Waterproof Bivy

shootnrun

Lil-Rokslider
I have a lightweight bivy which works great for summer lightweight trips or crashing under a tarp and such, but I'm curious what is out there for later season fully waterproof Bivy's. I am in Washington, so taking off with my lightweight bivy and risking it could prove detrimental to comfort or survival.. Let me know what you've got or recommend!

Rian

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I prefer a lightweight bivy and tarp myself. When I look at the weight of a fully waterproof bivy compared to a lightweight bivy and tarp, I don't see the advantage. With a tarp, you also can keep your gear under cover and you get more airflow.

Beastmode

WKR
I prefer a lightweight bivy and tarp myself. When I look at the weight of a fully waterproof bivy compared to a lightweight bivy and tarp, I don't see the advantage. With a tarp, you also can keep your gear under cover and you get more airflow.
I would have to agree with this. Plus the stove option is pretty nice too.

luke moffat

Super Moderator

Agree with Justin for sure. Most of those fully waterproof stand alone bivies barely have room to pull your boots inside with you out of the rain and if the weather sucks it means you get to cook and eat in the rain too. :)

Though I prefer a bit more protection than just a tarp myself. I like to be fully enclosed. If going solo or a short 1-2 nighter with my wife I will usually use a bearpaw designs Pyratent in cuben. I believe with enough stakes to guyout all the points its roughly 20-21 oz. Add a lightweight bivy and its still only 28 oz or so or 1.75 pounds for my solo shelter that has roughly 60 sq ft full enclosed so the wind can change over night and I don't have to worry about changing the pitch in the event the wind changes like you might with a tarp shelter. Worth the extra weight IMO. You can leave the door wide open if you like to get the tarp feel but I feel the lightweight tipi style design gives more options and 60 sq ft out of the wind/rain for you and your gear sure beats waiting out storms by slithering into a waterproof bivy.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Agree with Justin for sure. Most of those fully waterproof stand alone bivies barely have room to pull your boots inside with you out of the rain and if the weather sucks it means you get to cook and eat in the rain too. :)

Though I prefer a bit more protection than just a tarp myself. I like to be fully enclosed. If going solo or a short 1-2 nighter with my wife I will usually use a bearpaw designs Pyratent in cuben. I believe with enough stakes to guyout all the points its roughly 20-21 oz. Add a lightweight bivy and its still only 28 oz or so or 1.75 pounds for my solo shelter that has roughly 60 sq ft full enclosed so the wind can change over night and I don't have to worry about changing the pitch in the event the wind changes like you might with a tarp shelter. Worth the extra weight IMO. You can leave the door wide open if you like to get the tarp feel but I feel the lightweight tipi style design gives more options and 60 sq ft out of the wind/rain for you and your gear sure beats waiting out storms by slithering into a waterproof bivy.

Luke, I've been eyeing that Pryatent. Couple of questions----can you stake it at ground level ? and is there enough room in there for a 6 foot person to have their bag/sleeping system not touch any of the sides? You have any photos of that setup? I currently use the copper spur UL1 but have been really thinking hard about floorless with a quilt. The pryatent looks like a great setup with a lot of room.

Thanks for any info.

Randy

I bivy off the ground. It's called a hammock. With the proper insulation, tarp and sleeping bag/quilt, they are 4 season options. Ideal for solo trips when packing a stove and stuff is a PITA. I use a 4 season Clark. https://www.junglehammock.com/product/nx-270-camping-hammock

There were ground tents on those pads in the evening before the rainstorm. LOL Funny they weren't there in the morning.

weir1.jpg

Setting up your campsite in under 3 minutes. Complete with upside down tarp. LOL

[video=youtube;ZuWTfC_fOgA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuWTfC_fOgA[/video]

Last edited:
Luke, I've been eyeing that Pryatent. Couple of questions----can you stake it at ground level ? and is there enough room in there for a 6 foot person to have their bag/sleeping system not touch any of the sides? You have any photos of that setup? I currently use the copper spur UL1 but have been really thinking hard about floorless with a quilt. The pryatent looks like a great setup with a lot of room.

Thanks for any info.

Randy
This question was directed at Luke but I can answer it. Yes you can stake it tight to the ground (I think that is what you are asking), and yes, a 6' person will have plenty of room without touching the walls. Here is a picture of my old one with a regular length thermarest and a picture with my sleep system which is also regular length (roughly 72").

