏼

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
Nope. It was cut up into manageable pieces, chilled and double bagged with contractor bags, put into fish boxes and flew home with us on Friday ( two days after we flew out of the lake)

I’ll let the score guesses simmer a day or two longer

Slugz

WKR
Thanks for taking the time writing this up, pics and videos. Really appreciate it.

CMF

WKR
Awesome Story and pics! I'll go 61.5".
Is there a max to the number of fish boxes you can fly home and will they fly them to any destinations? Also, what is ballpark cost per box?

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
Awesome Story and pics! I'll go 61.5".
Is there a max to the number of fish boxes you can fly home and will they fly them to any destinations? Also, what is ballpark cost per box?

We checked 12 items on our way home - including all meat boxes, gear bags and moose rack.
Total was $800

Not sure if there’s a limit

thedutchtouch

Lil-Rokslider
awesome job, great thread. i dont care about the spread, looks like your friend is super happy and that's all that matters! (well that and getting the meat home to eat!)

to people asking about checking bags etc -look into your airline's policies- i recently found out that for the extra bags, fees are the same to check a 50 lb box or a 100 lb box. (check Alaska airlines - "If a checked bag falls into more than one fee category (piece number, oversize, overweight), only the higher, single fee is charged." https://www.alaskaair.com/content/travel-info/baggage/checked-bags so for the 3rd and all subsequent boxes, it makes a lot of sense to duct tape two 49.5 lb boxes together and pay a single "bag" fee. with i knew that a few years ago when we brought a few hundred lbs of salmon and halibut home. hope to put the knowledge into use for an animal soon.

DunnCoHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for sharing! Posts like this are the best part of Rokslide. I hope to someday have an adventure like that

Cml5895

FNG
Hey guys! I am the one who was lucky enough to share this moose camp with @cnelk. To say this trip was unforgettable is an understatement for me. I learned so much in our time of travel and hunting. The bull I ended up killing was just the sugar on top of the entire adventure. The moose meat is all eaten, the European mount just got it's third dusting in my living room, and the pictures fall further into my camera roll everyday but the knowledge and memories I made from this time in Alaska come up daily.

A huge takeaway from our trip together is how important it is to hunt with someone with like-minded goals and ideas of what you are going to get from a hunt like this. We left Colorado on the same page that we wanted to be safe, have fun and ultimately do our best to kill a moose. And we returned to Colorado with all three of those boxes checked.

Cnelk's write up does such a good job at capturing the details and it brought back all the emotions, sounds (or lack of sound), sights and even smells from that September! Like he said, if you want to do it, do it now when you can!

Last edited: