Waterfowl loads for a 20 gauge SX4

Rogue Bay

WKR
I ordered a Winchester SX4 for my wife from our local, small town sporting goods store. They had some trouble finding one from their regular suppliers so it’s been months of waiting. Long story short, they finally tracked one down and had it delivered.

When I went in to do the paperwork I noticed it was a 20 gauge. We really wanted a 12 gauge with a 26” barrel for her, mostly because it swings nice for her and I fully intended to use it for waterfowl hunting (I didn’t tell her that though). Given the long wait, the friendship with the store owner and the acknowledgment that it was just miscommunication, I completed the paperwork. For better or worse, we’re getting a 20 gauge.

I know a decent number of duck hunters are using sub gauges for ducks now so does anyone have any thoughts as to which nontoxic loads are performing best? I’ll use my trusty 12 gauge Browning Auto Gold most of the time, but like the swing of 26” barrel as opposed to my 28” so I may use it from time to time.

For what my wife will use it for (grouse and quail) the 20 will probably be better. I’m just a little disappointed because I really had my heart set on the 12. I know, it’s not all about me. 🤣

Any input on ammo would be greatly appreciated.

TxLite

WKR
I’ve killed a bunch with the Kent fast steel and Remington nitro steel. Not sure if either performed better than the other but both kill ducks and functioned fine in my wife’s Affinity.

I ordered a Winchester SX4 for my wife from our local, small town sporting goods store. They had some trouble finding one from their regular suppliers so it’s been months of waiting. Long story short, they finally tracked one down and had it delivered.

When I went in to do the paperwork I noticed it was a 20 gauge. We really wanted a 12 gauge with a 26” barrel for her, mostly because it swings nice for her and I fully intended to use it for waterfowl hunting (I didn’t tell her that though). Given the long wait, the friendship with the store owner and the acknowledgment that it was just miscommunication, I completed the paperwork. For better or worse, we’re getting a 20 gauge.

I know a decent number of duck hunters are using sub gauges for ducks now so does anyone have any thoughts as to which nontoxic loads are performing best? I’ll use my trusty 12 gauge Browning Auto Gold most of the time, but like the swing of 26” barrel as opposed to my 28” so I may use it from time to time.

For what my wife will use it for (grouse and quail) the 20 will probably be better. I’m just a little disappointed because I really had my heart set on the 12. I know, it’s not all about me. 🤣

Any input on ammo would be greatly appreciated.
The 20 will kill whatever you hunt. Geese go 3in 2,1,or bb. For duck 3in 2,3,or 4.

OP
Rogue Bay

Rogue Bay

WKR
Thank you very much for the information. I’ve had good luck with Kent Fast Steel in my 12 but I haven’t ever used it in a 20.

What’s your feeling on effective killing range with the 20?

bwhntMT

Lil-Rokslider
You might look at some of the info from Jimmy Miller, of Muller choke. To me, the guy makes sense when he talks loads and potential myths about speed and shot count. If it were me, I'd look at 1 oz of #4's around that 1300 fps mark.

Not topic related
I have an sx4 12g
My buddy has 20g sx4
We both have had trigger pins
(Pins holding the trigger guard in place)
Rattle loose after roughly 200 rnds of clay shooting Standard game and target loads

Taudisio

WKR
I dedicated 2 years of waterfowl work to a 20 gauge. Shot hundreds of birds. I felt my effective range dropped by about 10 yards. Still very effective for 40 yards and under. Watch the velocities on 20 gauge steel loads. A lot of brands drop them low. My favorite load in the gun was 1500fps 2’s. Winchester xperts IIRC. Geese, ducks, pheasants, turkeys, (killed 2 bucks with that shotgun) it didn’t matter. My 20 gauge is a mossberg 500 with a briley full choke (stock modified for deer slugs). I kept up with buddies shooting 12 gauges and didn’t feel handicapped unless geese were skirting that “effective range”
I stopped shooting it when I moved out of the state and stopped chasing waterfowl as hard. I bought my wife a semi auto 20 for a turkey gun. She will grab it every time over a 12 gauge.

Attachments

• IMG_0703.jpeg
    IMG_0703.jpeg
    327.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0555.jpeg
    IMG_0555.jpeg
    157.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2954.jpeg
    IMG_2954.jpeg
    353.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0716.jpeg
    IMG_0716.jpeg
    167.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0751.jpeg
    IMG_0751.jpeg
    414.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0744.jpeg
    IMG_0744.jpeg
    288 KB · Views: 17
OP
Rogue Bay

Rogue Bay

WKR
Thank you everyone for the replies and great information. I figured it would be fine but had myself so worked up I was starting to doubt. Thanks for the reassurance and load info. I’m excited to give it a try!

Bassman

Lil-Rokslider
I know they're expensive but the Boss copper shells are legit out of a 20 gauge. Ducks are belly up dead before hitting the water. I was not a believer until I tried some. If looking for steel, I use Kent

Kent fast steel 3" #2's for geese, anything 3-5's for ducks, depending on range. Most my duck hunting is tight, steel 6's are fine. Field shooting geese I don't go past 40 yards with it.

Pattern it, find what gives you the most well distributed pattern with enough pellet count at the ranges you figure on using it.

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
20ga #2 steel will work for Geese. I like Hevi-Bismuth #2s specifically for geese. Just a littler more punch being bismuth.

Anything #2 to #5s for ducks.

Often times I just shoot #2s the entire season, that way if I'm duck hunting and a bonus goose pops in, I'm good to go. I have zero issues with 2s at ducks.

Group of guys and I went to ND one yr and a buddy brought 4s and after the first day switched to 2s just cuz of more knock down power.

If I'm in timber tho. I'll use 4s.

This yr my go-to loads are:

Geese
12 ga BBs
20ga Bismuth 2s
28ga Tungsten 4s

Ducks
12 ga steel #2s
20 ga steel #2s
28ga Bismuth #4s

Never been upset at a bird that's TOO dead with bigger shot