Waterfowl loads for a 20 gauge SX4

RocketRob16

Lil-Rokslider
Like others have noted, Kent Fasteel is my favorite as well. It’s all about how the choke/load combo work though. Spend some time shooting at paper to find what works best for you. If you are thinking about Boss shells, just be aware that they have been known to have primer issues here and there. Had a buddy shooting them a while back and Boss sent him a bunch of new shells when he told them about the issue. Hopefully they’ve got that all straightened out now, they perform phenomenally on ducks and geese.

Timplant

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up a 24'' SX4 20ga this year as well! shot a limit of teal opening day with #2's and a code black duck (or goose can't remember) choke, I have a 28'' 12ga SX3 I've had for 12 years that i absolutely love. all of hunting partners shoot benelli and browinings, and I'm the only one who takes one gun on trips because I can cycle light stuff (7/8 low brass) for grouse/squirrels and clays.

I've had great luck with Boss 3in 5's. I burn through about 3 cases a year and have 0 complaints. Go one choke tighter than normal steel and you will be very happy with the results.

For you guys that are shooting the 3” Kents are you shooting the 7/8 load or something else? I just picked up a couple boxes as I’m switching to the 20 gauge Benelli m2 this year.

And on that note, any choke recommendations? I’d like to stick to a factory Benelli if I can but not opposed to buying a new one.

mtmiller

WKR
I've been very happy with Black Cloud 2's or 3's 3" for a few years on late season mallards and Canadas over decoys.
49392395411_91646a7066_4k.jpg

Taudisio

WKR
I've been very happy with Black Cloud 2's or 3's 3" for a few years on late season mallards and Canadas over decoys.
49392395411_91646a7066_4k.jpg
The black clouds are only 1350fps, really restricting the 20 gauge distance IME. Fine for 20/30 yard decoying birds, but you’ll have to pass on more of the skirting birds.

Great photo, looks like a perfect day!

Rufus

Lil-Rokslider
Love shooting a 20. Had excellent results on pheasants, ducks and sharp tails with either Steel 2’s or 3’s going 1500 to 1550fps. Kent fast steel or Winchester xperts were what I used the most. Also Fiocchi. With that said, my all time favorite was the Kent impact (tungsten matrix) loads. #5’s were just awesome. Never felt handicapped at all with that load. Can’t find them anymore. Wish I could. Thanks. -Rufus