Attachments

• 28.jpg
    28.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 68
  • 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 74

Lil-Rokslider
Bruce....that would be great if you have trees to hang a hammock. Not many places to use a hammock in Alaska or at least North Alaska.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
This question was directed at Luke but I can answer it. Yes you can stake it tight to the ground (I think that is what you are asking), and yes, a 6' person will have plenty of room without touching the walls. Here is a picture of my old one with a regular length thermarest and a picture with my sleep system which is also regular length (roughly 72").

Greg, what did you not like about it?

Randy

Beastmode

WKR
I bivy off the ground. It's called a hammock. With the proper insulation, tarp and sleeping bag/quilt, they are 4 season options. Ideal for solo trips when packing a stove and stuff is a PITA. I use a 4 season Clark. https://www.junglehammock.com/product/nx-270-camping-hammock

There were ground tents on those pads in the evening before the rainstorm. LOL Funny they weren't there in the morning.

weir1.jpg

Setting up your campsite in under 3 minutes. Complete with upside down tarp. LOL

[video=youtube;ZuWTfC_fOgA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuWTfC_fOgA[/video]
Bruce how is it riding out a bad storm in one of those? That's the reason I haven't tried using a hammock yet. I enjoy a little room to move around when I'm riding out a storm for a day or 2.

Bruce how is it riding out a bad storm in one of those? That's the reason I haven't tried using a hammock yet. I enjoy a little room to move around when I'm riding out a storm for a day or 2.

I don't hunker down much, wind and rain and snow rarely keep me immobile. I can fish or pack up and find another spot cuz I pack accordingly. I hunted everyday in a week long snowstorm with visibility limited to 100-1000 yards the whole time. There was one day when the thunderstorms were so friggin' crazy and the winds were pushing trees over that I remained in my hammock for 18 hrs...swaying in the breeze. I took a sleeping pill and slept through it. Never would have lasted there in a tent. The ground was saturated, running or standing water everywhere. If the weather is so furious that I cannot do anything outdoors...I go to a hotel or cabin or B&B, watch TV and dine out until I can get back out. Sitting anywhere for a day or more would drive me crazy. Just don't do it. I've caught a lot of fishing on rainy days. Most of my travels are planned out carefully in advance so I can avoid getting hammered for prolonged periods of time. I always have a plan B.

Last edited:

Beastmode

WKR
I have had some pretty nasty storms get me stuck. I always ride them out because it is the best hunting I have ever seen after a storm like that. Most storms in the Sierras are fairly minor and only last a few hours. Coastal storms produce 50 mph winds and 2 inches an hour for rain for multiple hours make the animals hunker down in some spots you will not see them. This is why I won't use a hammock. I need more square footage of coverage. I would rather ride the storm out for 12+ hours than hike out in the rain.

I have had some pretty nasty storms get me stuck. I always ride them out because it is the best hunting I have ever seen after a storm like that. Most storms in the Sierras are fairly minor and only last a few hours. Coastal storms produce 50 mph winds and 2 inches an hour for rain for multiple hours make the animals hunker down in some spots you will not see them. This is why I won't use a hammock. I need more square footage of coverage. I would rather ride the storm out for 12+ hours than hike out in the rain.

The NW coastal rainforests are reknown for long storms and major flooding. Been there, seen that. But if you are chasing Rosies well, whatcha gonna do? Are you hunting near any logging roads? If so, this might be an alternative that'll appeal to you.

luke moffat

Super Moderator

Thanks for that Troutbum. Saved me some typing!

There was one day when the thunderstorms were so friggin' crazy and the winds were pushing trees over that I remained in my hammock for 18 hrs...swaying in the breeze. I took a sleeping pill and slept through it.
Being tied to, or even close to, trees being blown over while doped up on sleep meds is too sporty for me!

Being tied to, or even close to, trees being blown over while doped up on sleep meds is too sporty for me!

Ya learn to look for specific locations/trees to hang from. A hammock gives you 100 times more options cuz you don't need a flat piece of ground with no rocks, roots, etc. You can hang on a 60 degree slope. Whenever you are camping in a major storm capable of blowing down trees you face the same threat. Location-Location-Location. You're no safer in a tent and in fact, if lightninig strikes you are more at risk cuz your wet tent floor will provide a lot of conductive contact. My hammock has two Whoopie Slings that would likely minimize conductivity. That's my rationale anyway. Lightning kinda freaks me out...seen some storms in AZ that were insane. Check this guy out: http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-23621324

lightning-gc-birdie_guy.jpg