Wax or leather conditioner?

Luked

WKR
Ok got a question for you boot gurus.
I have had my Lowa Tibets for a year and have worn them a lot and they are a comfortable boot. Took me a bit of experimenting to get an insole that I liked.

The problem is these dang things squeak when I walk. It sounds like a leather on leather rubbing squeak to me.
I haven't tried any kind of leather boot wax or conditioner or anything like that but am thinking about giving it a try.
What wax or conditioner would you guys suggest trying on these things. I don't want to have to try and switch boots right now this close to season coming.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Smokeslider

Lil-Rokslider
I prefer Grangers Waterproofing wax. I wash my boots with saddle soap and apply wax while boots are warm and still wet. Seems to work for my needs.

I can tell you if you use anything but what the manufacturer suggests they will void your warranty.

Obenhofs soaks in and conditions the leather the best but has natural products. Danner boots in adamit that it rots the stitching.

I use kenetrek wax, because I have a big jar.
I also believe the waterproof liner is bound to fail at some point and if you use a product that beads the water the liner has less to contend with.

OP
Luked

Luked

WKR
I think I just figured out my squeak.
Last summer I put in some insoles from REI that are SOLE brand. They fit great and feel good but have a cork bottom. I'm going to swap to some other insoles tonight and see if thr noise goes away. I'm betting it does.

After being neglected and stored in a hot/humid shop in Oklahoma I thought my Lowa Hunter GTX Extremes (the older ones, not the EVO) were done for. I cleaned them up and applied Obenauf’s LP. They have been revived and are as comfortable, waterproof and quiet as ever. I wore them for a good bit during late October last year. When my Lowa Tibet GTX start looking ratty I’ll use the same stuff on them.

Hunters on left - Tibet on right
image.jpg

Last edited:

EdP

WKR
I've been a fan of the "heat boots and use snowseal" approach for about 4 decades (since before Goretex) because it was the best waterproofer I found, but have been questioning it recently. Snow seal contains silicone in addition to beeswax. A few months back I sent my Asolo TPS 520s to be resoled because the rubber rands were separating from the leather. They were rejected for resoling because the leather was "too soft." Although I have been hiking in these boots for 10-12 years, there is still a lot of life left in the leather and some in the soles. The problem is the rands separating. I have to wonder if the problem is the silicone in Sno Seal softening the leather. I've been thinking that with a Goretex lined boot maybe I don't need anything more than wax to protect the leather and let the Goretex take care of waterproofing.

OP
Luked

Luked

WKR
Really not concerned about my warrenty as they only have a year warrenty on them and that is out at the end of this month.
I have read a little about the snow seal stuff and seems like a lot of guys use it.

I have been using Huberds boot grease for the past several years and really like it. I clean off the boots with a wet rag and then apply the grease on a hot summer day and let the boots sit out in the sun and it soaks in. Wipe off any excess with a rag and you're good to go.